IGNORED

Shanti PSU humming

I ordered a Shanti in November 2019 along with a USBridge Signature. I have noticed that the Shanti has quite an audible hum. What is causing this hum and what are the implications? Is the unit faulty? Do all Shanti's suffer from a hum?

Thanks

Hi Rossco, does it generate a hum via the amp or does the Shanti is itself?

Ethernet::4x Bonn Silent Angel 8P, Afterdark Emperor Doublr  Crown Masterclock and Cybershaft 75 Ohm,Mini Circuits convertor,Uptone EtherRegen with 75Ohm. SOTM Cat CAT 7.

Audio: Auralic Vega G2.1, Cambridge Edge W, Kef Reference 3 speakers.  
Power: Farad super 3 (2x) , Keces P8 ( 2 Uptone LPS1.2 ) Afterdark 5V: 

Cables:Meicord Opal, SOTM Cat7 with filtering, Ghent Audio DC , Farad Level 2, Sharkwire speaker cable

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same issue the shanti is humming not very loud but noticeable and yes it is the classic transformer noise.
Is this really normal? With that price tag it shouldn't.

@Audio_Allo i see you have recommended people with that problem to check something. What is it?

Regards
Odie

8 hours ago, Odie said:

I have the same issue the shanti is humming not very loud but noticeable and yes it is the classic transformer noise.
Is this really normal? With that price tag it shouldn't.

@Audio_Allo i see you have recommended people with that problem to check something. What is it?

Regards
Odie

Forwarded PM please check

To be honest I am sending the Shanti PSU back to the vendor. I don't think that an "audiophile" PSU should make any hear able noises.

@Audio_Allo thank you for your support, I checked everything you suggested, I even took a look inside to see if there is something loose.

@Allo would you please clarify if the Shanti power supply is virtually silent or is there a noticeable humming from the transformer by default.

Thank you.

Hello Odie

Shanti has a very small hum as with any LPS . However we found that one unit in 90 (about) the hum is audible at more than 2 feet. For a few weeks now (at least 4) we are screening all Shantis and removing the ones that have a hum thats audible at 1-2 feet

You probably bought one from a reseller , unfortunately those were not screened (but they are now)

• 3 months later...

Hi, I have just bought a Shanti and notice there is hum, it is noticable from about 4m away, on quiet music it is also noticable. Also I know someone else in the UK that has the same issue. Is it because the voltage in the UK is 240-250 volts, that is one theory.  I have tried various things to reduce the hum but with only limited success.

Is there anything else I can do before I send it back.

2 hours ago, Ray99 said:

Hi, I have just bought a Shanti and notice there is hum, it is noticable from about 4m away, on quiet music it is also noticable. Also I know someone else in the UK that has the same issue. Is it because the voltage in the UK is 240-250 volts, that is one theory.  I have tried various things to reduce the hum but with only limited success.

Is there anything else I can do before I send it back.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi, I have just taken delivery of a Shanti, directly from Allo. I have the Shanti located in my listening room, approximately 1m / 3 ft from where I am seated. Since switching the Shanti on a few days ago, I observe a buzzing noise originating from it.  What can I do to resolve this?

9 hours ago, msaege said:

Hi, I have just taken delivery of a Shanti, directly from Allo. I have the Shanti located in my listening room, approximately 1m / 3 ft from where I am seated. Since switching the Shanti on a few days ago, I observe a buzzing noise originating from it.  What can I do to resolve this?

Yes I think there is a problem with the transformer. My first unit buzzed from the start, this was replaced by Allo, at first there was only a slight buzz but after a few days it got  louder, I can hear from 3m away but it’s not as bad as the first one. I could not be bothered to send the second one back to Allo in France, I have nothing else to use anyway.

i think part of the problem is  in The U.K. the voltage is higher than Europe, can be around 250 volts.