IGNORED

TUREMETAL Case for Dual CPU. EOI

9 hours ago, Nenon said:

I like the UP10 case a lot. Would that include the needed accessories to passively cool down two Xeon CPUs? If he can include that and design mounting space for a hdplex 800W dc to dc convertor, I believe we can easily get 10 people to join.

Probably best if he can put together a simulation/drawing and give us a price. Then we can gather a group of people who are interested and collect a payment before he does the manufacturing. 

And then there is the other thread started by Peter Avgeris, so we have some options. 

@Nenon Yes he will have the full accessories. He will give me some drawings and I will post when available. I have also asked him to look at the extra space for the potential LPS or DC/DC units.

Qnap NAS (LPS) >UA ETHER REGEN (BG7TBL Master Clock) > Grimm MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui /Meridian 808.3> Wavac EC300B >Tannoy Canterbury SE

HP Rig ++ >Woo WES/ > Stax SR-009, Audeze LCD2

Folks.

So Turnmetal is reluctantly to do any drawings. Ironically he cited copyright issues. Reverse ones.

He has said that he can do any reasonable size.

Will include all accessories, heat pipes, sinks, etc.

Then cam the daunting bit, the price.

TM noted that we are not taking about bog standards; 

Or industry mass production, etc..

This was a custom build - implying costly.

He will be able to confirm the price, design (Based on our agreed specs - size),etc. after there is (kind of) a letter of intent and $ advance.

The price will be nearer to $1K USD.

So do I have 9 more people who are interested.

Qnap NAS (LPS) >UA ETHER REGEN (BG7TBL Master Clock) > Grimm MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui /Meridian 808.3> Wavac EC300B >Tannoy Canterbury SE

27 minutes ago, dminches said:

I am still interested.

My suggestion is that a subset of the interested group hold a discussion among themselves and agree on certain design features (size, cooling, etc.) and then run them by the group.  People like Nenon and some others who have been deeply involved in custom builds and know the limitations of the current available cases should participate.  

One good data point with respect to size would be the Extreme case which we know can hold the Sage mobo with room for power supply components as well.

@dminches, That is a good plan. Lets wait for No. 3 now

1 hour ago, shahed99 said:

1. SAGE mobo with dual CPU support.

2. Standard full size E/ATX support.

3. Full height PCIE (at least 2).

4. HDPLEX 800W DC-ATX mounting space.

5. Single CPU support that can accommodate at least 180W TDP.

@shahed99 your criteria's make sense. We can start from that. Shall I count you as No. 3 of 10?

13 hours ago, dminches said:

My suggestion is that a subset of the interested group hold a discussion among themselves and agree on certain design features (size, cooling, etc.) and then run them by the group.  People like Nenon and some others who have been deeply involved in custom builds and know the limitations of the current available cases should participate.  

2 hours ago, shahed99 said:

1. SAGE mobo with dual CPU support.

2. Standard full size E/ATX support.

3. Full height PCIE (at least 2).

4. HDPLEX 800W DC-ATX mounting space.

5. Single CPU support that can accommodate at least 180W TDP.

@dminches, @shahed99

So we wait. 3 Musketeers. Looking for the Intrepid 10.

Or. At least @Nenon or similar experts to help facilitate our build and take it from there.

Turnmetal noted that he did not want a design by committee. Which would make it impossible for him to start and end in a structured manner. He wanted us structure ourselves, then discuss with him, a very short feedback loop, then take it home from there. Which made sense to me too.

8 hours ago, ASRMichael said:

I’m in also

@ASRMichael Welcome.

4 out of 10 in!

To provoke some thoughts, discussion. Here are some sketches.

IMG_4394.JPG

IMG_4393.JPG

IMG_4396.JPG

Foremost.

I am embarrassed that I have constantly said TURNMETAL and it is actually TUREMETAL. Lets leave the semantic and the philosophy to another day.

So.

The list is dragging on a bit with understandable inertia. Cost and Specs are either high or unclear.

Here is the list for now.

1. @zerung

2. @dminches

3. @shahed99

4. @ASRMichael

5.5 @Nsxturbo

6.5 @adamaley

7.5 @bobfa

8.5 @Nenon

9.5 ?

10.5 ?

Fencer 5.5 @Nsxturbo

Agree on all your views and also the 10mm plate. I think that is an important bucket list.

Fencer 6.5 @adamaley

Height Fetish. Are we not all. 100% Agree

Fencer 7.5 @bobfa

Bit Fussy.(Understandable). Cooling pipe does not work? Yes. This is an issue. We will need to see what else we can do?

Fencer 8.5 @Nenon

He likes it !

So the early adopters looks very promising. Hope this week we can have 10 and then  move ahead?

Possible Wish List.

Capture.JPG

@gerardiw Welcome to the group & the Audiophilestyle.

Here is the latest list,

1.    @zerung

2.    @dminches

3.    @shahed99

4.    @ASRMichael

5.    @gerardiw

6.5  @Nsxturbo

7.5  @adamaley

8.5  @bobfa

9.5  @Nenon

10.5 ?

Possible Wish List.

Capture.JPG

If we rotate the location of the LPS | DC/DC, the wire management may be better, excepting the crossover between one of the cooling pipes and the power supply cables below. Of course this is based on the Asus Mobo. It will vary for other motherboard.

Arguably this is a better disposition of various parts? The clarity of zones for PCI | RAM | etc is apparent.

IMG_4397.JPG

8 hours ago, dminches said:

You would probably need a cooling riser so the pipes would clear the ATX connector.  Frankly, I think the risers are better anyway since they increase the surface area and provide for more cooling.

@dminches I think so. Unless the heatsink is very high and clears the top of the ATX connector.

8 hours ago, bobfa said:

Looks to make the case narrower and I like that.  But all the heat is on one side?

@bobfa Yes that is true. I was looking at the Taiko Extreme and thought it may be the way. At least one of the way, arguable more zen in its approach?

What do you think?

6 hours ago, Nenon said:

We need to utilize the heatsinks on both sides. The latest drawing suggests that only one side is used.

I would suggest we install the HDplex 800W DC-ATX standing on the back of the 10mm from panel instead of laying on the bottom plate. This way the case does not have to be so deep. All cables can be run on side like on the HDPlex case. This will ensure shorter cable runs too. 

@NenonThat sound good. With the higher case height due to the full PCI card, this will be easily possible with enough space for the cable turns etc.

3 hours ago, Hauser said:

What attracted me to the Turemetal case was its novel idea of a third heatsink at right angles to the case heatsinks.  In Zerung's latest sketch, this could be placed between the MOBO and PSU.  The benefit of this heatsink is for MOBOs such as the Supermicro X11s where the CPU aligns parallel to the case heatsinks.  The Turemetal idea of linking the heatsinks is also made easier by having the third heatsink.

Martin.

@Hauser Your are right. The third sink is a potential which allows Turemetal users to undertake CUDA offload.I wonder if this should be in our radar?

1.    @zerung

2.    @dminches

3.    @shahed99

4.    @ASRMichael

5.    @gerardiw

6.5  @Nsxturbo

7.5  @adamaley

8.5  @Nenon

9.5   ?

10.5 ?

Possible Wish List.

Capture.JPG

1 hour ago, Dev said:

I have experimented with and without a thermal riser and with a thermal riser, the temps are couple degrees, like 2-4 degrees, lower. Not much but every little contributes.

https://streacom.com/products/ht4-thermal-riser/

The other advantage of a riser is there are many motherboards (like Supermicro X11) that have RAM slots running perpendicular under the heat pipes. Clearance will be an issue without proper height. The higher the pipe sits above the motherboard, the better.

I agree @Dev. We need to have a higher sink. Also the option of sending the pipes to the opposite direction is indeed important and offers the adaptability of the expensive case.

1 hour ago, Hauser said:

Taiko got away with using just one heatsink because its a custom copper one.  The one one the other side of the case matches but is Aluminium.

@Hauser You are right. Which is not within our 'Mortal' design aspirations.

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Without it, I'm uninterested. 

@The Computer Audiophile 100% on board. Why chop off this when this is possible....

Great discussion folks. Please keep it coming, like no tomorrow!

Here is the UPDATED list.

1.    @zerung

2.    @dminches

3.    @shahed99

4.    @ASRMichael

5.    @gerardiw

6.5  @Nsxturbo

7.5  @adamaley

8.5  @Nenon

9.5   @AudioDoctor

10.5 ?

Wish List.

image.png.c7246647add3994913302ee520b6b4b9.png

5 hours ago, ASRMichael said:

double the height? this way we could house a series of options on the 2nd tier?

17 minutes ago, dminches said:

If we are going to design something custom, all aspects of the size should be on the table.

Ultimately it needs to be a consensus.

Based on agreed functionality, pitted against cost.

We also want it to look cool.

We could open this to Turemetal to comment on and cost.

Ultimately we need to design this like Musk

Not Job.

What ever that implies...

😄

@Nenon Our build needs to be as democratic as possible. But a design by consensus may just be that. An acceptance of a base standard, one that I am not necessary supportive of.

You have illustrated your views in a concise manner and I am fully behind this. I also think that there may be some resonance issues too. All power parts (TX in particular) hum, these are sure to have some effect on the motherboard and the parts therein.

But if we are able to have the case just wide enough, then few of the 10 could put what they want in that and rest not. I would personally follow your recommendation and put the regulators inside, possibly clock too.

We are firming up, I feel.

I hope we can have one more show of faith,

Then wish for the 5 people with wavering commitment to tip over.

Lets get this case done - soon!

Incidentally:

1. Turemetal noted that they are fully confident of their TDP design. They have tested their heatsink design to ~280W.

2. They recommend max outer height of 150mm. Cost will be a big issue after that.

3. They want us to give them the internal dimension. Then they can propose the way forward. 

• 2 weeks later...

Folks,

Turemetal is a one man band. He has been very busy, and has pushed us to the back...... He said he will send some drawings last week  and I have been leaving him alone.

Will update when I am given more information.

• 3 weeks later...

So nothing from Truemetal. I have contacted him two weeks ago, when he was still keen. But I have now lost my patience and the interest that kept me going.....

I will consider this thread to be in furlough, possibly dead?

Apologies for the hope!

• 1 month later...

@ASRMichael Let me ask him. If he is still interested, then I will hand this over to one of you..I have moved on to other pastures..