IGNORED

Sounds Great - inexpensive, no fancy computer or power supplies

On 6/11/2020 at 6:25 PM, beerandmusic said:

If you think you have a decent sounding solution for under $3K excluding speakers and amp, please share it.

Auralic Altair G1 

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

9 hours ago, beerandmusic said:

I looked at the original altair, but they only supported apple...is that still the case?

I don't have a definitive answer, I'm still investigating. The new Altair is on my list due to SQ, but the question of how to control it is a sticking point, especially since I am an Android phone user and will never change. From the Auralic site:

Music can be sourced from virtually any source - locally stored files on your network, Internet radio, Airplay™, Bluetooth, USB drive, an optional integrated hard drive or a playlist of favorites from a subscription-based streaming service such as Qobuz or TIDAL. Control is via either the proprietary Lightning DS app, or the manual intuitive control on the front panel with all functions clearly shown on the high-resolution 4" colour display.

I am not clear on whether I can use UPnP/Android or DLNA/Windows from my NAS, as I usually do. Also, no remote wand? Maybe the reviewer can help clarify, @The Computer Audiophile?

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC.