IGNORED

Best Optical config with router, switch and EtherRegen

I would think option A is the better method. You don’t want to clean everything up then stick a non-high-end bit (switch) back into the chain.

It is a bit unclear what is attached to EtherREGEN. I would think that on side A you have oM (fiber), server, TV and Apple TV then on side B just your endpoint. The oM would isolated that part of the network and the EtherREGEN would act as your hub.

In any case, I would try just one oM first before spending $$ on a second one.

My 2cents. 

3 minutes ago, ericuco said:

It is a bit unclear what is attached to EtherREGEN

Sorry, I'll try to make the current setup clearer:

ISP router > Ethernet > Switch > Ethernet > (A-side) EtherRegen (B side) > ethernet > Innuos Zenith SE

Cheers,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm Audio MU1 server > (Sablon AES) Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Salk Sound Supercharged Songtowers

4 hours ago, BigAlMc said:

Sorry, I'll try to make the current setup clearer:

ISP router > Ethernet > Switch > Ethernet > (A-side) EtherRegen (B side) > ethernet > Innuos Zenith SE

Cheers,

Alan

Thanks for clarifying.  The EtherREGEN is a switch so why not use it as such and make it your center hub that connects oM (fiber), TV, Apple TV and server on side A. The “moat” to side B will isolate your endpoint even further.

6 hours ago, ericuco said:

The EtherREGEN is a switch so why not use it as such and make it your center hub that connects oM (fiber), TV, Apple TV and server on side A. The “moat” to side B will isolate your endpoint even further.

Yup I understand that the ER is a switch but rightly or wrongly I'm thinking;

A - my HiFi is way more fussy than my TV setup

B - not connecting the TV kit to the ER is protecting the HiFi from any noise they generate

C - adding Fibre optic upstream might further isolate the ER and introduce isolation for the TV kit

As usual in this crazy hobby I'm not sure there is a problem that needs fixed. I'm just wondering if there is a theoretical benefit that's worth experimenting with.

Cheers,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm Audio MU1 server > (Sablon AES) Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Salk Sound Supercharged Songtowers

Alan, I have recently bought one OM inserted between router and Etherregen.  B-side to an Antipodes EX. 

A-side of the ER is also the Roon server (innuos zen mini mk 3) and a normal LG telly. Nothing more. 

So SQ wise the OM brought another uptick. Even if the etherregen does a good job in improving the network signal it can be improved additionally with the OM. I am for now only using an Ifi power brick to power it but soon that will change to a Paul hynes SR 4. 

So I guess my example is more like your A. 

Vinnie Rossi LIO integrated amp with DAC, Sotm SMS-200 ultra/TX USB ultra, powered by an Uptone LPS-1 Audiostore Roonserver powered by a  HD plex PS. ASUS router AC 68 powered by a Teddy pardo PS, 

Speakers are standmounts Klångedang T1 with external crossover , Rega Planar 3 Lejonklou Slipsik phonostage

8 minutes ago, magnuska said:

Alan, I have recently bought one OM inserted between router and Etherregen.  B-side to an Antipodes EX. 

A-side of the ER is also the Roon server (innuos zen mini mk 3) and a normal LG telly. Nothing more. 

So SQ wise the OM brought another uptick. Even if the etherregen does a good job in improving the network signal it can be improved additionally with the OM. I am for now only using an Ifi power brick to power it but soon that will change to a Paul hynes SR 4. 

So I guess my example is more like your A. 

Thanks Magnuska

Nice to hear from you. And appreciate the input.

Cheers,

Alan

21 hours ago, BigAlMc said:

B. Router > ethernet >  Sonore Optical Module > 5m optical >  Sonore Optical Module > ethernet > Netgear switch > ethernet> EtherRegen > Hifi

My current setup is similar to the "B" option, but instead of using two OM, I use one between the switch and eR as follows:

Router > ethernet > XOCO clocked switch > 8M optical > Sonore Optical Module > ethernet > eR

In addition, using Planet MGB-TLX SFP also moved the SQ up a bit.

As a comparison, I started with just Router > ethernet > eR, liked the result, but later when added the XOCO clocked switch eR replaced in series, I was delighted to find SQ took a good step forward, so it stayed, and the addition of OM some time later brought another step forward in SQ.

22 minutes ago, elan120 said:

My current setup is similar to the "B" option, but instead of using two OM, I use one between the switch and eR as follows:

Router > ethernet > XOCO clocked switch > 8M optical > Sonore Optical Module > ethernet > eR

In addition, using Planet MGB-TLX SFP also moved the SQ up a bit.

As a comparison, I started with just Router > ethernet > eR, liked the result, but later when added the XOCO clocked switch eR replaced in series, I was delighted to find SQ took a good step forward, so it stayed, and the addition of OM some time later brought another step forward in SQ.

Thanks @elan120,

Nice to hear from you too.

And also appreciate the experience.

The consensus seems to be that an OM can improve the ER.

Pulled the trigger on an OM from the ever excellent Martin at Vortexbox.co.uk.

Also ordered a Buffalo BS-GU1016P to replace the £20 Netgear FS105.

So guess I'm all in now on the network tinkering malarkey 😆

The config I'm leaning towards (because it hopefully improves both audio and TV) is:

Router > FMC (TP link sitting around) > 5 meter fibre > OM > 1 meter ethernet > Buffalo switch > 1 meter ethernet > ER > 1 meter ethernet > Zenith

My thinking being that the OM feeds the Buffalo a nice clean signal and then everything downstream of it benefits with the TV kit connected to the Buffalo and the ER providing some isolation from the TV kit and the Zenith.

Obviously OM to ER is the other main way to go - but does that isolate the Zenith from the Buffalo's goodness? Guess I need to play around and see what works best.

Oh and I ordered two of these SFPs as they are getting praised over on WBF:   

Finisar FTLF1324P2BTV-B1

Cheers,

Alan

Same here, it is always delightful chatting with you.

With your BS-GU2016P coming, you really open up lots of combination to tinker with...😊

In addition to the configuration you stated, I would try the following as well to see if you have a preference:

Router > 1 meter ethernet > Buffalo switch > 5 meter fibre > ER > 1 meter ethernet > Zenith

Router > 1 meter ethernet > OM > 5 meter fibre  > Buffalo switch > 1 meter ethernet > ER > 1 meter ethernet > Zenith

Router > 1 meter ethernet > OM > 5 meter fibre  > Buffalo switch > 5 meter fiber > ER > 1 meter ethernet > Zenith

Finisar is one SFP I also plan to try once I am done with my power supply project.  I also read many praises on WBF, and looks like it is going to be system and personal choice between Finisar and Planet.

Regards,

Kevin

Thanks Kevin,

A weekend day of tinkering, playing the same song over and over, and generally driving my girlfriend up the wall beckons 😂

Cheers,

Alan

19 hours ago, BigAlMc said:

Thanks Magnuska

Nice to hear from you. And appreciate the input.

Cheers,

Alan

Thanks Alan, 🙂 Nice chatting to you too!

I had a couple of weeks now after installing the OM where Its not the best sound due to burn in, but yesterday it all loosened up again and sounding fine again. Its easy during burn in periods to maybe being a little down. Its dangerous during these moments to open up the wallet for more upgrades...but could easy happen..☺️

Vinnie Rossi LIO integrated amp with DAC, Sotm SMS-200 ultra/TX USB ultra, powered by an Uptone LPS-1 Audiostore Roonserver powered by a  HD plex PS. ASUS router AC 68 powered by a Teddy pardo PS, 

Speakers are standmounts Klångedang T1 with external crossover , Rega Planar 3 Lejonklou Slipsik phonostage

4 minutes ago, kennyb123 said:

I’m late to this but just wanted to confirm that OM to ER is wonderful with those Finisar SFPs.  A Farad Super3 improved the ER bringing maybe as much of an improvement as the ER itself.  The OM improved with better power but I haven’t spent much money at that end.  

Hey Kenny,

Not late at all. The party is just getting started 😄

Finisars arrived yesterday and OM due today. Also bought the Buffalo but I eff'd that one up as bought model without SFP ports but in the process of swapping it for the right one.

So all very much a work-in-progress.

I have a spare LPS-1 on had that will get me started for the OM. I have an LPS-1.2 currently on the ER but am awaiting a July batch SR4T to challenge it. Assuming it does then the LPS-1.2 moves upstream to the OM.

However. The Buffalo (with SFP once sorted) needs a 12V supply. I have an SPS-500 on hand which would potentially do the job. But I'm very tempted to order a 12V Farad and go ahead with selling the SPS-500.

Figure if I can get £250/300 for the SPS-500 so the Super3 doesn't cost much at all when I deduct that. (Audiophile accounting that convinces yourself its cheaper to buy something 😅)

Been reading great reports, including your own, on the Farad so very tempted. Would also open up a potential playoff of SR4T vs Farad on the ER which I assume will be device closest to my Zenith.

Lots to think about and plenty tinkering ahead.

Cheers,

Alan

40 minutes ago, BigAlMc said:

I have a spare LPS-1 on had that will get me started for the OM. I have an LPS-1.2 currently on the ER but am awaiting a July batch SR4T to challenge it. Assuming it does then the LPS-1.2 moves upstream to the OM.

The LPS-1 is a good choice for the OM.  If you don't move the LPS-1.2 over to it, consider getting a DXP regulator. I'm now powering my OM with an "el cheapo" power supply commonly found on eBay along with a single stage DXP.  I'm guessing the OM will scale further with a better supply but to my ears the OM seems to have vanished.  That was not the case with the Startech FMC that it replaced.

However. The Buffalo (with SFP once sorted) needs a 12V supply. I have an SPS-500 on hand which would potentially do the job. But I'm very tempted to order a 12V Farad and go ahead with selling the SPS-500.

@Abyss Man just replaced an SPS-500 with a Farad per just a bit of my nudging.  I hope he doesn't mind me quoting him, but in a PM to me he had this to say: "the Farad is really awesomeness personified".  Hopefully he can share more details.  

Been reading great reports, including your own, on the Farad so very tempted. Would also open up a potential playoff of SR4T vs Farad on the ER which I assume will be device closest to my Zenith.

Lots to think about and plenty tinkering ahead.

I must say these network improvements really surprised me.  I was particularly blown away but the fullness and more organic sound that came from giving the ER a better power supply.  Organic is a good way to describe the OM too.  Any sense of a mechanical signature gets stripped away.  From what others have reported, I'm pretty sure further gains can still be had if I work my way upstream.  I'm not really feeling much of a pull in that direction though - at least not yet.  

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Thanks @Abyss Man and @kennyb123

Think I'm pretty much sold.

Out of interest did you guys opt for the Farad fuse upgrades or IEC inlet upgrade?

Cheers,

Alan

4 hours ago, BigAlMc said:

Finisars arrived yesterday and OM due today. Also bought the Buffalo but I eff'd that one up as bought model without SFP ports but in the process of swapping it for the right one.

What Buffalo model did you get and what made you decide on that instead of HP, Cisco or even the microtik hats been referenced here?

My rig

2 hours ago, BigAlMc said:

Thanks @Abyss Man and @kennyb123

Think I'm pretty much sold.

Out of interest did you guys opt for the Farad fuse upgrades or IEC inlet upgrade?

Cheers,

Alan

Hi Alan,

If u are running Shunyata PC, as Ken recommended, it's best not to go with the IEC which are Rhodium plated. As for the fuse upgrade, I think you should definitely go for it. Currently I'm running SR20 fuses which were spares I had lying arnd. I will be getting the Orange fuses soon. I do have experience with SR fuses quite a bit as I use them on my amps and I've been through their entire range. LOL except the Black. The Orange really is a good upgrade. Hope this helps

7 hours ago, BigAlMc said:

As mentioned above, I skipped the IEC.  Sometimes dissimilar metals for metal-to-metal contact aren't the ideal.  The Furutech inlet is really good though so depending on your power cords it's a good option.

I didn't get the Orange fuses at the time of order as I wanted to hear the benefit.  I did install one in the Super3 powering my TT2.  Definitely worth it.  Surprising to me that a fuse can bring out better timbre but that's what I heard.  I will be buying more once I get a few things sold.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

5 hours ago, Foggie said:

What Buffalo model did you get and what made you decide on that instead of HP, Cisco or even the microtik hats been referenced here?

Hi,

Buffalo BS-GS2016

(Though I bought the wrong one, but should have bought this one)

I chose this one because of the commentary it's getting here (the Novel Way thread) and on WBF.

It's very similar to the Melco S100 which costs £2000, whereas this costs £100-200 and can be modded with better PSU etc to apparently being you closer to the SQ of the Melco.

[Melco is Buffalo's audio brand]

Cheers,

Alan

5 hours ago, Abyss Man said:

Hi Alan,

If u are running Shunyata PC, as Ken recommended, it's best not to go with the IEC which are Rhodium plated. As for the fuse upgrade, I think you should definitely go for it. Currently I'm running SR20 fuses which were spares I had lying arnd. I will be getting the Orange fuses soon. I do have experience with SR fuses quite a bit as I use them on my amps and I've been through their entire range. LOL except the Black. The Orange really is a good upgrade. Hope this helps

Thanks Abyss Man

Will do some reading but very tempted.

34 minutes ago, kennyb123 said:

As mentioned above, I skipped the IEC.  Sometimes dissimilar metals for metal-to-metal contact aren't the ideal.  The Furutech inlet is really good though so depending on your power cords it's a good option.

I didn't get the Orange fuses at the time of order as I wanted to hear the benefit.  I did install one in the Super3 powering my TT2.  Definitely worth it.  Surprising to me that a fuse can bring out better timbre but that's what I heard.  I will be buying more once I get a few things sold.

Likewise Kenny - much appreciated. Some weekend reading beckons 🙂

Cheers,

Alan

12 minutes ago, Foggie said:

Did not know that.

Found one of the posts:

Worth a read but comes with the health warning that it's pretty much sold out in Europe (as it appears there more of us audio nutters than we thought 😄)