Jump to content
Mike Rubin

Does LPS make sense with an ethernet-connected NUC?

Recommended Posts

I decided to offload music functions from my Dell XPS 8930 desktop unit to a dedicated server because the Dell was running crazy hot when upsampling all files to DSD256 in Roon and Audirvana.  I settled on a NUC 10 i7 kit, which arrives Saturday, and will install a 500gb m.2 nvme ssd and 16gb RAM when it does.  All connections will be over ethernet, so no connections over the USB ports.  I plan to run Windows as I have had Linux boxes and am pretty helpless when I need to do any troubleshooting with them.  

 

As far as I can tell, the current generation of NUC requires 19v, 4a, and 200w. I understand that owners of previous gen NUC’s often run them with linear power supplies.  My instinct normally would be to buy an LPS for the unit because I have them on everything else I own that includes a DC power supply and usually find them to improve sound.  Unfortunately, with this power spec, the few LPS units I have found online cost more than I would prefer to spend.  (An HDPlex starts at about $600 when they are in stock, albeit with multiple rails;  a Keces runs more; and a Teddy Pardo runs a bit less, but I think it might not have enough amperage.) 
 

So, given that I am going to have to stretch a bit for something like an HDPlex if I want an LPS for this application, I have questions.  I have read that an LPS makes no difference in SQ for servers using only ethernet, but, then again, I have read a lot of posts saying an LPS makes no difference, ever.  My own experience suggests they can make an impressive difference.  So, have any of you run a NUC, any generation, connected over ethernet, with an LPS and, if so, was the LPs a worthwhile investment?  Also, can any of you recommend a bargain 19v LPS that can power a NUC 10?


Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7> Roon/Audirvana/JRiver Media Server > ASUS AC-87R Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > EtherRegen > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Tier 2 > Wyred4Sound 10th Anniversary DAC > Wyred4Sound STI-500 > Revel F32 Concertas

 

Basement:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7>Roon/Audirvana/JRiver Media Server > ASUS AC-87R Router > Netgear GS348 Switch >TrendNet FMC>Sonore OpticalModule> UltraRendu > NuPrime IDA-8 > KEF LS50's

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Mike Rubin said:

As far as I can tell, the current generation of NUC requires 19v, 4a, and 200w.

That figure seems a bit off.  19V and 4A is 76W, not sure how the 200W figure got in there.

 

Based on the review I read about NUC 10 (NUC 10i7FNHAA), Intel’s Frost Canyon NUC is quite good at power consumption.  It consumes less than 10W (9.8W) at idle, in Cinebench, power draw hit a maximum of 98 watts, then sustained itself at 57 watts after thermal throttling limited the processor, so pending how much you plan to push it, the power supply choice might not be too limited.

 

As a reference, I ran a server using Intel i9-9900KS CPU, and the CPU consume around 85W when using HQPlayer upsample from Redbook to DSD256 with their most demanding 7ES modulator.

 

 

 

17 hours ago, Mike Rubin said:

Also, can any of you recommend a bargain 19v LPS that can power a NUC 10?

I have used Keces P8 in the past with good result, so that will be the one I recommend in the lower cost category.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, elan120 said:

That figure seems a bit off.  19V and 4A is 76W, not sure how the 200W figure got in there.

 

Based on the review I read about NUC 10 (NUC 10i7FNHAA), Intel’s Frost Canyon NUC is quite good at power consumption.  It consumes less than 10W (9.8W) at idle, in Cinebench, power draw hit a maximum of 98 watts, then sustained itself at 57 watts after thermal throttling limited the processor, so pending how much you plan to push it, the power supply choice might not be too limited.

 

As a reference, I ran a server using Intel i9-9900KS CPU, and the CPU consume around 85W when using HQPlayer upsample from Redbook to DSD256 with their most demanding 7ES modulator.

 

 

 

I have used Keces P8 in the past with good result, so that will be the one I recommend in the lower cost category.

Thanks. This is useful information.  I may indeed have a bit more flexibility than I thought. I was running at 65c-85c with my Dell when upsampling to DSD256 for more than just a song or two until I throttled the CPU at 99%, so I assume that I am going to put quite a load on the NUC, with its laptop processor and lesser ventilation.  I therefore don't want to cut corners too much.

 

Any thought about whether it even makes my difference to use anything other than the stock SMPS when I am running only over a network? 


Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7> Roon/Audirvana/JRiver Media Server > ASUS AC-87R Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > EtherRegen > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Tier 2 > Wyred4Sound 10th Anniversary DAC > Wyred4Sound STI-500 > Revel F32 Concertas

 

Basement:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7>Roon/Audirvana/JRiver Media Server > ASUS AC-87R Router > Netgear GS348 Switch >TrendNet FMC>Sonore OpticalModule> UltraRendu > NuPrime IDA-8 > KEF LS50's

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...