IGNORED

Article: Simple Raspberry Pi Fun Without a Power Supply

21 hours ago, MikePM said:

Great article.  My question is the overall merit of doing PoE.  I can get a PoE switch that injects power into the system relatively cheaply, but does it also add noise generally or otherwise degrade other parts of the system.  If its one device, maybe just adding power to the R Pi would be better?  

Hi Mike, there may be many "better" options but it really depends on what one's goal is. Mine was to create an audio endpoint with PoE so I could run a single cable to it (Ethernet) and a single cable out of it (USB). The simplicity is what I want out of this device. I have Sonore Rendu devices for everything else.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi Mike, there may be many "better" options but it really depends on what one's goal is. Mine was to create an audio endpoint with PoE so I could run a single cable to it (Ethernet) and a single cable out of it (USB). The simplicity is what I want out of this device. I have Sonore Rendu devices for everything else.

I run a Cisco 2960 switch via poE (from another Cisco 2960 that supplies the power) and it was a subtle upgrade over just the main Cisco switch. The poE switch only carries audio traffic. Worth the $50 or so I paid for a used one. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

On 6/4/2020 at 12:12 PM, greyscale said:

FWIW, new Rasberry Pi 4 8GB mem 64bit os just released. Backordered everyware🥵

The 64 bit OS is in beta, and that's optimistic.  You might want to read my initial evaluation of it for audiophiles.  It's simply not ready for our use yet, e.g. I couldn't get Roon Bridge to install after an hour of trying Roon's easy install - it throws an error about the ALSA libraries that I simply couldn't decipher well enough to fix.  It's not fully coded for audio or video, can't use VNC, won't run VLC, has an altered root structure for multiple files compared to Raspbian, etc.  I'm sure they'll fix it all, but for now we still have to use the 32 bit Raspberry Pi OS (formerly known as Raspbian).  Click the image to open the thread.

OS64 thread

Up and running here.  I used Ubuntu 20.04 and downloaded Roon Bridge.  Using a PoE injector from the B side of an EtherRegen to the Raspberry Pi.  Other than a temporary issue with my DAC (thanks Chris) it's working perfectly, and sounds much better than I thought it would.  

Colin

16 minutes ago, frederick184 said:

Up and running here.  I used Ubuntu 20.04 and downloaded Roon Bridge.  Using a PoE injector from the B side of an EtherRegen to the Raspberry Pi.  Other than a temporary issue with my DAC (thanks Chris) it's working perfectly, and sounds much better than I thought it would.  

Colin

Very cool Colin. 

Did you use the linked file to quiet the fan noise? Or, did you get a PoE hat without a fan?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Chris,

Maybe you could schedule a future article on your network, or networking in general. I'm considering a future network upgrade, which will include POE for security cams (Nest et al. do not cut it, and the security issues bother me). Running Pi + Dragonfly to the bedrooms seems like a good idea for my future update, and fiber to the listening room seems like it would make sense as part of the project.  An in depth overview of your network, with discussion of the whys and hows, might be a nice little feature.