IGNORED

Article: Review | Running a Large Roon Library on a QNAP TVS-872XT

17 hours ago, Kal Rubinson said:

Indeed.  The same tasks that strain the CPU under Roon generally run easily under JRMC.

I don't use JRMC but I have bench-marked Roon Vs. MinimServer on a Syology 1513+ NAS. In every aspect, like CPU, Memory, I/O, etc.. Roon failed miserably.

9 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Isn't that like benchmarking apples and crackers? They do extremely different things.

The comparison was (among other things):

1. Initial scan time of the library

2. Memory consumption at the end of the scan

3. CPU utilization during incremental scans

4. CPU utilization during playing a track

5. Service readiness since start up

6. Memory consumption over time

The above are identical to many applications that index music libraries.  

1 minute ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Roon is incredibly different when it does those things. It also doesn't need incremental scans. Music is automatically seen without a scan. The initial scan does so much more than just scan. 

These are two extremely dissimilar apps. 

It does not matter. Roon can mine bitcoins in the background as far as I am concerned. The fact is that Roon is extremely memory / CPU intensive application.

7 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

That's quite irrational.

Roon must do mush more intensive operations to offer people all the features it offers. Add those to MinimServer and you'd have the same thing. 

Let's look at this from a different perspective and a bit more rational, if you may. The fact that you reboot your NAS daily speak volumes about the efficiency of the software. If you really want to geek out into this, run a performance monitor tool to see what's going on in the background. (Hint... it's not pretty). Lavish GUI aside, you need to look into a software's ability to scale and scale well and Roon's ability at this is lacking. 

4 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi @Ran I thought I knew what system you used for storage and streaming, but I can't remember. I believe you're a big fan of DLNA etc... correct? What are you using for software and hardware? I'm interested and others may find it helpful. I know you have a ton of knowledge in this area. 

I currently use Synology 1513+ with MinimServer / MinimStreamer installed serving 11355 albums in FLAC. I use RaspberryPi with MPD / UpMPDcli as the OpenHome streamer which is connected to a Hegel H590 via coax. BubbleUPnP is used on my phone (Pixel2) and Tablet (Amazon Fire). Qobuz is my streaming service of choice. ELAC FS 409 are the speakers.