IGNORED

Looking for a streamer or streamer dac that could stream YouTube.

MrX

Question

Dear friends:

Greetings!

I’m looking for a streamer or dac streamer that could stream not only Qobuz and Tidal, but also YouTube video and movies I played through my computer. Sonically, I prefer full bodied vocal with no fatiguing highs. My budget is around 1k, I will really really appreciate it if you could kindly give me some recommendations.

Sincerely!

Ran

6 answers to this question

On 6/10/2020 at 8:26 AM, MrX said:
Dear friends:
Greetings!
I’m looking for a streamer or dac streamer that could stream not only Qobuz and Tidal, but also YouTube video and movies I played through my computer. Sonically, I prefer full bodied vocal with no fatiguing highs. My budget is around 1k, I will really really appreciate it if you could kindly give me some recommendations.
Sincerely!
Ran

i think this will do it

Sony - UBP-X1100ES plus it will play blurays and support 4k, sacd, dsd via dlna and more.

On 6/10/2020 at 11:26 AM, MrX said:
Dear friends:

Greetings!

Sincerely!

Ran

Do you have a DAC already?

There are much fewer DAC+streamer's purpose built for audio on the market, the good ones are over $1K. The streamer itself will affect music resolution quality; can you clearly hear an instrument playing if its one instrument playing a counterpoint more softly than the main melody.

Your sonic preferences are more likely to be affected by the DAC manufacturers design. Given the modest audio quality of Youtube and streaming movies I just run a 20' toslink cable from the 4k TV to my DAC.

Lots of solutions out there for separate DAC and streamer 

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

On 6/14/2020 at 10:46 AM, davide256 said:

Do you have a DAC already?

There are much fewer DAC+streamer's purpose built for audio on the market, the good ones are over $1K. The streamer itself will affect music resolution quality; can you clearly hear an instrument playing if its one instrument playing a counterpoint more softly than the main melody.

Your sonic preferences are more likely to be affected by the DAC manufacturers design. Given the modest audio quality of Youtube and streaming movies I just run a 20' toslink cable from the 4k TV to my DAC.

Lots of solutions out there for separate DAC and streamer 

Could you kindly recommend some streamers? Yes I have dacs and amps:)

Assuming you have an IOS or Windows based server, I'd suggest a Roon subscription with an ultraRendu as least "fiddly" streaming endpoint solution in your price range. Roon integrates both Tidal and Qobuz for streaming to a rendu/Roonbridge. The rendu family is well designed to deal with less

than perfect power supplies; you can opt for an LPS if you want to but unlike  RPI, Allo and other DIY solutions you don't really need a more expensive

power supply for clean USB output to DAC. If you have a DAC that supports DSD rates Roon will allow DSD upsampling

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

22 hours ago, davide256 said:

Assuming you have an IOS or Windows based server, I'd suggest a Roon subscription with an ultraRendu as least "fiddly" streaming endpoint solution in your price range.

The OP wants to stream "YouTube video and movies I played through my computer". An ultraRendu does not stream video.

I stream YouTube to my Vizio TV. The TV is connected to my audio system DAC via optical cable. 

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

21 minutes ago, audiobomber said:

The OP wants to stream "YouTube video and movies I played through my computer". An ultraRendu does not stream video.

I stream YouTube to my Vizio TV. The TV is connected to my audio system DAC via optical cable. 

Yup. Streaming video is  different requirement than streaming audio. Better to use built in capability of the TV, all my video streaming services

are built into the internet enabled LG TV and I can web browse on it for those that aren't.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system