IGNORED

I received my Yggdrasil, and have a question...

The megaburrito filter operates at DXD levels but again, Unison is new so it will take awhile before it is redone. While there are more and more native DXD recordings released now, they sound great at 24/192 and 24/176.4. I would not expect it until Yggy 3 is released.

I was rather disappointed by my Yggy at first.  After a couple days I started appreciating what it does well.  It’s not going to do everything better than every DAC.  I spent weeks going back and forth between it and my Mirus Pro and ultimately the Yggy ticked the most important boxes for me and stayed and eventually the Mirus was sold.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

3 hours ago, JoeWhip said:

The megaburrito filter operates at DXD levels but again, Unison is new so it will take awhile before it is redone. While there are more and more native DXD recordings released now, they sound great at 24/192 and 24/176.4. I would not expect it until Yggy 3 is released.

I'm in no hurry. The Yggy is in my secondary system anyway. I bought it based on how much I liked the Modi Multibit when plugged into my Mcintosh versus the DA2 module inside it.

No electron left behind.

The Yggy has been covered a lot over its life span and though I have no experience with one, the seemingly unanimous consensus from the threads I skimmed, is this is one DAC that is to be left on 24/7 without question.  Maybe its different with this version, dunno

My rig

11 hours ago, JoeWhip said:

I am sending native, non upsampled bits to it now, letting the mega burrito filter do its thing.

No electron left behind.

39 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

I am sending native, non upsampled bits to it now, letting the mega burrito filter do its thing.

Yep that’s the way to do it.  In fact I find that the Yggy is weaker than other DAC’s I’ve had with hires content.  Just my subjective opinion.  It’s the redbook king IMO.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

Would be interesting to hear what shit says if asked about burn-in considering the fact that they try pretty hard to poke fun at every "high-end" snake oil theory that exists when you read the text found on their website.

But despite this, it sounds like many of their customers are convinced that burn-in is indeed required to get the sound your expecting from their products.

I remember it taking about 3 weeks to break in and sound really good.

Also, after cutting power to it (which I've had to do a few times over the years), I don't think it sounds right for maybe 2-3 days.

By the way, the Unison upgrade is great if anyone is on the fence about it.

11 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

Yes, however they say a few days to hear a difference, not an entire month...

I didn’t hear much for change after the first few days.  I suspect it was just me getting used to it at that point.

Listen to it for a couple weeks and then go back to your other DAC for a couple weeks.  Repeat if need be.  If you don’t find things that you like more with the Yggy in extended listening it’s not the DAC for you.

59 minutes ago, Dr Tone said:

I didn’t hear much for change after the first few days.  I suspect it was just me getting used to it at that point.

Listen to it for a couple weeks and then go back to your other DAC for a couple weeks.  Repeat if need be.  If you don’t find things that you like more with the Yggy in extended listening it’s not the DAC for you.

The DA2 module in my McIntosh MAC7200? I can tell you that's probably not going to happen considering I like the Modi Multibit more than I do the DA2. I do have another DAC I can plug into it, although that's not what I bought it for.

No electron left behind.

On 6/22/2020 at 10:53 AM, AudioDoctor said:

I'm in no hurry. The Yggy is in my secondary system anyway. I bought it based on how much I liked the Modi Multibit when plugged into my Mcintosh versus the DA2 module inside it.

its always possible that the lampizator you have has set too high a bar for the Yggy to jump 🙂

Had a Gumby I sold because it didn't do low bass well, how do you feel the Yggy does on on bass drum whacks for felt vs heard bass?

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

1 minute ago, davide256 said:

its always possible that the lampizator you have has set too high a bar for the Yggy to jump 🙂

Had a Gumby I sold because it didn't do low bass well, how do you feel the Yggy does on on bass drum whacks for felt vs heard bass?

Well, I have a Zu sub, so I am not sure if it is a fair comparison, but I am very happy with the bass and the thwacks I get at the moment.

That's possible the Lampi has spoiled me for everything else, but I don't think so. The Mc has it's uses in my household. Everyone can use it, the ARC input on the DA2 is proving useful, and if I want to listen to speakers I can use the Yggy. Plus, it has an FM tuner, so I can put MPR on while I work in the basement.

No electron left behind.

1 hour ago, AudioDoctor said:

The DA2 module in my McIntosh MAC7200? I can tell you that's probably not going to happen considering I like the Modi Multibit more than I do the DA2. I do have another DAC I can plug into it, although that's not what I bought it for.

Ok that makes sense, I hated the DAC in my C46 as well harsh highs and exaggerated bloated bass.  Add in the pops when switching back and forth between DSD and PCM...

13 minutes ago, Dr Tone said:

Ok that makes sense, I hated the DAC in my C46 as well harsh highs and exaggerated bloated bass.  Add in the pops when switching back and forth between DSD and PCM...

The DA2 has finally eliminated the pops.

No electron left behind.

Hi Guys,

is there any consensus how Yggy should be connected for best SQ to a single-ended preamp with RCA connectors?

XLR to RCA converters

or

RCA to RCA?

Thanks

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

8 minutes ago, matthias said:

Hi Guys,

is there any consensus how Yggy should be connected for best SQ to a single-ended preamp with RCA connectors?

XLR to RCA converters

or

RCA to RCA?

Thanks

Matt

I would recommend using the balanced output of the Yggdrasil, with a balanced cable design, properly terminated with RCA plugs at the preamp end (pin 3 and shield connected to RCA shield/ground at the preamp end).  Most good cable companies will make a custom termination of their cables for you like this.  I am sure Iconoclast, Nordost, and Cardas will do it.  If you plan to have this set up for awhile, then make the investment in a properly terminated cable, as using adapters will come with compromises.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio