IGNORED

Dutch & Dutch 8c: boundary coupling, bass peaks/dips, and comparing to Kii

The Kii definitely gives you more possibilities for room placement, as it isn't designed to use coupling to the front wall to sound it's best. 

Many users of both speakers set them up to their optimal point, and then also use a DRC program of  some type to perfect the sound for the room and positioning. Recommended. In my case that eliminated a room node at 38hz and basically gives me flat response in room from 20hz-20000 hz. With the 8c you can use REW and integrate the correction into  the speaker. 

I  personally don't think the Kiis are lacking in "warmth", or "smoothness" (I'm not sure what that is) but I use EQ to adjust the Kii's for my personal taste and hearing issues. Either speaker will allow you to perform digital EQ internally to the speaker or via Roon or some other program. One of the advantages of such a speaker. The Kii's are a lot more useful/easy to deal with if you buy them with the Kii Control. 

I'd tend to agree with the idea that by using DSP egualization, you can adjust the sound of either speaker and make it sound how you'd like.

Do you have no possibility of trying a different Kii dealer? Maybe one who will give you a home audition?  Have you thought of contacting the importer/distributor where you live and discussing it? Will your 8c dealer also not allow an in home audition?  Many dealers of both speakers will set the speakers up in your home and also do DRC so you can hear exactly how well they can perform in your listening area. 

If you aren't happy with the Kii dealer and you think you prefer the sound of the 8C, I'd tend to go with that. Note that in the JA measurements he didn't find any lack of bass, so I don't think the "free" positioning is a  major issue with the 8c.  He also pretty much eliminated peaks with the use of REW. You might want to contact D&D directly and ask them about placement when not coupled to front wall. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

8 hours ago, fas42 said:

I would go for the 8c's ... the Kii's appear to have some of the engineering of the electronics not as well refined as the 8c - which you may find hard to 'solve' - bass issues are going to be easier to tame. Personally, for long term enjoyment I see it as a no contest situation ...

fas-42

total nonsense. 

You are writing from a position of ignorance and making baseless conclusions. Please tell us about your expert knowledge of the electronics of the Kiis. Have you even heard either speaker? 

It's such a "no contest" that there are plenty of people who prefer the Kii's to the 8c's. Some people think the 8c's have more warmth and more powerful bass. Others think the Kiis have a better high end and superior clarity, without lacking bass. That's a matter of taste-and what type of sound an individual prefers.  Both are excellent speakers with hundreds or thousands of happy owners. You probably can't go wrong with either. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)