IGNORED

Article: Review | Running a Large Roon Library on a QNAP TVS-872XT

I'm a little surprised at the results you're getting on a machine that I THINK is less capable than mine. I run Roon on a 2014 Mac Mini, 3GHz i7, 16 gig RAM and a 500 gig SSD. I have hundreds of DSD64 files ripped from SACDs and when using Convolution filters made for me by Home Audio Fidelity along with a Low Pass Parametric Filter my setup is just on the edge of not working. When I hit play on a DSD64 file it takes a second or two for the music to start playing. Watching the monitor in Roon it's almost like the music is spooling up. It starts out at about 0.5X and ends up with the music playing at about 1.2X. If I let the music play it's fine for the rest of the album but if I skip a song Roon spools up the music again before continuing on. I just tried playing a DSD64 file and under Convolution Roon says it's using 4 paths and 2984k taps which I believe is far fewer than you said you were using. Everything else about Roon works as expected and I'm very happy with it. Turning off Convolution immediately solves the problem but I much prefer the sound with it on. This too is a First World problem but I wouldn't mind knowing what spec I need to upgrade on my computer to get rid of the delay.

44 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Interesting. Is that convolution filters tap number correct 2984k (2,984,000)? I’m using 66,000 taps. 

Wow, I missed that. I read it as 2,984 compared to your 66,000 but you’re right, I typed it as Roon has it so I suppose it is 2,984,000. I was going to ask on the Roon forums what I need to do to get over the hump with my settings but your article brought it up before I got that far.