IGNORED

Article: Review | Running a Large Roon Library on a QNAP TVS-872XT

On 6/12/2020 at 2:38 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

It’s a solution I can control. It’s either reboot or don’t use Roon. 

I do. The above DSP was only a test. 

I'm wondering; have you tried repointing Roon to a different Roon core then bringing it back to the QNAP? That doesn't lose your scanned library but should

reset session data.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

4 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I haven’t done that. 

Please educate me on what happens when that is done. 

I do that when trying to compare my PC vs NUC as Roon core . Roon allows you 1 licensed/active core per account as default, you can pay for more.

Under settings,general you can see your current selected/active core. If you chose disconnect, it will show you available roon cores to pick from. I just changed from NUC to

PC back to NUC all in the space of 15 seconds from my PC core/client with no library scan impact. I doubt that its a session variable but all it takes is 2 available core instances to test

The problem you describe does remind me of issues I had with the Aries mini where the Lightning database would corrupt over time and I would have to periodically delete it. Running

the library maintenance option for Roon is a lot more friendly.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

14 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I know that I can switch cores, but what does that get me?

Neither of us designed/coded Roon so we don't know how it's maintaining/cleaning up session data and session resources. Changing cores is the closest you

can come to a session "logout" to try to force a session cleanup. From your earlier comments reboot of the QNAP clears the problem, shutting down Roon did not,

this is just probing to see if you can find a faster way to clear the problem... won't make it go away but might allow you to clear the problem in seconds, not minutes.

The only gotcha I've found in changing cores is that the Roon authentication server needs to be accessible... don't do this at 2AM when they are doing maintenance.

A recent Roon backup should protect you if you have the bad luck  that the authentication servers down

Regards,

Dave

Audio system