IGNORED

New Schiit Modius DAC

1 hour ago, lmitche said:

I often wonder if the XMOS chip isn't the root cause of all the effort we go through to make USB listenable.

Electrically I don't think so. Most differentiation of USB input stages are about all the little details immediately surrounding the processor. Quality of power networks, tiny low-inductance bypass caps next to ever power pin, isolation, clocking, layout. etc.

Not that I am going to defend the XMOS dev environment or bloated stock code they come with. 9_9 

Schiit made the (wise) choice to move away from Cmedia and to something more open and flexible. Obviously there would be no point to just go from Cmedia to XMOS. And now that Windows (finally!) natively supports UAC2, the whole writing or licensing (and updating) drivers nightmare goes away.

The Microchip PIC32MZ EF microcontroller was a cool choice for their "Unison" input, giving them independence and flexibility for the future. Those chips have already have lots of built-in I/O (including Ethernet, USB, ADC, and even some graphics) and a good deal of memory. Microchip provides its own development environment (MPLAB), but I read about someone loading Linux into a PIC32.

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, happypappy said:

Sounds very interesting, though I do wonder about the fact that it's powered by USB instead of a quality separate power supply. 

Modius has a separate (microUSB) power input jack for those who wish to power it from an external +5VDC power supply instead of using USB 5VBUS power. So you just need a $0.50 DC-barrel>microUSB adapter to use with your present DC supply.