IGNORED

ELAC Navis ARB-51 connected to Cambridge Audio CXN V2 through XLR noise

dmaris

Question

I am connecting ELAC Navis ARB-5 to the Cambridge Audio CXN V2 through XLR cables (Oyaide Audio). When I turn off the CXN i pick up a Humming noise coming from the ELAC speakers. The hum goes away when i turn on the CXN. Any suggestions of what causes this and how I can fix it? 

1 answer to this question

If I'm reading this correctly, you have powered speakers that hum when your streamer/integrated amplifier is off?  you

Your speakers have built-in amplifiers, and any amplifier can have a certain level of hum with no signal.  I think you answered your own question when you say that with the streamer turned back on the hum goes away. 

I don't think there's anything wrong with your setup, other than a routine of turning everything off when you're not listening to the system.  Hum takes a lot of forms and can be due to ground loops, etc. with a 60 cycle sound that's unmistakable.  

I think in you case it's simply a matter of an amplifier with no signal with an open input and no signal generating hum due to no common connection from the source.