The Computer Audiophile

Article: Simple Raspberry Pi Fun Without a Power Supply

I was thinking about this the other day as a way to get Roon and HQP to my McIntosh using the PoE capabilities of the Ubiquiti switch.

Thanks Chris.

No electron left behind...

Fun project!  I happily use a RaPi as a Roon end point for my patio speakers.  This might be a fun retrofit project, esp. since the RaPi is now connected to a PoE capable EdgeRouter X SFP.

Chris, hope you and yours are safe and in good spirits...

Just now, The Computer Audiophile said:

Very cool. I haven't tested it, but for $25.99 the risk isn't much.

https://amzn.to/2ZZaVAQ

This one looks like it can deliver the full 3 AMP for the Pi 4. 

This one says it for sure works on the Pi 4B, whereas the other was contradictory.

LoveRPi Power-Over-Ethernet (PoE) HAT for Raspberry Pi 4 Model B and Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ (Professional, Isolated (3KV))

https://amzn.to/2BlkM9D

81yMa74O32L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Founder of Audiophile Style

Announcing Polestar | Quick Community Reviews and Ratings

12 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

This one says it for sure works on the Pi 4B, whereas the other was contradictory.

LoveRPi Power-Over-Ethernet (PoE) HAT for Raspberry Pi 4 Model B and Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ (Professional, Isolated (3KV))

https://amzn.to/2BlkM9D

81yMa74O32L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Looks like this one has clearance for the CPU so you could still use a passive heatsink. 

P.S. I'm not giving up my Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical anytime soon.“

Cool beans, Chris!  But you’re begging the question: why not - SQ?  Aesthetics? Other?  Please tell us what you’re hearing.

3 hours ago, vortecjr said:

We have Sonic Orbiter ported to the Pi platform. Any interest in this from the DIY community? 

YES!

What the hell, I love beta testing...

4 hours ago, vortecjr said:

We have Sonic Orbiter ported to the Pi platform. Any interest in this from the DIY community? 

Definitely.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>CAPS IV Pipeline Server + Sonore 12V PS>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>RPi4 (dietpi)>Kii Control>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: (1) CAPS Pipeline>Matrix Element i Streamer/DAC (XLR)>Schiit Freya>Kii Three .(2) CAPS>ifi iDAC SPDIF>Kii Control.

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup. Living Room/Kitchen: RB Pi 3B+ running RoPieee to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

4 hours ago, vortecjr said:

Picturing a Sonic Orbiter Pi in every room! Kids can have it getting Spotify and I can run Roon + Tidal on others.

1 hour ago, bluesman said:

For sure!  I’d love to see how it compares to Roon Bridge on a current Pi.  The big question will be if and how it redefines the value proposition in audio.

As I recall, it’s been running on ARM SoCs from inception, so the Pi is a logical home for it. But much of its sonic advantage in commercial devices has been attributed by Sonore and others to hardware components described in promotional literature as “better than consumer grade”.  So I’m wondering how much of its potential can be achieved in the Pi, given the build-to-a-price-and-purpose development that kinda makes a Pi the ultimate consumer-grade device.  I’ve paid more for resistors and caps than a Pi costs.

This begs the question of whether the Pi itself and/or associated factors like PS and OS limitations are the final determinants of SQ.  If they are, we may be at the limit now.  If not, let’s see how far past the already excellent Roon Bridge we can go on it.

Thanks for advancing the art while making it more affordable!

AFAIR, one of the reasons Sonore says their endpoints are superior is that the OS only runs one ot the playback software platforms at a time, and the setup is slightly optimized for each one in turn. I'm wondering if this would also apply to the OS on a Pi.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>CAPS IV Pipeline Server + Sonore 12V PS>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>RPi4 (dietpi)>Kii Control>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: (1) CAPS Pipeline>Matrix Element i Streamer/DAC (XLR)>Schiit Freya>Kii Three .(2) CAPS>ifi iDAC SPDIF>Kii Control.

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup. Living Room/Kitchen: RB Pi 3B+ running RoPieee to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Will this have all of the output functionality of a Rendu?  Roon and NAA Endpoint being the most useful in my use case?

1 hour ago, firedog said:

AFAIR, one of the reasons Sonore says their endpoints are superior is that the OS only runs one ot the playback software platforms at a time, and the setup is slightly optimized for each one in turn. I'm wondering if this would also apply to the OS on a Pi.

Here's one of the quotes to which I was referring:

• "The problem with computer music servers is that they all rely on mass-produced motherboards designed for general purpose computing and are built to the lowest possible price point. The ultraRendu solves this problem by removing the consumer grade computer peripherals and optimizing power supplies where necessary."

The Raspberry Pi is the physical embodiment of general purpose design built to the lowest possible price point.  If we removed the consumer grade parts and substituted better ones, it wouldn't be a Pi and it wouldn't cost $55.  Yet several very fine players squeeze truly excellent SQ from it.  So I wonder how much room for improvement is left on a Pi if it's already as good as it can get because everything about it is part of "the problem with computer music servers".

Then again, if (as many of us feel) these shortcomings have been a bit overstated and the Pi's a better device than some would have us believe, there's still room for further improvement.  So I'd love to redo some of my SBC software comparisons with SO in the mix.  And if it's better than Roon Bridge et al, let's see how close it can get to a Rendu of any color.

15 hours ago, vortecjr said:

YES... Ordering a Couple of Pi's now!

Great article.  My question is the overall merit of doing PoE.  I can get a PoE switch that injects power into the system relatively cheaply, but does it also add noise generally or otherwise degrade other parts of the system.  If its one device, maybe just adding power to the R Pi would be better?  

1) Selah Audio Fedele Speakers (Revel in ceiling surrounds) QNAP TS-251 NAS accessed w/ a Ruku Ultra through SPDIF ipurifier into a Marantz SR7008 A/V receiver.

2) Freya + preamp, Hypex NC400 Amp, Zaph L18 Speakers, Martin Logan Dynamo sub-woofer

Bluesound Node 2 and Pro-Ject Expression w/ AT440mlb.

19 minutes ago, MikePM said:

Great article.  My question is the overall merit of doing PoE.  I can get a PoE switch that injects power into the system relatively cheaply, but does it also add noise generally or otherwise degrade other parts of the system.  If its one device, maybe just adding power to the R Pi would be better?  

Or just get a power injector for that particular port. It all happens upstream of the switch.  Getting one in today. I'll let you know how it goes.