IGNORED

Lumin U1 Network Error

8 hours ago, Runbob said:

i connect to the internet with a ZyXel PLA6456 power-line Ethernet adapter.  It has worked perfectly until today.

I restarted the router, switched ports and restarted the Lumin with no success.  Any suggestions?

Is the Lumin connected to the network switch?

Power off everything including the network router, switches, powerline adapter, Lumin and iPad.  Please use a different network cable to connect to a different port of the switch (or to the router).  Power on everything.

Observe whether the network LEDs on the Lumin unit and the network switch port flash normally.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

4 hours ago, One and a half said:

Network error pops up briefly during Lumin start up and becomes the complete circle on the display for ready operation.

A momentary Network Error on power cycle means the time required for getting an IP address from DHCP server exceeds a predefined time limit.  This is harmless.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Nowadays we test every Lumin unit we ship with a Cisco switch.

A Network Error at Lumin boot time can mean one of the two things: an Ethernet link is not established (usually the network port hardware LED does not flash), or timeout from getting an IP address from DHCP server.

After Lumin is successfully booted up (i.e. already got an IP address from DHCP), a Network Error merely means a physical link down.  Unplugging the network cable will also cause this.

After successfully booting up, Lumin requires multicast traffic to be supported in the network.  The UPnP (MinimServer) server, Roon Core, iPad, etc. must reside in the same subnet.  Managed switches and corporate grade routers tend to cause problems with multicast in their default configurations, in a few cases it is unsolvable until an umanaged switch is inserted.  Some WiFi routers also separate each WiFi device from the network in the name of AP Isolation, or block multicast, these all can cause problems.  Some routers also misbehave after handling a few months of multicast traffic and need to be rebooted periodically.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Yes, Roon cares about network timing, deeply.  With the EtherRegen, since your 'A' side operates at 1000Mbps but the 'B' side at 100Mbps, I don't know how this affects Roon network timing.

A tip I can offer for Roon network diagnosis: I suggest to reboot the Roon Core and all Roon endpoints on every network change.  If that does not work, reboot everything starting from the router / WiFi access points / switches / powerline adapters.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

• 5 months later...
On 12/2/2020 at 6:28 PM, JMellin said:

I have had to connect my old Cisco switch to B side 100mbit and LUMIN to Cisco switch at 1000mbit.

This sound better than everything at A side but very suboptimal 😉

This is NOT suboptimal, you are getting the full benefits of it.  The EtherREGEN is symmetric.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

7 hours ago, JMellin said:

Then I tried replacing the borrowed $800 RJ45 for an all plastic one 1/100 of the price and everything came together, details, scene but most important very engaging presentation.

English is not my first language, so I need clarification on this.  Are you saying the $800 device sounds better, or the 1/100 price device sounds the same to you as the $800 device?

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Now I get it.  So you're saying the unshielded $8 generic cable works better than the shielded $800 cable.

Yes, shield is indeed a problem.  This is not the first time I read somebody whose network problem is solved by replacing a shielded network cable with an unshielded one.

Please use unshielded CAT-6 network cable.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

I'm confused.  In your original post you said got it working with the Lumin at the A side, and the Cisco switch at the B side, i.e.

Lumin - (UTP) - EtherREGEN A side - EtherREGEN B side - (UTP) - Cisco switch

Does this configuration work or not (everything need to be power cycled after you made any network changes)?

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead