BigAlMc

Best Optical config with router, switch and EtherRegen

12 hours ago, BigAlMc said:

(Audiophile accounting that convinces yourself its cheaper to buy something 😅)

Hey, "audiophile accounting" is what puts my kids through college! x-D 

(But since UpTone is about offering good products a reasonable prices, our offspring only get to go to state colleges.  And now with Covid19 our bedrooms are their dorm rooms...:S)

20 minutes ago, Superdad said:

And now with Covid19 our bedrooms are their dorm rooms...:S)

Haha!

Hey Alex, you're only getting some sympathy if you assure us the kids aren't in their dorm/bedrooms sweating over books on electrical regulation, ripple control and the encyclopedia Johnius Swensonius 😆

Cheers,

Alan

EtherRegen > Innuos Zenith SE server > Innuos Phoenix > PS Audio Directstream DAC > Hegel P20 Pre > PS Audio M700 monoblocks > Salk Sound Supercharged Songtowers

Question for you @BigAlMc.  Every try running your DAC straight into your amps (bypassing your Hegel pre)?  I was under the impression your DAC had a really good volume control. 

Digital:  Innuos Zenith Std Mk2 > Shunyata Sigma USB > Chord Hugo M-Scaler > Wireworld Gold Startlight > OPTO DX > Shunyata Alpha S/PDIF > Chord Hugo TT2 

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali power conditioner, Shunyata Alpha power cords, Shunyata Alpha interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD60 speaker cables, ASC isothermal tube traps

1 hour ago, kennyb123 said:

Question for you @BigAlMc.  Every try running your DAC straight into your amps (bypassing your Hegel pre)?  I was under the impression your DAC had a really good volume control. 

Funnily enough its on the list.

I'm putting it off as involves proper climbing behind the rack and dissembling/reassembling everything. But it's planned soon.

Cheers,

Alan

EtherRegen > Innuos Zenith SE server > Innuos Phoenix > PS Audio Directstream DAC > Hegel P20 Pre > PS Audio M700 monoblocks > Salk Sound Supercharged Songtowers

3 minutes ago, BigAlMc said:

Funnily enough its on the list.

I'm putting it off as involves proper climbing behind the rack and dissembling/reassembling everything. But it's planned soon.

My guess is that you’ll be kicking yourself for not trying it sooner.  

Digital:  Innuos Zenith Std Mk2 > Shunyata Sigma USB > Chord Hugo M-Scaler > Wireworld Gold Startlight > OPTO DX > Shunyata Alpha S/PDIF > Chord Hugo TT2 

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali power conditioner, Shunyata Alpha power cords, Shunyata Alpha interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD60 speaker cables, ASC isothermal tube traps

Yeah quite possibly. A free upgrade.

Also PS Audio just released the M1200 power amps and people on PSA forum are saying they are a big improvement on the M700s that I have.

I barely use the Hegel for the purpose I bought it for. Flipping between music and AV bypass. So am thinking of selling the Hegel and M700s to help finance the M1200s.

But first I need to listen to the DAC direct to power amps and see if I like it.

On 6/27/2020 at 8:18 AM, kennyb123 said:

My guess is that you’ll be kicking yourself for not trying it sooner.  

Goddammit! 😏

Yup. After AB-ing the Phoenix vs nothing and vs TX-USBUltra yesterday I reconfigured the rack and took the Hegel out. The system was already sounding brilliant but the Directstream direct to the M700s (using Cerious Technologies graphene XLRs) added even more immediacy.

I feel like I'm only now hearing what my Salks are capable of. A free upgrade indeed and it was under my nose the whole time... 🤔

I guess this is kinda off topic but as the Op I'll allow it 😉

2 hours ago, BigAlMc said:

Goddammit! 😏

Yup. After AB-ing the Phoenix vs nothing and vs TX-USBUltra yesterday I reconfigured the rack and took the Hegel out. The system was already sounding brilliant but the Directstream direct to the M700s (using Cerious Technologies graphene XLRs) added even more immediacy.

I feel like I'm only now hearing what my Salks are capable of. A free upgrade indeed and it was under my nose the whole time... 🤔

I guess this is kinda off topic but as the Op I'll allow it 😉

Told you so 😀

I had a partial excuse for it being under my nose a long time - I had two sources so the preamp made sense.  Hearing the improvement from my DAC run directly into my amp is one of the things that lead me to narrowing down to a single source.  I didn’t listen to analog often enough to justify a preamp upgrade.

On 6/26/2020 at 7:28 AM, kennyb123 said:

I’m late to this but just wanted to confirm that OM to ER is wonderful with those Finisar SFPs.  A Farad Super3 improved the ER bringing maybe as much of an improvement as the ER itself.  The OM improved with better power but I haven’t spent much money at that end.  

Hello,

I remeber reading in a different thread that you have tried other SFPs with the ER, Planar too.

Eventually which one did you like the most?

I am looking for a new pair to connect my Lumin x1 to the ER....Thanks!

4 hours ago, kzs70 said:

Hello,

I remeber reading in a different thread that you have tried other SFPs with the ER, Planar too.

Eventually which one did you like the most?

I am looking for a new pair to connect my Lumin x1 to the ER....Thanks!

My current favorite is the Finisar FTLF1324P2BTL-MC, which is now end of life (but can be found on eBay).  There's a newer version, but I've not tried it.  I am very happy with the way things sound now as far as my network, so I'm going to try to stay put with these SFPs.