IGNORED

Single vs multiple measurements with Acourate digital room EQ

Hi @Archimago and @mitchco

Great book Mitch ! And great article Archi about Acourate:

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2019/10/2019-update-basic-acourate-dsp-room.html

Just wanted to ask if you do/did multiple measurements around the main listening position, with Acourate?

If so, can you share a guide on multiple measurements in Acourate?

If not, can you please explain why a single measurement is fine with Acourate?

I'm just using simple pair of passive speakers with no DSP crossover (yet).

Thanks!

Hi Jeffrey, yes, same for AL. You can find an equivalent analysis chart in the AL manual. See page 41 of the PDF help file.

Acourate and Audiolense are the only DSP software I know that employs this type of psychoacoustic filtering during the measurement/analysis process.

Both software also has the capability for multiple analysis measurements. I have done both (to death!). At this level of (SOTA) performance, I encourage folks to try both (i.e. single analysis versus multiple) and let your ears decide which one you prefer, as the frequency and timing response are pretty much the same regardless of which method is chosen.

1 hour ago, mitchco said:

Acourate and Audiolense are the only DSP software I know that employs this type of psychoacoustic filtering during the measurement/analysis process.

Dirac Live is a bit of a black box, so it's possible they are doing something similar but only Dirac would know for sure?

43 minutes ago, mitchco said:

Answer is in post 2.

Hi @mitchco, I did see "Dirac, Audyssey, Lyngdorf use different calculations by averaging multiple frequency responses. They need to do this to to also avoid over-boosts"

But is that the only reason Dirac takes multiple measurements? Only to avoid over-boosts?

I'm not sure how Uli would know all the reasons, unless Dirac have somewhere explained what they're doing.

Dirac has always seemed a bit 'black box' though (to me).

Some of us have taken extensive measurements after correction for each of the DSP products listed... multiple times on multiple systems. It is not too hard to figure out what is going on...

Dirac's technology is different using a combo of IIR and FIR filters as discussed in this article, which also links to their whitepaper on their tech: 

Why not ask Dirac directly?

Where are you in your DSP journey?

On 5/31/2020 at 1:13 AM, mitchco said:

"Acourate mainly uses the measurement at the listening position. This results in the best correction at thee sweet spot. But. because Acourate applies a different approach in the calculations the result is not only valid for a single position. So you can walk around and you will notice that the sound at other positions is not getting bad. The Acourate calculation avoids over-boosts by principle..

Dirac, Audyssey, Lyngdorf use different calculations by averaging multiple frequency responses. They need to do this to to also avoid over-boosts.

I saw Dirac responded to this comment of Uli:

image.thumb.png.7eef7e2abe268aa2bce0355479454876.png