IGNORED

Master Clock for your EtherREGEN

@DarqueKnight

My BG7BTL from RadioHam arrived too. I had a similar experience to your. 

The inside looks the same:

20210328_204846.thumb.jpg.ab98703b0f53a47aa9a6072b920f1d5c.jpg

And so does the front. I've ask the seller how to know if the outputs are sine or square. Mine looks like your RadioHam unit with three 75 ohm outputs, but also no reference for sine/square.

20210328_205134.thumb.jpg.c07375cc03dccd2e892db869235c3efe.jpg

How do you know which is which?

6 minutes ago, LewinskiH01 said:

@DarqueKnight

My BG7BTL from RadioHam arrived too. I had a similar experience to your. 

How do you know which [output] is which?

The Ham Radio Shop BG7TBLs are advertised as

"75ohm output by BG7TBL 10MHz OCXO FREQUENCY STANDARD 3 channel square wave clock Master Clock for your EtherREGEN"

Therefore all three of the outputs should be square wave. The only way to know for sure is to attach the outputs to an oscilloscope (which is what I did).

The BG7TBL I purchased drom TZT shop had, per my request, going from left to right:

Output 1 - 75 Ohm Square

Output 2 - 75 Ohm Sine

Outout 3 - 50 Ohm Sine

10 hours ago, Clockmeister said:

Hello PYP

I also have a Cybershaft 21A (with a significantly improved power supply and internal upgradess I use in one of the smaller demo systems), I have found that cable selections with the vast majority of these clocks can deliver quite surprising results from both very  beneficial to piss poor.

For some time I used a genuine RF reference cable (18Ghz BW) using T-Flex 405 very good indeed besting many multi $K audiophile cables.Cost is around $200 dollars for 3 feet un-termiated . Happily use them in my lab for sub 6G work. For audio now I use a different cable, it doesn't quite match that cable for insertion loss or overshot, however it sounds superior without question. The downside is cost. However for you guys try something similar you maybe surprised.

My other issue is I require 68 clock cables for the studio/lab and music systems so I have tried one or two different cables over the years

I have found a huge difference among the bnc cables when used between DCS Rossini DAC and DCS clock, so the notion of a cable “cease  to matter” with a use of a filter goes against my  hearing experience, however I will try as advised in the John’s paper. But would you share which cable you have found to sound best for your studio? 

Emm Labs NS1, Emm Labs DV2, Trusov AMP ( AB class 400 watt into 8 ohm), Vandersteen 5a Carbon, Dyrholm Vision series cables XLR and power cords, meitner speaker cables,  etheregen, 2* Farad super3 with purple SR fuses, AfterDark double Crown, RAL RJ45

Maybe it’s possible to build your own OCXO. 
https://eprints.whiterose.ac.uk/141563/1/08540461.pdf

VII. CONCLUSIONS
It is shown that oscillators with the excellent phase noise performance can be built using relatively simple but highly accurate linear theories and these can be implemented using a modular approach to oscillator designs, utilizing transformer coupled differential amplifiers, a three-element filter, and high-pass phase shifter designs.
Further improvements in the longer term phase noise per- formance are expected through the improved and optimized temperature stabilization of the resonator at turnover temper- ature (82 °C). Certain types of components have been found to be more effective in keeping the phase noise low.

A2859739-FC8B-4325-ACF1-4A35F711E73C.jpeg

3 hours ago, Rasputin said:

I have found a huge difference among the bnc cables when used between DCS Rossini DAC and DCS clock, so the notion of a cable “cease  to matter” with a use of a filter goes against my  hearing experience, however I will try as advised in the John’s paper. But would you share which cable you have found to sound best for your studio? 

Hello Rasputin

We have a great many clients with DCS Vivaldi stacks as we affectionate call them and all of our customers use an aftermarket reference clock to 'time' the DCS Vivaldi clock.

A fair few use Transparent Opus BNC cables, others swear buy Crystal Cables  Absolute dream 75 Ohm bnc cables.

While other use an self constructed RG45 derivative.

Reality is somewhat stranger than fiction with audio, beware those bearing audio gifts, all that glitters is usually poor sounding equipment contained within over engineered and nice looking cases with an equally impressive price tag to match.

Areospace & Audio designs with a retail outlet Musical Coherence

3 hours ago, DarqueKnight said:

I placed an order by phone for the Mini-Circuits BLP-10.7+ 50 Ohm and BLP-10.7-75+ 75 Ohm filters.

538004510_Mini-CircuitsFilterOrder03-29-21-s.thumb.jpg.8c2ebb214b2df562b927b66c6b115306.jpg

I’m very interested in your experience with the filters when you get them, hope you will share.

Emm Labs NS1, Emm Labs DV2, Trusov AMP ( AB class 400 watt into 8 ohm), Vandersteen 5a Carbon, Dyrholm Vision series cables XLR and power cords, meitner speaker cables,  etheregen, 2* Farad super3 with purple SR fuses, AfterDark double Crown, RAL RJ45

for those who like their waves square, how do these specs look?  Just curious since I like my waves sine.  

Impedance 75+/-3 Ohm
Capacitance 52+/-3 pF/M
Attenuation
20 degree C
5MHz 0.80 dB/100m
10MHz 1.20dB/100m 
50MHz 3.20 dB/100m 
100MHz 5.40 dB/100m 
200MHz 6.50 dB/100m
300MHz 8.50 dB/100m
470MHz 11.00dB/100m 
600MHz 13.50 dB/100m 
1000MHz 16.40 dB/100m

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

8 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

@PYP

That’s not phase noise numbers ?

Are you trying to find good cables for a square clock ?

I was unclear:  the table contains specs for a digital cable.  Personally, since my clock outputs a sine wave, I'm not interested, but thought others who use square wave output might be.  This is  a Townshend Audio cable.  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

2 hours ago, R1200CL said:

I think he didn’t give you 1Hz. 
I think anything below 10Hz -130dBc/Hz may not worth the effort. 

Cost of Pang starts at?

Thinking I’ll stay safe, as per JS paper, & go with an ADark Giesemann sine + filter;

& stay frugal, well relatively, as befits the original purchase ... maybe the King, which specs above 130.

It doesn’t matter, but they have a 75ohm option?

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

4 hours ago, R1200CL said:

This is a “native” square wave clock. 
How come the data sheet can list phase noise, when phase noise is only available on sine ?

http://www.analysir.com/downloads/isotemp ocxo 131 10MHz.pdf

Phase noise is a property of any periodic signal, sine or square or in between. There seems to be some misunderstanding of what phase noise is.

Here is a nice easy to understand article on it. (note in this article it specifically covers phase noise of square waves):

https://blog.bliley.com/ultimate-guide-to-phase-noise

John S.

As always interesting thoughts on this subject, we are fortunate our test equipment aelection includes one if these devices  which is awfully useful in this area of high frequency phase measurements

https://www.holzworth.com/products/phase-noise-analyzers/ha7062c

Genuine REAL world ultra low noise phase clocks that are really -120 @ 1Hz and have long term stability and those that do will have an oven or the very top oscillators will have a double oven possibly 

Keep up the debate chaps great stuff.

Reality is somewhat stranger than fiction with audio, beware those bearing audio gifts, all that glitters is usually poor sounding equipment contained within over engineered and nice looking cases with an equally impressive price tag to match.

Areospace & Audio designs with a retail outlet Musical Coherence

20 hours ago, Clockmeister said:

Genuine REAL world ultra low noise phase clocks that are really -120 @ 1Hz and have long term stability and those that do will have an oven or the very top oscillators will have a double oven possibly.

Aren't those double-ovens more for long term frequency stability and not so much for the benefit of phase-noise?

By the way, while that Holzworth looks like a nice machine (about $40K), it seems the less than half the price Jackson Labs PhaseStation (by John Miles of TimePod fame) which John bought last year has a much lower phase-noise measurement floor at low offsets 1Hz~10Hz):

http://www.jackson-labs.com/assets/uploads/main/53100A_introduction_1pg_revF.pdf 

https://www.holzworth.com/Portals/0/HA7062C_Web_Datasheet.pdf

Good chance your machine runs the cross-correlations faster though. :D

Cheers to you David,

--Alex C.

2 hours ago, jamesg11 said:

Cost of Pang starts at?

Thinking I’ll stay safe, as per JS paper, & go with an ADark Giesemann sine + filter;

& stay frugal, well relatively, as befits the original purchase ... maybe the King, which specs above 130.

It doesn’t matter, but they have a 75ohm option?

$895.00 US

@AfterDark.

Isn’t you doing some heat isolation on your clocks ?

Like to explain ? Anyone looking inside your clock should be available to see this.

• OCXO is enclosed and covered with Dynamat Extreme Corporation (Made in USA) which is used to stabilize and minimize heat separation,  addition EMI material from KEMET EMI Shielding is placed on top of OCXO,  the outer layer is covered with real leather to isolate the heat factors for maximizing OCXO performance .