IGNORED

Optical Networking & SFPs

49 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

I think the opticalModule is a far better option. (Or even the $99 Mikrotik with SFP+). 
Stay away from orange cables. Use single mode yellow cable with blue connectors. 

Cheers... I'll definitely be upgrading the StarTech... just got to decide between the opticalModule and the new FMC from Melco.

2 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

@NoNaim

opticalModule is cheaper. You may be able to get it with free shipping. 

Actually, in the UK the ADOT is slightly cheaper... but, that wouldn't be the driving factor. It would come down to which sounds better. The ADOT, Melco FMC is still very new so it doesn't seem like too many people have it in their systems though.

@Superdad I sort of hoped you may pop by and take a look at it.

Yes, I spotted the 10Gtek case, same 5v requirement and zero mention of anything specific about clock types etc etc. 

I've emailed them asking for further details of the build and whether the stressed eye test pics on their website are actual results or just for illustration purposes. I specifically asked them if it was a rebadged version of the 10Gtek... or slightly tweaked. We'll see if they reply.

Actually, while you are on. I was also considering the etherRegen but I have a couple setup questions.

I currently have a Ubiquiti UDM Pro with their 16 PoE Switch for main household duties plus a Cisco GS110 for audio only that is powered by a Keces p3. HQPlayer is currently a headless unit with an optical FMC that connects to one of the two Cisco SFP's. The StarTech FMC takes it's ethernet from the Cisco and the Roon server ethernet also connects to it.

If I went oM, everything would stay the same other than the current FMC, the LPS-1.2 would power the oM.

If I went etherRegen, Roon would connect via ethernet and the optical out of course would go to the oR that uses your JS-2... but, what would be best for the HQPlayer. Optical to the Ubiquiti switch which connects to the eR.... or, connect it via ethernet straight to the eR?

Sort of at this crossroads but want to make this the final "Network" change... well... other than SFP modules 🥴. But from reading another thread, that seems to be a whole new rabbit hole!

15 minutes ago, NoNaim said:

Actually, while you are on. I was also considering the etherRegen but I have a couple setup questions.

There are a number of issues—relating to preserving the benefits of the EtherREGEN’s active differential isolation “moat”—both with regards Ethernet cable connections and power supply “ground” domains.  Rather than my diverting this thread, how about you contact me directly via our web site? Just be prepared that I am going to ask you for a current system diagram (hand-drawn is perfectly fine) as I am a visual person and trying to follow text of partial system descriptions never works for me or our clients.

Thanks!B|

6 minutes ago, Superdad said:

There are a number of issues—relating to preserving the benefits of the EtherREGEN’s active differential isolation “moat”—both with regards Ethernet cable connections and power supply “ground” domains.  Rather than my diverting this thread, how about you contact me directly via our web site? Just be prepared that I am going to ask you for a current system diagram (hand-drawn is perfectly fine) as I am a visual person and trying to follow text of partial system descriptions never works for me or our clients.

Thanks!B|

Cheers

Sent a reply. Couldn't attach the diagram from your website but if you reply to my email, I'll be able to send one over.. Thanks

On 7/9/2021 at 12:32 PM, Superdad said:

I guess I just don’t get it. From the photos it is easy to see that this “new” FMC is just an off-the-shelf box—with a 30-cent crystal and nothing at all in the way of high-quality voltage regulation—with a different brand label.

AFE64044-7C9A-4283-80C8-1E71BC486197.jpeg.652db98781cfd0a965b93c67c3194335.jpeg

A bit like how it turned up that the ThunderData/SilentAngel Bonn/NuPrime/English Electric switches are all nothing more than a $20 ZyXEL GS-108B v3 with an unknown OXCO and a fancier case. 9_9
https://www.aktives-hoeren.de/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=11581

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/62588-uptone-ether-regen-english-electric-8switch-comparison/?do=findComment&comment=1125616

The Sonore opticalModule Deluxe is a from the ground-up design—with a bill-of-materials cost easily 5x this ADOT unit.

But yet you are going to hear audiophiles opine about how great this sounds and if an objective person points out the obviousness of it there will be a backlash for questioning.

42 minutes ago, plissken said:

But yet you are going to hear audiophiles opine about how great this sounds and if an objective person points out the obviousness of it there will be a backlash for questioning.

Are you suggesting your feelings will be hurt because of the backlash? 😁

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

44 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Are you suggesting your feelings will be hurt because of the backlash? 😁

Facts don't care about feelings. Bottom line is you are going to see reviews of this 'Audiophile' device and 'veils lifted', 'my wife heard the difference while down the hall' etc and it's simply an OEM design and they are trying hard to scrub any identifying marks from it:

image.thumb.png.838504662ada2880a55e5dee67779389.png

image.thumb.png.ef06c433286a773b284a223dd51181cd.png

1 minute ago, plissken said:

Facts don't care about feelings. Bottom line is you are going to see reviews of this 'Audiophile' device and 'veils lifted', 'my wife heard the difference while down the hall' etc and it's simply an OEM design and they are trying hard to scrub any identifying marks from it:

image.thumb.png.838504662ada2880a55e5dee67779389.png

No disagreement from me. You just brought up receiving backlash. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I heard about this a little while back but when I seen it, I just thought it looks like no effort has been made to even distinguish it from the cheaper FMC that have been out for ages. Between that, the lack or details of what they've actually done to make it stand out, calling it Audiophile, Digital, Optical, Technology (ADOT). As if just calling it Audiophile makes it so. If they were really confident, why not have the Melco name loud and proud on it?!?

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

11 hours ago, tategoi said:

You can get one for less than £4 from China before shipping 😏

https://m.tb.cn/h.4xpTySQ?sm=a7aa28

He he but handling the shipping through China, to the export port, onto the ship and to America can be, shall we say challenging. I've ordered products, tracked them to have them disappear just before being packed into a container at the port ... and there is no one to call. The business that Amazon is in is entirely logistics and I appreciate what it takes to get many products to me within 24 hours -- its really impressive as much as everyone complains.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

I am fortunate that shipping to Singapore from China had mostly been without any issues. Goods generally will arrive in 1 to 2 weeks via air freight. 

I opened up the media converter and the board inside looks similar to those un-modded ones. 

917FFA00-35DD-4B67-B509-81D9660DD852.jpeg

C9F4DE3B-9F64-4F7C-8801-0852D5E4A64B.jpeg

8 hours ago, tategoi said:

I am fortunate that shipping to Singapore from China had mostly been without any issues. Goods generally will arrive in 1 to 2 weeks via air freight. 

I opened up the media converter and the board inside looks similar to those un-modded ones. 

917FFA00-35DD-4B67-B509-81D9660DD852.jpeg

C9F4DE3B-9F64-4F7C-8801-0852D5E4A64B.jpeg

But the unicorn fairy dust they sprinkle is invisible. So it doesn't matter that looks like an exact copy down to the hole through in the PCB for the DIP switch.

8 hours ago, tategoi said:

It's very similar to the ADOT but not the StarTech FMC pic I posted above which has a lot more parts, bigger board, different layout and is 12v rather than 5v. I have one of each and they sound different as well. The StarTech is half the price of the ADOT though.

They came back to me about the ADOT one and said it was, "The MC01 itself is a modification of existing product from a high-end IT manufacturer. It does not use a special clock, just a good one. The inherent errors on networks are so bad that any advantage of a super clock is quickly lost." 🤔😏

1 hour ago, NoNaim said:

hey came back to me about the ADOT one and said it was, "The MC01 itself is a modification of existing product from a high-end IT manufacturer. It does not use a special clock, just a good one. The inherent errors on networks are so bad that any advantage of a super clock is quickly lost." 🤔😏

LOL.... The modification is the price. Dear lord. I can't wait for all the gushing reviews by morons.

16 minutes ago, plissken said:

LOL.... The modification is the price. Dear lord. I can't wait for all the gushing reviews by morons.

This on I totally agree upon. 

It’s also funny to see these people trying SFP+ interconnects cheap cables with everything (cable and SFP+ modules) at a cheap price and think they’ve got fiber isolation. And still claiming good SQ. 

People get screwed all the to time, and when some of us trying to give a friendly advice, they just don’t get it. Calling them morons is polite.