IGNORED

Article: Music and Sonic Favorites: Jazz Piano

A lot of nice recordings ...

When I think about my favourite jazz piano CD, I can't say for sure, but I'm pretty sure which one I played the most in the last 30 years, namely "Fred Hunt Trio - Yesterdays" !

Cover of the re-release (Bell Records), available on Tidal:

84982983_FredHunt-BellCD.jpeg.a5a5d13d0832617db325798e76bc0a48.jpeg

I bought this CD in the year 1986, originally released by Jeton (wow, long time ago).

Tip: first song "All Our Yesterdays" - medley of three "Yesterday" songs ...

Some CD pictures:

IMG_1943_DxO.thumb.jpg.bd3e0d460dc6bcff2922c8d0c99d59b4.jpg

IMG_1945_DxO.thumb.jpg.e38a96c6c7f5adb995d3b5857c1a0858.jpg

Here is a "Deepl"-Translation of the German-CD-Text:

Few jazz stars can claim to have set two such eccentric records as the British pianist Fred Hunt: The musician is one of England's most sought-after session cracks, has recorded countless records with almost all the greats of swing and old-time jazz, but for over twenty years he has steadfastly refused to record a solo record under his own name.

This in no way due to lack of opportunity. Rather for another reason; "After my first solo record in 1959, I decided not to make another record until a company could be found that would give me all the artistic freedom I needed. This consequence soon caused Fred Hunt a lot of trouble. British record producers quickly stamped him as a mimosa, attesting to his lack of discipline and refusing to give him the chance that this musician was waiting for.

During the past years the pianist had kept his head above water with an engagement with the British "Alex Welsh Jazz Band", probably the most perfect European mainstream group. And now and then he showed what he understood by a pianistic rake in the concerts of the Welsh Band. At one such concert we heard the British musician and spontaneously decided to offer the artist a contract. But that was easier said than done. Fred Hunt listened calmly to our offer, seemed enthusiastic - and refused. That was, as Hunt admits today with a smile and pleasure, "pure tactics. I first had to find out whether the matter was serious. After such a long time, one must also be sceptical." But after numerous flights and endless phone calls, the deal was done. Fred Hunt had agreed to it.

This means that the jazz world now has one more legend, the legend of Fred Hunt, whose good end nobody had believed in. All the more amazing is the result of the recording sessions, which lasted for several days. Right from the start, Hunt, with his two musicians Brion Mursell, bass, and Roger Nobes, drums, turned out to be a professional who has not lost any of his outstanding virtuosity. He shows himself to be a master of sparkling swing, arranging and layering full, warm and melodic chord cascades around his themes, only to skilfully break out into imaginative improvisations the next moment. His fellow musicians give him a lot of freedom, which he also needs to be able to return gently to the starting point after the wide arcs of tension. He never loses himself in trivialities, but proceeds with mathematical coolness.

A perfect example of Hunt's rich fantasy is the medley "All Our Yesterdays", a combination of the three titles "Yesterdays", "Yesterday When We Were Young" and the Beatles composition "Yesterday". Full of elegance, but without any superficiality, Hunt works his way through the different styles of composition and combines them into a sophisticated unity. The long introduction dissolves into a surprise - but listen for yourself.