IGNORED

I received my Yggdrasil, and have a question...

8 minutes ago, matthias said:

Hi Guys,

is there any consensus how Yggy should be connected for best SQ to a single-ended preamp with RCA connectors?

XLR to RCA converters

or

RCA to RCA?

Thanks

Matt

I would recommend using the balanced output of the Yggdrasil, with a balanced cable design, properly terminated with RCA plugs at the preamp end (pin 3 and shield connected to RCA shield/ground at the preamp end).  Most good cable companies will make a custom termination of their cables for you like this.  I am sure Iconoclast, Nordost, and Cardas will do it.  If you plan to have this set up for awhile, then make the investment in a properly terminated cable, as using adapters will come with compromises.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

2 hours ago, matthias said:

@JoeWhip

@barrows

The question is if pin3 should be connected to RCA ground or should be left unconnected.

What are the pros and cons?

Thanks

Matt

Think of the connection as being about the difference between two wires.  Balanced to single ended, would take the difference between pin 2 and pin 3.  To achieve the same difference signal at the single ended input, pin 2 connects to hot (RCA center pin) and pin 3 connects to ground, keeping the difference signal the same.  This approach also allows the cable run to still provide common mode rejection on its way to the preamp.

Another point though: I would only choose the use the balanced outputs this way if the single ended output is derived just from half of the balanced signal (using pin 2 referenced to ground).  There is a better way some DACs can create their single ended outputs: one can take the balanced signal, and then sum it to a single ended signal through an active balanced to single ended converter (or using a transformer, but that is less common).  The advantage of this approach, is that it takes advantage of the common mode distortion/noise rejection of the balanced output, and provides that same advantage on the single ended outputs.  If the Yggdrasil uses an active balanced to single ended stage internally, then I would just run RCA cables to the single ended preamp.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

• 3 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

I am fighting myself and trying to remember that the DAC doesn't need those 4 bits anyway, it just feels wrong to be doing this, but this is what I am trying now.

Screen Shot 2020-07-16 at 1.28.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-16 at 1.28.49 PM.png

Do not worry...  No one can hear below about 16 to maybe 18 bits in room anyway, there is not enough DR to do that, it is impossible.  What you do want to achieve is less distracting quantization error which can fold into the audible bandwidth, and by setting the HQPlayer output to 20 bits you may be avoiding that.  This kind of depends on how the oversampling/filtering is done in the Yggdrasil vs. HQPlayer.

SONORE computer audio