IGNORED

Can you please check the quality of the vocal

I have had an argument with a friend (not on these forums) that there is a specific defect in the vocal part of the 30 second selection.  It is NOT a perfect decode and it is NOT a perfect recording.  However, my hearing is becoming that of an old person, and sometimes I get fooled.  Is there a prominent defect in the vocal?  Ambiance, nothing like that is the issue.  Name the defect!!!  (Truly, I don't want to bias the result, because one can trick themselves either way -- I will be honest with the critical comment that I am getting, and also the suspicion about the reason about the complaint...)  It is my position that it isn't perfect, but there isn't an extreme or disqualifying defect, but I normally trust this person.  This is a straight "--fcm=--:" decode, about as vanilla as it can be.

Thanks ahead of time for the feedback -- I am beside myself in believing the criticism...  Please tell me what I am missing, PLEASE!!!

John

JudyDemo.flac

I would still appreciate any replies -- but I got some through private email/messaging....   The answer is apparently that someone with sour grapes had been complaining about excessive sibilance.  I couldn't hear any excessive sibilance, and in fact it seems to be 'stumbling' (muted/damaged) sibilance that causes kind of a muted 's'.  (It is easy to fix, but I wanted someone to verify my opinon that the sibilance wasn't ear damaging or anything like that.)   One of the major complaints when trying to decode non-encoded material is an extreme kind of sibilance.  In this case, it seems to be the opposite problem.

I decided to take up your invitation to play this on my HQplayer - and then JRiver MC 26 - \

The vocals comes over the Right channel. Her vocals are 'hard sounding in the upper registers.

Even with upsampling using HQPlayer 4 there is no softening of the hard sound. It sounds hard and flat

Hope that is what you are expecting as feedback

Kelvin

1 hour ago, kelvinwsy said:

I decided to take up your invitation to play this on my HQplayer - and then JRiver MC 26 - \

The vocals comes over the Right channel. Her vocals are 'hard sounding in the upper registers.

Even with upsampling using HQPlayer 4 there is no softening of the hard sound. It sounds hard and flat

Kelvin

Yea -- her recordings aren't always great sounding, sad because she has a nice voice and I have heard a nice person...  I was getting criticism from someone about extreme sibilance, which it doesn't have.  There is a problem with the sibilance, but it has a halting/stopped-up effect because I purposefully didn't adjust it out.  I wanted to do ZERO tweaks.  The original is the same, but more compressed, woody sounding, slippery 's' sounds...  Not good, and it is sad, because I have heard she is a nice person.  This is a case of a nice history of music, but good recordings are sometimes hard to find.  In fact, in POP, no CDs (or very few) are done correctly at all!!!  Not Hi-Res, nothing, unless done by a boutique outfit.  MFSL has a track record of doing the mastering at least partially correctly.

I can make it sound A LOT better, but that wasn't the purpose.   I wanted feedback on the vanilla decode.

John

2 hours ago, kelvinwsy said:

Kelvin

You were right that there are problems in the recording (per myother response), but I thought it would be most fair for me to remove the decoding problems (clean up the sibilance.)  The change to the decoding parameters was small.   I don't like to do 'mastering', so the only EQ that I do is to bring the copy to a state where it accurately reflects the recording. 

I have included the original, direct from CD with the compression and slurpy 's' sibilance, enhanced high end, and slightly woody sound (like an over emphasized midrange.):  JudyRaw.flac  (typical damage on consumer CDs since inception.)

An improved version of the previous post, a little more careful about the sibilance, and the decoding parameters are built-in to the .flac file: JudyDemo1.flac (a little closer to the master tape used to produce JudyRaw).

The purpose of the original question was ONLY about getting secondary feedback about excessive sibilance.   This is a common complaint from nay-sayers who know enough about DolbyA to be able to make a well known technical complaint.

This is to demonstrate that the stumbling sibilance could be corrected.  (Sorry about the -10dB peak level, but I tend to work with headroom when possible, and I didnt' rerun to bring the levels to near clipping.)  I didn't enhance anything, so this (JudyDemo1) hasn't been mastered, just decoded.

John

JudyRaw.flac JudyDemo1.flac