IGNORED

Article: The Value Proposition In Computer Audio: Nuts, Bolts, and Building Blocks - Building a Home for Your Player Software Part 2

2 hours ago, bluesman said:

Thanks!  I have no issue with the statement itself. My issue is that it doesn’t actually say anything at all, let alone say what you said (and what I think but do not know for sure was meant by it), namely that SQ is unaffected - a statement with which you and I agree. Why oh why is it so hard to be simple?  Audiophiles, and especially many pundits and gurus, often hide interesting observations and good information in effete, purposeless prose that obscures rather than frames anything useful hiding within.  Like the country song suggests, I want a little less Shakespeare and a lot more Hemingway 😀

My aims in referencing that thread were to shed more light on Dave’s (davide256) observation about the SQ differences he heard between microRendu and Pi 3b+, to discuss his Pi USB concerns, and to consider his interest in the new “Signature” Rendu.   The strongly worded polar opposites that follow one another in that thread like insults from Don Rickles are, for me, ample support for what you and I are saying - and all 3 of my aims are touched within it.  

So here’s what I distill from this mash:  A well set up, normally functioning Pi or equivalent SBC will push a faithful bit stream into a DAC as well as anything else I’ve used - perceived SQ issues originate elsewhere in the chain between source and brain.  USB is not a SQ barrier if you power the DAC separately and don’t come close to the limit of available USB power with other peripherals (eg use external power if you must use a USB HDD or SSD).  An SPDIF HAT on my Pi will probably not make it sound any better, although I haven’t yet tried one and will do so - such opinions are better based on experience than belief.   And, parenthetically but to Dave’s observations, there’s not enough unanimity of opinion on the Signature to suggest to me that it’s going to sound better than the “unsigned” predecessor or a Pi. No, I’m not going to buy one to find out - I’ll suffer no anguish despite not knowing :) 

Thanks too for your approach and contributions! 

Pretty much agree. But I can definitely see buying some thing like the USB Sig with the DigiOne Sig board. Why? You get what you know is a well made, hi-spec unit with a decent case, and a streamer that gives you both USB and SPDIF outs - a nice feature that few relatively inexpensive alternatives have. Each of us has to decide if the audiophile aspects of the allo products are worth the extra cost vs. a standard Pi with and addon board. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)