IGNORED

TUREMETAL Case for Dual CPU. EOI

I would definitely be interested subject to some of the prior comments.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

9 hours ago, Nenon said:

I like the UP10 case a lot. Would that include the needed accessories to passively cool down two Xeon CPUs? If he can include that and design mounting space for a hdplex 800W dc to dc convertor, I believe we can easily get 10 people to join.

Probably best if he can put together a simulation/drawing and give us a price. Then we can gather a group of people who are interested and collect a payment before he does the manufacturing. 

And then there is the other thread started by Peter Avgeris, so we have some options. 

@Nenon Yes he will have the full accessories. He will give me some drawings and I will post when available. I have also asked him to look at the extra space for the potential LPS or DC/DC units.

Qnap NAS (LPS) >UA ETHER REGEN (BG7TBL Master Clock) > Grimm MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui /Meridian 808.3> Wavac EC300B >Tannoy Canterbury SE

HP Rig ++ >Woo WES/ > Stax SR-009, Audeze LCD2

Folks.

So Turnmetal is reluctantly to do any drawings. Ironically he cited copyright issues. Reverse ones.

He has said that he can do any reasonable size.

Will include all accessories, heat pipes, sinks, etc.

Then cam the daunting bit, the price.

TM noted that we are not taking about bog standards; 

Or industry mass production, etc..

This was a custom build - implying costly.

He will be able to confirm the price, design (Based on our agreed specs - size),etc. after there is (kind of) a letter of intent and $ advance.

The price will be nearer to $1K USD.

So do I have 9 more people who are interested.

Qnap NAS (LPS) >UA ETHER REGEN (BG7TBL Master Clock) > Grimm MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui /Meridian 808.3> Wavac EC300B >Tannoy Canterbury SE

I am still interested.

My suggestion is that a subset of the interested group hold a discussion among themselves and agree on certain design features (size, cooling, etc.) and then run them by the group.  People like Nenon and some others who have been deeply involved in custom builds and know the limitations of the current available cases should participate.  

One good data point with respect to size would be the Extreme case which we know can hold the Sage mobo with room for power supply components as well.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

27 minutes ago, dminches said:

I am still interested.

My suggestion is that a subset of the interested group hold a discussion among themselves and agree on certain design features (size, cooling, etc.) and then run them by the group.  People like Nenon and some others who have been deeply involved in custom builds and know the limitations of the current available cases should participate.  

One good data point with respect to size would be the Extreme case which we know can hold the Sage mobo with room for power supply components as well.

@dminches, That is a good plan. Lets wait for No. 3 now

@zerung ~ $1k is a lot of money to invest on a chassis. But I'll gladly pay it if some additional criteria are met.

When spending $$$ on a chassis, I'd like it to be a long term investment. Technology is changing really fast. It was unimaginable in the past but AMD is very likely to be releasing their new Zen architecture on 5nm next year. It'd allow an unprecedented number of cores/threads/clock speed/cache size ever seen on desktop PC with power efficiency to boot.

If this custom Chassis is ONLY good for dual CPU SAGE mobo, that would be quite limiting. I'd hope full ATX/E-ATX mobo can also work for future compatibility.

High TDP support is crucial. Most desktop powerful CPU we want has the TDP range between 95W - 105W. However, as can be seen here this TDP figures are often misleading. A 105W TDP Ryzen 3950X can reach up to 144W power consumption. You'd also need some cooling headroom on top of that. Intel's TDP is supposed to be even more misleading.

High temperature causes CPU throttling. Both of which is bad for sound. I know Turemetal has customized their UP10 for 180W TDP. Given all this, it'll be fantastic if the following criteria is met (some already mentioned):

1. SAGE mobo with dual CPU support.

2. Standard full size E/ATX support.

3. Full height PCIE (at least 2).

4. HDPLEX 800W DC-ATX mounting space.

5. Single CPU support that can accommodate at least 180W TDP.

1 hour ago, shahed99 said:

@shahed99 your criteria's make sense. We can start from that. Shall I count you as No. 3 of 10?

13 hours ago, dminches said:

2 hours ago, shahed99 said:

@dminches, @shahed99

So we wait. 3 Musketeers. Looking for the Intrepid 10.

Or. At least @Nenon or similar experts to help facilitate our build and take it from there.

Turnmetal noted that he did not want a design by committee. Which would make it impossible for him to start and end in a structured manner. He wanted us structure ourselves, then discuss with him, a very short feedback loop, then take it home from there. Which made sense to me too.

8 hours ago, ASRMichael said:

I’m in also

@ASRMichael Welcome.

4 out of 10 in!

To provoke some thoughts, discussion. Here are some sketches.

IMG_4394.JPG

IMG_4393.JPG

IMG_4396.JPG

This looks promising.  We need @Nenon and others to chime in.

I’d be interested in something based on Zerung’s drawings that provides adequate passive cooling for 2 <100w LGA3647 processors, full-height PCIe cards and room for a DC/ATX PS. Preferably with a 10mm or thicker front plate option😉

Todd

This is very interesting.  I was looking at Modding the H5 case as @Nenon suggested.  Having room for the HDPLEX800 is really nice.  Being able to scale up with and without it is a nice stepping stone.

I am "almost in", I am still fussing with making the upgrade.  VERY CLOSE.

If the heat pipe cooling does not work how would we cool the CPU's?

Bob

23 hours ago, shahed99 said:

Intel's TDP is supposed to be even more misleading.

It's misunderstood.  Have a look at the section 'Getting Complicated with Turbo' in this article about Intel Comet Lake processors, especially the chart showing the i9-10900K (125W TDP) peaking around 250W.  TDP only tells you what is needed to run at the base frequency.  

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15785/the-intel-comet-lake-review-skylake-we-go-again

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Foremost.

I am embarrassed that I have constantly said TURNMETAL and it is actually TUREMETAL. Lets leave the semantic and the philosophy to another day.

So.

The list is dragging on a bit with understandable inertia. Cost and Specs are either high or unclear.

Here is the list for now.

1. @zerung

2. @dminches

3. @shahed99

4. @ASRMichael

5.5 @Nsxturbo

6.5 @adamaley

7.5 @bobfa

8.5 @Nenon

9.5 ?

10.5 ?

Fencer 5.5 @Nsxturbo

Agree on all your views and also the 10mm plate. I think that is an important bucket list.

Fencer 6.5 @adamaley

Height Fetish. Are we not all. 100% Agree

Fencer 7.5 @bobfa

Bit Fussy.(Understandable). Cooling pipe does not work? Yes. This is an issue. We will need to see what else we can do?

Fencer 8.5 @Nenon

He likes it !

So the early adopters looks very promising. Hope this week we can have 10 and then  move ahead?

Possible Wish List.

Capture.JPG