IGNORED

Article: Review & Measurements | ZMF Verite & Verite Closed

Hi @Tone Deaf, here's the link I was thinking of, in case it's not easily findable in my review.

There are a few others' measurements with different pads earlier in the thread, which show slightly larger differences of around 5dB in the sub bass. That strikes me as about the high end of real-world difference between pads, and I suspect even some of that is due to how different materials will or won't provide a good seal on measurement equipment.

I saw some pad comparisons on another site that showed 10+ dB differences between Verite pads extending from the sub bass all the way into the mids, and to me that's clearly a measurement artifact, rather than how it will really sound.

The Verite are great because they sound great with the stock pads, and if you find little things about them you'd like to improve, you can tweak the sound to your liking with different pads (including the alternative set you get with every pair!). But they're not suddenly going to turn into awful sounding headphones if you pick the wrong pads. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2020 at 8:01 PM, maelob said:

I just pulled the trigger on the Verite open to compliment my Sony Z1R and Aeon2C. can't wait 

On 6/28/2020 at 8:38 AM, saidentary said:

Josh,

Your review is absolutely magnificent, and one of the very best I've read--ever.  Just brilliant.  I followed your links and found each of them relevant and helpful in contextualizing your comments.  I'm just about to pull the trigger on ordering a closed back Verite from ZMF, something I normally wouldn't do without first carefully listening in person.  But after reading your review and so much other praise online, I'll probably do just that.  Thanks for all the time and effort you put into this.

My own closed pair just arrived today, and I have an open on order. These are going to be a regular headphone for my TBVO columns. I'm actually listening to the closed as I write this, and I just heard a little vocal part on (what else?) Van Morrison's "Flamingos Fly" from Philosopher's Stone. Y'all know how much I've listened to that album! So to hear little parts and inflections I hadn't noticed by this point is something special. 

• 10 months later...
3 hours ago, NewDevilman said:

Great review!! Now please add Focal Stellia, Hifiman R10P and Kennerton Rognir in comparison! 

I didn't do a full review on the Stellia, but it didn't impress me. The R10P and Rognir both came out after this review was published. Based on measurements and images, I wouldn't expect the R10P to compete with the Verite closed, in terms of sound or construction. I'm intrigued by the Rognir, but I haven't read much about it