IGNORED

Article: Review | Running a Large Roon Library on a QNAP TVS-872XT

Hi Chris,

It uncanny how much your system resembles mine! I've been using the same QNAP for 8 months now. It's a powerhouse and I also use it for Roon. As you, I have a fiber connection. I'm using an Ubiquity XG-16 and several XP-10's to get complete isolation. My library is half the size of yours and I also get the occasional slow-downs. I don't reboot the QNAP, but every 2 or 3 weeks I restart the Roon app.

My 872 is connected on 3 separate VLAN's, one specifically for music, the other for IOT and security camera's and the third one for all the rest.

It's the perfect solution for me, not the least because of solid backup and the use of RAID-0 and RAID-5. The Roon db is on RAID-0 and the music on RAID-5.

Switching from a powerful NUC to the 872 didn't degrade the sound quality. I no longer have any powerful computers  (that use switch mode power supplies) nearby my HiFi equipment and that's a good thing.

One last thing I've upgraded the memory to 32GB on the 872.

I to be complete save I occasionally backup everything on a TR-004

2 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Wow. Very similar. 

I love my UniFi stuff. USG Pro > fiber > XG 16 > fiber > Sonore opticalRendu. 

I turned the USG Pro WAN2 port into LAN so I can run fiber to everything internal. Not sure why they only have SFP ports for the WAN on that router. 

I only use Unify stuff for the WiFi AP’s, the rest are Edgeswitches and router. The Unify controller is running on the 872

• 2 weeks later...