IGNORED

Sounds Great - inexpensive, no fancy computer or power supplies

25 minutes ago, fas42 said:

You get everything but the source device for peanuts, and it turns out that a basic DVD player does a good enough job, so far, at driving it. How good is it? It impressed me from the very first moment I fired it up, and it only keeps getting better

Frank

You are deluding yourself if you believe that a basic DVD player does more than a basic job. They all use  an SMPS and their S/N is usually well below what can be achieved for audio with a higher quality player. Some years ago Silicon Chip magazine did a group test of several basic players where the measurements confirmed this, and worse still, if they were connected to a Power Amplifier which was earthed , quite often there was a low level background hum. 

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

30 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

My guess is that players i have used have all had used cheap smps power supplies as well, but they all beat external dacs i have connected to my noisy pc.  They actually have always sounded excellent, my last one being a marantz nd8006 and I have had some of their SACD players as well.

Sheesh !

That's far removed from what Frank is talking about. They weigh 17.6lbs and sell for US$1299 and almost double that in Au. :o

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020