IGNORED

Shanti PSU humming

9 hours ago, Stusw15 said:

I bought a Shanti from Audiophonics (France)delivered to the UK recently and am experiencing a buzzing noise.  Though quite faint it can be heard from 3 meters away and is quite annoying when there are no other noises in the room.  What can I do to resolved this ?

Forwarded PM please check

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi all,

New member here and have been enjoying a digione signature for a couple of years, powered with Nirvana. Have just bought a Shanti but am getting the hum that was mentioned on this thread - audible at 2M away from the PSU. Is that likely to be a problem my side or could it be the unit?

Cheers, Bisho

1 hour ago, Bisho said:

Hi all,

New member here and have been enjoying a digione signature for a couple of years, powered with Nirvana. Have just bought a Shanti but am getting the hum that was mentioned on this thread - audible at 2M away from the PSU. Is that likely to be a problem my side or could it be the unit?

Cheers, Bisho

Usually mechanical hum from the transformer is DC on the mains. Try one of these, buy from someone who allows returns if it does not solve.

https://ifi-audio.com/products/dc-blocker/

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

30 minutes ago, Matias said:

Usually mechanical hum from the transformer is DC on the mains. Try one of these, buy from someone who allows returns if it does not solve.

https://ifi-audio.com/products/dc-blocker/

Does the Shanti have a transformer that could be affected by DC - I know it is typically toroidal transformers that can be affected, not sure what type Shanti has. I don't have any other components that hum so I'm thinking it could be the unit itself. I guess I could try that DC blocker as you suggest and if it doesn't work then conclude it's RMA time.

1 hour ago, Bisho said:

Does the Shanti have a transformer that could be affected by DC - I know it is typically toroidal transformers that can be affected, not sure what type Shanti has. I don't have any other components that hum so I'm thinking it could be the unit itself. I guess I could try that DC blocker as you suggest and if it doesn't work then conclude it's RMA time.

It does have a transformer.

927294192_allo-shanti-dual-regulated-linear-power-supply-5v-3a-5v-1a1.jpg.4a7549779f7fd8ad9ba3dd4fbdadee8b.jpg

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

Of course it has a transformer and yes it is likely that is the cause of the hum. I had 2 units now and they both hum although the second one is slightly better than the first. It could be because my voltage is higher than in Europe, uk voltage can be upto 253 volts and it does affect how much it hums, higher voltage more hum.

But I know of another make that does not hum, wish I had bought that now, it is more expensive. Another U.K. user I know, has now gone over to that brand from the Shanti. I believe it is to do with the type of transformer they use.

The iFi dc blocker looks interesting but it is £130 which is a lot of extra money.

Yes, have tried a DC blocker and it still hums. So it seems these PSUs can hum irrespective of the condition of the mains power, and returning for a new unit might not make any difference. To be fair despite the hum it does wonders for the sound from the streamer....

Yes it’s true the replacement maybe no better.

If you get a replacement then ensure @Allo pay for the return which is around £20 depending which service you use. Or you can request a refund.

If you can hear the buzz at over 2m away I would consider that not acceptable. 

It is annoying, as you say the sound quality is better.

25 minutes ago, Ray99 said:

Yes it’s true the replacement maybe no better.

If you get a replacement then ensure @Allo pay for the return which is around £20 depending which service you use. Or you can request a refund.

If you can hear the buzz at over 2m away I would consider that not acceptable. 

It is annoying, as you say the sound quality is better.

Thanks Ray. @Audio_Allo can you guys advise if you recommend me shipping the unit to you for a return?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I received my Allo Shanti LPS 2 days back. On day one the unit was very quite, and functioned flawless without hum or heating up. The very next day i could hear a distinct hum noise and the unit was a bit warm to touch. I am using it to power Ifi Neo DSD, it has improved the audio quality significantly. However the transformer hum is pretty annoying. Please let me know how to resolve this issue.

On 7/18/2021 at 2:30 AM, Karthik S said:

I received my Allo Shanti LPS 2 days back. On day one the unit was very quite, and functioned flawless without hum or heating up. The very next day i could hear a distinct hum noise and the unit was a bit warm to touch. I am using it to power Ifi Neo DSD, it has improved the audio quality significantly. However the transformer hum is pretty annoying. Please let me know how to resolve this issue.

Forwarded PM please check

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi, I've recently bought an Allo Shanti from Pi Hut in the UK. It has audible transformer hum from 2 meters away. I have several other devices connected to the same plug (amp, cd player) and neither exhibit any transformer hum. As this is no cheap item, looking forward to any suggestion that can improve this.

On 5/1/2022 at 10:28 AM, sozz said:

Hi, I've recently bought an Allo Shanti from Pi Hut in the UK. It has audible transformer hum from 2 meters away. I have several other devices connected to the same plug (amp, cd player) and neither exhibit any transformer hum. As this is no cheap item, looking forward to any suggestion that can improve this.

I would send it back at sellers expense for a refund. There should not be hum at 2 metres. It could be that U.K. voltage is higher than in Europe. I know at higher voltage these hum more. 

On 4/28/2022 at 10:13 AM, tasamoto said:

Hi, I wonder if there is any solution for the hum in the Shanti. I have a second hand unit, so I believe there is no chance for manufacturer replacement? Unless The Allo is replacing all of them due to the manufacturing fault issue.

Allo did get me to open the unit and checked the screws were tight, you could try some isolation products under the unit, that may reduce the hum slightly. I may try a dc blocker to see if that cures the hum but these are around £100, looking for a used one. I returned my first one, the second one was better but still hums.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi, I have opened the top cover of my Shanti and  I have noticed that the transformer is with the following symbols: RN-40B; PRI: 110V-0-110V 50/60Hz. Does it mean it is dedicated for the US market with lower voltage. Would using the 220V to 110V step down external transformer help to eliminate the hum? Has any of you experienced similar issue?