IGNORED

LPS for NUC

On 6/18/2020 at 7:19 AM, novaca said:

Now I have NUC7PJYH. I would upgrade to the older NUC7i7DNBE if I got one - which should still be OK. I heard something about Farad Super19; 9A and a price similar to Nucleus...

Hi Novaca,

I'd suggest that your basic NUC is a bigger limitation on SQ than the delta between an SR4 and an SR4T. You'd probably be better investing your money in buying an i7 NUC like the i7DNBE you reference as the jump (I owned both) is substantial.

Also the Nucleus is just an NUC at twice the price for the privilege of a shiny Roon badge. Given Roons complete lack of interest in Sound Quality and their denial that hardware makes a difference (all hail the infallible RAAT!) it's the very last thing I'd buy.

Buy an i7. It'll be a bigger improvement. Then buy the SR4T because you know you want to 😉

Cheers,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

6 hours ago, novaca said:

Yes, Alan.
The Nuc i7 has been on my list (for some time). It is also probably true that the SR4T comes as a better choice than the SUPER3 (in the future I could use the SR4T other than to power the NUC due to the variable voltage).

So far as you could say, it is decided.

However, as time goes on, I still can't get rid of the idea of a built Xeon server. Unfortunately, I know that I will not have a power supply for this for a long time (at the SR4T level).

If anyone had an idea or experience what a NUC + SR4T versus Xeon server with a switching power supply + JCAT USB Femto with SR4T would sound like, I would be grateful. I know there are many variables, but... at least an estimate.
Thanks

Fair enough.

Just saying that the i7 upgrade costs the same as the SR4T upgrade and is likely to be a bigger bump in SQ. But if you're heading to Xeon then that's a different story. The upcoming Farad and Sean Jacobs DC4 are contenders then. But at a pretty penny!

Cheers,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

21 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

Can you supply us with more information about it ?

Not really, sorry.

I read on here that Farad is working on a higher amperage PSU. I think the Super3 is capable of around 3amps. From memory and I could well be wrong here they are working on a more powerful (pun intended) version that can do in the 6-8amps region.

I suspect the post I'm recalling is buried somewhere in the Novel Way thread.

Sorry for the vague info but I'm going from memory here.

Cheers,

Alan