IGNORED

Is USB straight from a Mac computer to a DAC really that bad?

audiophile911

I think we're a long way off... considering some users indicating very noticeable improvements by adding, for example, the Innuos Phoenix in between the Innuos Statement streamer and the Chord Dave/MScaler DAC combination (neither of which being shoddy in any shape or form)

2015 MacBook Pro > SOtM tX-USBultra > Mutec MC3+USB > Chord Blu Mk2 > Chord Dave > ATC SIA2-150/P1/P2 > ATC SCM50 PSLT

Just now, beerandmusic said:

comparing good or bad gas would be more like comparing one song to another, and besides doesn't make sense to compare usb to a fuel pump.  usb always transmits the bits accurately.

It's the timing of delivery, not the fact that the right 'bits' get delivered. Accuracy has to apply to both, that's why master clocks make a difference and why high end dacs/streamers have external word clock inputs

2015 MacBook Pro > SOtM tX-USBultra > Mutec MC3+USB > Chord Blu Mk2 > Chord Dave > ATC SIA2-150/P1/P2 > ATC SCM50 PSLT

1 minute ago, beerandmusic said:

I would not argue that...but that could/should be a function of the dac.

If the dac can get the bits accurately, the design of the dac should be able to take that "perfection" up to the conversion circuitry...especially when you have a dac that does it's own regneration...

I think in some respect its a limitation of the processing power... this is why Chord developed the MScaler to take a huge chunk of the upscaling outboard from the DAC, so that the DAC (Dave/Hugo(TT)2/Qutest) has less to do, thereby improving the 'sound'. They couldn't put both MScaler and Dave together in one box because of the required current draw (the BluMk2 CD transport draws up to 10A for MScaling, and gets f'ing hot to the touch.

1 minute ago, beerandmusic said:

this processing power is for "upsampling", which is a totally different subject, which i have my own debate about different than this one.

I would also add that the performance of Dave/MScaler is very much improved with upstream reclocking… 

Just now, beerandmusic said:

again, might not argue that point, but that is different topic.

I thought it relevant, since the (reclocked/improved) timing of the digital signal makes a difference, even with high(er) end DACs

1 minute ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

In my experience jitter can round the edges of transients and make music sound soft. 

Quite the opposite for me... I consider jitter to cause digital glare and top end harshness

3 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

This is what i always test for.  The track by Chet Baker "ALONE" is the "PERFECT" test track.

Depending on different solutions I have tried, there is a very light instrument in the right speaker, that is either clear, extremely faint, or non-existent.  I finally hear it vividly now using unison out my every day windows PC that has been absent in past, that i could always hear when streaming or via a usb thumbdrive.

So you're happy with what you've got... end of story