IGNORED

Article: Review | Running a Large Roon Library on a QNAP TVS-872XT

QNAP now supports ZFS on newer devices.

The backplane of my TVS-873 started giving problems after 4 years of continuous use and it would cost $600 to repair, so I opted to replace with the new TS-873a. This supports ZFS. Got a couple of the original (fast) Samsung EVO 970 512 GB M2 NVMe SSDs for $150 on sale on Amazon and put 64GB of ECC server memory in it.

The TS-873a also has extended warranty to 5 years for $200, which one can add up to 9 months after purchase. 

I have everything restored on ZFS with triple disk redundancy.

ZFS gives faster and more efficient snapshots and array rebuild times in minutes instead of hours.

The TS-873A also has USB 3.2 gen 2 ports, so hooking up a drive to an external docking station that supports this faster protocol gives an easy way to back up and remove the disc and hide somewhere.

2 minutes ago, EvilTed said:

QNAP now supports ZFS on newer devices.

The backplane of my TVS-873 started giving problems after 4 years of continuous use and it would cost $600 to repair, so I opted to replace with the new TS-873a. This supports ZFS. Got a couple of the original (fast) Samsung EVO 970 512 GB M2 NVMe SSDs for $150 on sale on Amazon and put 64GB of ECC server memory in it.

The TS-873a also has extended warranty to 5 years for $200, which one can add up to 9 months after purchase. 

I have everything restored on ZFS with triple disk redundancy.

ZFS gives faster and more efficient snapshots and array rebuild times in minutes instead of hours.

The TS-873A also has USB 3.2 gen 2 ports, so hooking up a drive to an external docking station that supports this faster protocol gives an easy way to back up and remove the disc and hide somewhere.

I just converted my TVS-872XT to QuTS Hero with ZFS. So far so good. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

21 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Article coming on that endeavor?   Maybe a limited audience but I, for one, am interested.  I usually just delete the QNAP emails...sigh...I need to pay more attention.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

I just checked this compatibility list: https://view.publitas.com/qnap-1/quts-hero-h5-0-beta-supported-nas/page/1

Mine is not eligible.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

• 1 year later...
22 minutes ago, JohnDonaldson said:

@The Computer AudiophileAre you still running your Roon Core on the TVS-872XT or have you found a better solution?

Hi John, no. 

Given the size of my library, it just stopped making sense to run Roon directly on the QNAP. The convenience was nice, but it was time to use the right tool for the job. I'm back to using a Roon Rock, but am also reevaluating that becuase my Rock is from 2017 when I wrote this article https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/ca-academy/the-definitive-guide-to-roon-optimized-core-kit-rock-r652/

I helped a friend transition from Roon on the QNAP to a new Rock with 8TB internal SSD. It's a very solid solution if one's library will fit on the internal drive. 

My use of Roon has really curtailed lately, so a better solution isn't an immediate need. I used it once in the last month. That said, I'm always trying different things because I want to know and understand them, and will likely use Roon more in the future as it adds features. 

Screenshot 2023-01-26 at 10.25.04 AM.png

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

On 9/19/2021 at 9:59 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

Can I assume that there is no seamless migration of the data from one OS to the other but that one has to actually reload it from a back-up?

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

11 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I believe that's what I did. But, I really don't remember.

I am glad that you do not remember because the process seems daunting:

Due to the differences in file systems between QTS and QuTS hero, it is not possible to migrate directly from a QTS-based NAS to a QuTS hero-based NAS, the NAS need to be reinitialized to switch to QuTS Hero. 

Importent: Before changing to QuTS Hero, you will need to back up all the data on a different storage media, because the reinitialization process will format the drives.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

1 minute ago, Kal Rubinson said:

I am glad that you do not remember because the process seems daunting:

Thanks Kal, you've jogged my memory :~(

I vaguely remember copying all my data to another device, and reinitializing the QNAP, the copying it back. Not hard to do, just took a long time :~)