IGNORED

Article: The Value Proposition In Computer Audio: Nuts, Bolts, and Building Blocks - Building a Home for Your Player Software Part 2

1 minute ago, plissken said:

Unfortunately only partially quoting and dropping it here means that all context is lost.

Here's the full quote:

As we see here, there is no difference at all how you drive the S/PDIF input on the Exasound E32. It excellently cleans up whatever ills may be on S/PDIF and renders the same excellent output. So if you have a high-quality DAC, there is no reason to anguish over how you are driving it.

So Amir is using the Exasound 32 as an engineering example of what you get when designers take care to sanitize their inputs from typical upstream issues. Also Benchmark did this with one of their DAC's and I believe a 100 foot cable that was just ludicrously out of spec, also former member Mansr midwifed a USB setup that was out of spec but showed 100% reconstruction by the DAC regardless.

Great article BTW. And there is now an 8GB of RAM Pi but we have to wait for a 64bit OS for it.

Thankfully we were rescued by one of Amir's disciples. 

The context there added nothing and in fact was nothing but a side note because it involved a subset of his all encompassing statement, "So if you have a high-quality DAC, there is no reason to anguish over how you are driving it."

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

6 minutes ago, firedog said:

Pretty much agree. But I can definitely see buying some thing like the USB Sig with the DigiOne Sig board. Why? You get what you know is a well made, hi-spec unit with a decent case, and a streamer that gives you both USB and SPDIF outs - a nice feature that few relatively inexpensive alternatives have. Each of us has to decide if the audiophile aspects of the allo products are worth the extra cost vs. a standard Pi with and addon board. 

Plus, a cool thing about Allo is the company has been a supporter of this community for years and moved it’s full support forum right here. 

I know this doesn’t matter to some people, but if two or three products from different companies are very similar, it’s always nice to go with the company that supports one’s interests. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png