IGNORED

Optical Networking & SFPs

47 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

People get screwed all the to time, and when some of us trying to give a friendly advice, they just don’t get it. Calling them morons is polite.

The thing is, they've made little to no effort in even making it look different. When I seen it, my first reaction was disbelief that they would put something out that basically looked exactly like a piece of kit that was already available but at 1/4 of the price. To me it just seems lazy and devious. 

7 hours ago, lake_eleven said:

I have started using OpticalModule with a cheapo 5V/2A LPS. OpticalModule is getting pretty hot, is this normal for the OM to get hot.

If it is anything like the Solarflare card I'm using getting HOT is normal, hey what do you expect ...it uses a laser ;-)

ISP, cat8.1, Zylix switch on LPS, Finisar <1321>Solarflare 8522, AMD 9, Aorus X570 Master, Corsair AX1200i, 16Gb Apacer Ram, Pink Faun I2S OCXO on LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Amethyst (modded to accept I2S), Klangfilm 204a, Klangfilm Trionor (3Tesla 835, JBL2402)

13 hours ago, MarcelNL said:

If it is anything like the Solarflare card I'm using getting HOT is normal, hey what do you expect ...it uses a laser ;-)

FWIW I've found the Intel x520 to get less hot. Check out the power consumption of the cards. What goes in comes out as light and heat and electrons. Assume the light and electrons to be the same across boards. Boards that consume more power, generate more heat.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

9 hours ago, jabbr said:

FWIW I've found the Intel x520 to get less hot. Check out the power consumption of the cards. What goes in comes out as light and heat and electrons. Assume the light and electrons to be the same across boards. Boards that consume more power, generate more heat.

I read the specs  for the Solarflare forwards and backwards its, saying it uses 7 Watts, it amazes me how much heat can be generated by 7 Watts....

ISP, cat8.1, Zylix switch on LPS, Finisar <1321>Solarflare 8522, AMD 9, Aorus X570 Master, Corsair AX1200i, 16Gb Apacer Ram, Pink Faun I2S OCXO on LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Amethyst (modded to accept I2S), Klangfilm 204a, Klangfilm Trionor (3Tesla 835, JBL2402)

21 hours ago, MarcelNL said:

I read the specs  for the Solarflare forwards and backwards its, saying it uses 7 Watts, it amazes me how much heat can be generated by 7 Watts....

Well … the heat generated is guaranteed to be <= 7 watts if that’s the consumption. The Intel is 1/2 that. Get one of those LED cooking thermometers and check the chip temps on the running boards …

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

From a subjective point of view, adding an opticalModule before an etherREGEN improved the high frequencies of my system. Months after adding a second eR, I tried removing the oM and found that it no longer improved the sound.  Since that means fewer boxes and less heat, this is a better option for me (guess I'll sell the oM and the LPS since I do not foresee using it later).

Context is important:  in-wall cat 6 utp feeds the eR, so the oM was connected with 1 meter of fiber.  I would think a long run of fiber from router to your system, using single-mode SFP, might yield a different result.  

Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3       Cables:  Kubala-Sosna

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

33 minutes ago, PYP said:

Context is important:  in-wall cat 6 utp feeds the eR, so the oM was connected with 1 meter of fiber.  I would think a long run of fiber from router to your system, using single-mode SFP, might yield a different result.  

The length of fiber shouldn’t matter at all in my opinion. 

2 hours ago, R1200CL said:

The length of fiber shouldn’t matter at all in my opinion. 

You may be correct.  I was speaking about fiber in relation to the eR and my own setup.  Given practicalities, I've only tried the first two options:

1.  in-wall copper ethernet to rj45 input of eR.

2.  in-wall copper ethernet to rj45 input of oM to SFP in eR.

3.  in-wall fiber to SFP in eR.  

So, you are suggesting that options 2 and 3 would sound the same, considering the extra equipment (oM and LPS) and connections/connectors/conversion processes in option 2?   

I admit that I have a bias toward "simpler is better."  Might that influence what I hear?  Possibly.  The mind is a powerful thing!

Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3       Cables:  Kubala-Sosna

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

5 hours ago, PYP said:

So, you are suggesting that options 2 and 3 would sound the same,

Yes, and no. My understanding is you’re now using two EtherRegen’s, so then yes. 
The in wall fiber will of cause have a source. Switch or EtherRegen? Or place the OM upfront?

My point was only length of fiber won’t matter.