IGNORED

Linear power supply runs hot AF!

Hi. I’m loving my optical Rendu. I bought this LPS from Small Green Computer to power it. 

https://www.smallgreencomputer.com/collections/linear-power-supplies/products/sgc-7v-linear-power-supply-50w-opticalrendu?variant=29452410519586

Man, I don’t know much about LPS except it does sound much better using it. Lower sound floor and everything. Just makes the Rendu sound superb compared to another power supply I was using. 

My only concern is this LPS I bought is super hot! I can barely touch it. The Rendu runs warm which is fine, but should the LPS be frying my hand when I touch it!?

i know these things run hot so hopefully this is normal. It does get plenty ventilation.

Any info and calming words is appreciated!

Thanks,

Spence

I guess I need a better education of LPS in layman’s terms. I google and it says it converts AC to DC and how they run warm and need heat sinks. Also very inefficient but are used for audio products as they are very low noise.

That’s great but what does it mean. Why is the damn thing so hot? And it’s sold in tandem with the optical Rendu but nowhere in the literature does it state you can fry an egg on the LPS. Plus, it’s not cheap. The only response I’ve got is “it’s normal”. 

I need more. I’m too OCD to be okay with this thing nearly showing red it’s so hot. 

I’ve also done enough research to find LPS do make a “sound” difference. I know that’s an audiophile thing but I just want good sound. And a good explanation on what it does. I tried to explain this power supply to a friend yesterday and he looked at me like, “what?” I’d like to be able to explain a little better. It seems with the heavy cost it would be laid out in clear writing what the LPS is made of and what exactly it does and why it gets so hot. 

• 2 months later...