IGNORED

Linear power supply runs hot AF!

5 hours ago, sdmarquart said:

Hi. I’m loving my optical Rendu. I bought this LPS from Small Green Computer to power it. 

https://www.smallgreencomputer.com/collections/linear-power-supplies/products/sgc-7v-linear-power-supply-50w-opticalrendu?variant=29452410519586

Man, I don’t know much about LPS except it does sound much better using it. Lower sound floor and everything. Just makes the Rendu sound superb compared to another power supply I was using. 

My only concern is this LPS I bought is super hot! I can barely touch it. The Rendu runs warm which is fine, but should the LPS be frying my hand when I touch it!?

i know these things run hot so hopefully this is normal. It does get plenty ventilation.

Any info and calming words is appreciated!

Thanks,

Spence

What is the rated current for the Optical Rendu ?

A PSU with a 50VA transformer using a typical Bridge rectifier and Capacitor Input gives only 62% of it's rated current.

This means that it's DC current out will be around 31W, and means that at 7V output it's maximum current will be about 4.4Amps continuous.

A Linear PSU should never run as hot as you are finding for long term reliability.:o

Ideally ,  you need a higher rated PSU, or you will need to find a way to reduce it's heat,  perhaps by bolting an additional heatsink to it's metal case .

Specifications

• Input voltage: 110V AC (220v available on request)
  • Output voltage: 7VDC
  • Toroidal transformer: 50VA
  • Size: 100*50*200mm (W*H*D)
  • Voltage display LED color: Blue

It would have been much more helpful for the manufacturer to have stated it's maximum output current at 7V Output.

IDC=0.62 x Sec. I A.C.

Design Guide  for Rectifier Use .jpg

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020