IGNORED

Article: Music and Sonic Favorites: Jazz Piano

2 minutes ago, audiobomber said:

No mention of McCoy Tyner or Herbie Hancock? I don't understand.

Tyner's work with the John Coltrane Quartet and Hancock's with the Miles Davis Quintet (1964-68) is enough to land them on any list of greatest pianists, IMO. Their solo recordings are icing on the cake. e.g. 

McCoy Tyner - The Real McCoy, Reaching Fourth, Tyner Plays Ellington 

Herbie Hancock - Maiden Voyage, Empyrean Isles, The New Standards

I believe this is a list of favorites, not necessarily greats.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Just now, joelha said:

JoeWhip,

I often feel like an ingrate reading a really nice article like yours and then saying "But you should have included . . ."

So with sincere appreciation for your work (and I think I speak on Chris' behalf as well when I say) . . . what, no Tsuyoshi Yamamoto? 🙂

Joel

Joel, I agree.

Joe is no longer welcome around these parts :~)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

• 2 months later...
11 minutes ago, jazzman22 said:

Sorry but any list claiming to be the greatest jazz pianists that has Oscar Peterson at the top and fails to include Keith Jarrett, Herbie Hancock and Chick Corea is definitely flawed despite including some great pianists.

Then it’s good that this list didn’t make that claim (greatest jazz pianists). It’s called favorites for a reason.