IGNORED

HIGH RESOLUTION HI-RES AND MASTER RECORDINGS

7 hours ago, Currawong said:

I imagine it varies to a degree, but I've found that some high-res recordings, such as the 2L ones, are mostly ADC noise above 48 kHz. I.e.: If you buy above a 24/48 kHz file from them, you're paying for a lot of electrical noise.   I haven't tested this with other providers of high-res music, though a quick look at a recent Chesky recording shows notes from instruments extending right up to 90 kHz.  There seems to be a number of questions about the production of high-res music that need answering. 

For me, personally, while I used to have a preference for high-res recordings, in more recent times, I've found DAC models that are sufficiently good with CD-quality material that I don't worry about it any longer.  

I essentially agree, but don't have all lof the info -- so I admit that I don't know about all recordings.

However, one warning about it APPEARING that the instruments reach much above 20kHz -- it is possible for signal processing to make it look like the signals extend further up.

I am not claiming the processing excuse for natrually made recordings, where they would indeed be true & accurate.  I can take DolbyA material which never had significant signal above 20kHz, and make it seem like the signal extends further up, even without the intent to defraud.  Also, compressors and other kinds of signal processing can also create distortion splats, that are not normally audible, but are visible on a spectogram.

So, with signal processing, we can have the noise modulation from noise reduction (looks like signal), distortion splats, even without intent to defraud.  I would not dare to make a claim about mistaken excess spectrum on well made materials though.  This is just a beware.

John