IGNORED

New Schiit Modius DAC

25 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

Oh sure, I just bought a Modi Multi-bit as my travel DAC...

But, from what I'm seeing, this isn't a multi-bit DAC architecture, so I think I'll stick with the Multi-bit.

Yeah, me too!  Just bought my Modi, except my Modi is not the fancy schmancy multi-bit one.

Oh, and Schiit is opening operations in my home State of Utah, so I can just drive over and demand a free upgrade.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

5 minutes ago, Blake said:

Yeah, me too!  Just bought my Modi, except my Modi is not the fancy schmancy multi-bit one.

Oh, and Schiit is opening operations in my home State of Utah, so I can just drive over and demand a free upgrade.

Do you like the plain Modi?

No electron left behind.

Just now, Blake said:

I sure do!

Oh, and now I see the new Schiit Utah location is literally 2 blocks from my office.  So I will just walk over to demand my free upgrade.

let me know how that goes, I want a Mobius Multibit with Unison USB and the Linear power supply like the Multi-bit!

No electron left behind.

Just add volume control and that's the full package!  A really good price point and option for a second system.  Cannot wait to hear some reviews here on AS.

RIG:  iFi Zen Stream - Benchmark DAC3 L - LA4  AHB2 | Paradigm Sig S6 Cables:  anything available

Got reviewed at ASR and measured superbly. Especially the USB input, so confirmation that Schiits new USB interface is very good. 

With the inputs it has, it looks like a great deal. Pretty amazing for $200. Get this in a Schiit "stack" and you could put together a very good system for relatively little. 

And it even comes in black....

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

1 hour ago, lmitche said:

I often wonder if the XMOS chip isn't the root cause of all the effort we go through to make USB listenable.

Electrically I don't think so. Most differentiation of USB input stages are about all the little details immediately surrounding the processor. Quality of power networks, tiny low-inductance bypass caps next to ever power pin, isolation, clocking, layout. etc.

Not that I am going to defend the XMOS dev environment or bloated stock code they come with. 9_9 

Schiit made the (wise) choice to move away from Cmedia and to something more open and flexible. Obviously there would be no point to just go from Cmedia to XMOS. And now that Windows (finally!) natively supports UAC2, the whole writing or licensing (and updating) drivers nightmare goes away.

The Microchip PIC32MZ EF microcontroller was a cool choice for their "Unison" input, giving them independence and flexibility for the future. Those chips have already have lots of built-in I/O (including Ethernet, USB, ADC, and even some graphics) and a good deal of memory. Microchip provides its own development environment (MPLAB), but I read about someone loading Linux into a PIC32.

10 minutes ago, Superdad said:

The Microchip PIC32MZ EF microcontroller was a cool choice for their "Unison" input, giving them independence and flexibility for the future. Those chips have already have lots of built-in I/O (including Ethernet, USB, ADC, and even some graphics) and a good deal of memory.

So does comment this imply they could choose to someday employ the base ingredients of their secret USB sauce with direct Ethernet input? (I'd Kickstarter that assuming they can isolate the noise!)

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.

29 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Sure, though there is not really any "secret sauce" to the PIC32 processor itself.  Schiit wrote/tweaked USB code for it and combined it with some of the same external post-processor isolation (brought over from their Gen5 boards).

Shucks, Alex, this isn't as much fun as reading Jason's chapter after chapter of Herculean code-sauce brewin' feats! 😉

You and John actually might have a similar book to write about hunting PHY noises beneath/between/behind the 1s and 0s, escaping out of USB and into our speakers...

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.

The Modius has redeemed Schiit in my eyes. (Not that they'd care particularly, I'm sure.)

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

• 1 month later...

Sounds very interesting, though I do wonder about the fact that it's powered by USB instead of a quality separate power supply.  In general, that's seen as an economic design compromise.  Besides, I own a terrific iFi 5 volt power supply that I use with my current SMSL Sanscrit DAC.  The iFi made a big sound improvement over the stock wall wart.  It seems a step backwards to rely on whatever potentially noisy USB power my computer may be spitting out.

But hey, if the Modius sounds great with USB power, then so be it.  I just wonder....hmmmm.  

4 minutes ago, happypappy said:

Sounds very interesting, though I do wonder about the fact that it's powered by USB instead of a quality separate power supply.  In general, that's seen as an economic design compromise.  Besides, I own a terrific iFi 5 volt power supply that I use with my current SMSL Sanscrit DAC.  The iFi made a big sound improvement over the stock wall wart.  It seems a step backwards to rely on whatever potentially noisy USB power my computer may be spitting out.

But hey, if the Modius sounds great with USB power, then so be it.  I just wonder....hmmmm.  

Hi Happypappy,

The Modius can be powered two ways, from the USB input port, or from the micro-USB power port on the back of the case. In this second mode there is small power draw from the USB input port.

The Modius is an unbelievable DAC for $200. I enjoyed hearing it.

Larry

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

5 minutes ago, happypappy said:

Sounds very interesting, though I do wonder about the fact that it's powered by USB instead of a quality separate power supply. 

Modius has a separate (microUSB) power input jack for those who wish to power it from an external +5VDC power supply instead of using USB 5VBUS power. So you just need a $0.50 DC-barrel>microUSB adapter to use with your present DC supply.

21 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Modius has a separate (microUSB) power input jack for those who wish to power it from an external +5VDC power supply instead of using USB 5VBUS power. So you just need a $0.50 DC-barrel>microUSB adapter to use with your present DC supply.

Outstanding.  Thank you.