IGNORED

Article: Music and Sonic Favorites: Jazz Piano

4 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I believe this is a list of favorites, not necessarily greats.

OK, I get it. Judging from the last article and this one, I think I like jazz with a little harder edge than @JoeWhip.

I'm sure there are some recs I will love here, so I will have a listen. Aren't internet streaming services wonderful? 

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

4 minutes ago, JoeWhip said:

his vocalizing, shall I say, can be a bit distracting.

First rank pianist for sure but I'm with you on the vocalizing. I can't stand it when the engineer deliberately mikes Jarret's off-key grunting and moaning. I've noticed other pianists with the same affliction (e.g. Oscar Peterson, McCoy Tyner), but Keith Jarrett is in a class by himself.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

• 2 months later...

This is all so subjective. I know Art Tatum is considered a jazz piano great, sometimes even the greatest, but I do not care for his style. The melody gets lost in all the flourishes and trills; too much virtuosity, not enough musicality.

I do like Oscar Peterson and Bud Powell a lot. They manage to add character and style without going overboard, IMHO.