IGNORED

Master Clock for your EtherREGEN

Phase noise measurement and Allan Derivation can shows how good is the OCXO for audio equipment.

Amp: Goldmund 27+ EVO Preamp, Goldmund 29M Power Amp, Goldmund AC-Curator

DAC: CH Precision C1.1 Digital Convertor,  Studer D19 DAC, Wadia 2000 DAC

Digital: Mutec MC3-USB,  AfterDark. Giesemann OCXO 10M Master Clock Giesemann EVA 

Playback: Goldmund PH3 Phono Amp, Linn LP12, Studer A807 VU MKII Open Reel

Network Switch:  AFTERDARK. PROJECT CLAYX BUFFALO BS-GS2016 CASCADE X GIESEMANN OCXO BLACK MODERNIZE EDITION x Farad Super3 LPS

Dealer: UpTone Audio, Gustard, Farad Power Supply, Cybershaft, Thixar, DELA

For 10M clock, we agreed with Alex that, the good OCXO Clock should be at least above -130dBc at 10Hz & -107dBc at 1Hz

The reference point is on -125dBc/Hz @10Hz is about what it takes for a 10Mhz clock to audibly surpass the EtherREGEN's. 

The OCXO performance can further tested by phase noise @ 1Hz and Allan Derivation which indicate short-term stability with respect to time (1s) 

1232030369_PhaseNoise-113.thumb.png.f7fb33731dd93add3845554ee24e29c0.png

For example, the above Phase Noise graph is measured by Symmetricom 5125A is showing phase noise of the OCXO clock is -140dBc@10Hz / -113dBC@1Hz. 

Digital: Mutec MC3-USB,  AfterDark. Giesemann OCXO 10M Master Clock Giesemann EVA 

Network Switch:  AFTERDARK. PROJECT CLAYX BUFFALO BS-GS2016 CASCADE X GIESEMANN OCXO BLACK MODERNIZE EDITION x Farad Super3 LPS

Yes, square wave version can be made too. The above example is mid-range model. 

The quality of OCXO clock is always on the sine wave - original version, it is because the square wave version is re-generated by sine wave with some jitter on re-generation, so in general the very good quality OCXO can only be found on the original form as sine wave version. 

When measured the phase noise with Symmetricom 5125A on sine wave OCXO, it can measure directly on the output BNC.

However, the phase noise cannot be direct measured by Symmetricom 5125A on square wave version, as it was re-generated by sine wave, it adds up fews unknown factors, so the phase noise measure cannot be performed directly on the output BNC.  

Therefore, some Audiophiles may prefers sine wave to square wave, as it can gives out more natural and laid back sounding, due to reduce Phase Noise and Allan Derivation which may caused by the conversion process from sine to square wave.

The square wave is better choice when the cable exceeding 3 meters, as the power / loading on square wave is higher compare to OCXO with sine wave. 

In addition, using the better quality BNC clock cable will improve the sounding on most system, as the better the cable, the less reflection inside.  

Hi Ambre,

The square wave version can be made for Giesemann.

The above graph is from the mid-range is Emperor CROWN.

Square & Wave is working well with EtherREGEN, but they are different sounding

We suggest to use quality OCXO which around the price range vs EtherREGEN. 

Dear GMG,

1. All model is 50ohm, adaptor to 75ohm can be bundle for members.

2. This one is the linear power supply to power up the Giesemann.

3. Dual 12V DC outputs. 

The lower the phase noise (more negative), the better the OCXO Clock can performed.  

The adapter is a matching adaptor made by Cybershaft , we sold a unit of EtherREGEN to them, and they have perform testing when this adapter was plug into 75ohm EtherREGEN,  it work well and no performance issue. 

The external LPS and mu metal will reduce the interference on the electronic device etc is applied to enhance the environment on electronic device so that it run in optimal status.

OCXO is stand for Oven Controlled Crystal (Xtal) Oscillator, which required to work in heated temperature, Power consumption for OCXOs is of course higher during start-up/warm-up periods, once OCXO is Warm-up and Steady-state, the power consumption will decrease.

So, this is always benefit to prevent heat loss and caused the OVEN start up again. Therefore, the use of heat isolation and sound isolation which seal up the air on OCXO can prevent heat loss, and it can act as shock adsorbent to reduce the impact when we playing music. So it is the ideas behind on isolation on heat / EMI noise/ vibration, to provide the optimal stage. 

This tweak can apply on RAM/ USB port/ Lan port which help to improve sounding on ROON Server too. 

This is called SMA connector. The recommended cable is HUBER+SUHNER SMA Shielding (Made in Swiss) thumbnail_image0_48caec5a-57ba-44ba-8813-77e8e532eebd_2048x.thumb.jpg.94f533b415c3f855ae9264e739374f52.jpg

2 hours ago, R1200CL said:

One interesting observation is that the clocks we get from Ham is sine wave that’s converted to square wave. At least that’s my understanding. 

So I’m asking myself why he isn’t using pure square wave clocks ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MORION-OCXO-MV102-10MHz-squarewave-Crystal-Oscillator-12V-EFC/143856696386?hash=item217e86fc42:g:vp8AAOSwkz1eYVRS

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DAPU-O55F-ASDD-10MHz-OCXO-Crystal-Oscillator-12V-EFC/143045716607?epid=28026910829&hash=item214e306a7f:g:a8YAAOSwW4hceKjd

Maybe something to ask Ham about. 
(I just tried via eBay). 

Maybe data sheet will indicate that sine version is better ?

The quality of clock is determinate by Phase Noise and Allan Derivation on frequency accuracy, which can measured on sine wave. We cannot measure the phase noise with square wave peak, it is just too broad. 

We suggested to get a better performance of sine wave OCXO clock, it is because if lousy sine to square wave convertor, it makes worse sound. 

It is much easier to convert sine wave to square wave by simple amplify the sine wave and limit the peaks to get the square wave. 

The EtherREGEN and Mutec MC3-USB can accept the sine wave because of build in convertor, so they can accept both square and sine wave without compatible or performance issue.  

39 minutes ago, renan said:

Hi Ponkbutler,

Got time to make some testing on DCS Network bridge, Etheregen and Mutec Ref10 but unfortunately not all together since the post office was retaining my Mutec while I had the ehterregen home for an aftenoon.

So I have this clock

https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/4001307541392.html?src=google&albch=shopping&acnt=248-630-5778&isdl=y&slnk=&plac=&mtctp=&albbt=Google_7_shopping&aff_platform=google&aff_short_key=UneMJZVf&&albagn=888888&isSmbAutoCall=false&needSmbHouyi=false&albcp=10191220526&albag=107473525328&trgt=709881906465&crea=fr4001307541392&netw=u&device=c&albpg=709881906465&albpd=fr4001307541392&gclid=CjwKCAiAxp-ABhALEiwAXm6IyX36yrH6JfiPDW4KCWrkR07Xp9S6x_cllUR7XFUAgOK6ULVE3QMxmBoChbgQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

which is quite different from the one from Martin T since it is suppose to replace a Mutec Mc3 Smart clock allowing output at 44 and 48Hzs multiple.

Now I have an aqvox se and a friend bring me an etheregen for an afternoon. 

Results of the listening. Yes the Fos-3 clock (mine is not DAPU bue FE-180) improve the listening on etheregen. Surprisingly clocking both Etherregen and  DCS Network bridge was not very good. The clock on only one apparatus is better. May be a pb of impedance adaptation  between them??

3 days after while I have no more the etheregen I receive my Mutec Ref10. So the only comparison i've done was Fe-180 clock providing 10MHz and 44KHzs vs Mutec ref10 providing 10MHzs in the aliexpress clock on my DCS Network bridge. There is a huge difference and sound improvement by adding the Ref10. No a 20 times improvement like the difference in price but let say a "3"times improvement if i have to quantify. Much more impact for low frequency that I did not feel with the FE-180 and more air than with FE-180.

Well to say it the FE-180 is a very good improvmeent but the Ref10 is even better. This will not surprise a lot of people.

Just one question left does my aliexpress clock is a real "same quality "replacement for the Mutec MC3 smart clock or not??

With the aliexpress clock, it actually sounded worse in Mutec MC3-USB than the plain (without the aliexpress clock). The sound is congested towards the middle with narrower width. Mid image came forward. Details become messy (using selectable square wave). If choose sine wave, it is smoother but lacked dynamic range. 

There is no comparison vs Mutec Ref10. 

53 minutes ago, renan said:

So you think the clock in the MC3-USB is better then the DAPU ocxo clock or its implementation. 

Mutec MC3-USB is very sensitive to quality OCXO clock, on the other way, it require better performance/quality clock to perform well in related to the re-clock functions for 10M Optimization. When tested with classical music, it will show the differences and improvement when you use the high quality OCXO. So, it is worth to have better OCXO for Mutec MC3-USB, to match the price range to work with. 

We have perform varies test against most of the OCXO clock in the market, so we suggested to get the Phase Noise graph @1Hz & @10Hz (reference points) and Allan Derivation measurement when comparing high quality OCXO. It can shows the performance in written form.  

15 minutes ago, GMG said:

Thanks a lot for the detailed answer

just to to make sure I understood, the Mutec can only output word clock but can’t output a master clock. It can’t distribute the input of a master 10MHz, it can only use the 10MHz to improve the distribution of the word clock?

so if I have a single output from a 10MHz master clock I can use it to feed both ER and Mutec. Is that right? (I thought maybe the clock could go into Mutec and then out of the Mutec to the ER)

Yes, there is a transformer type 10M distributor adaptor made by Cybershaft. This adaptor can make make 2 outputs of 10M signal. So that you can use them on EtherREGEN and Mutec MC3-USB with the same 10M Clock. 

2ds01_2048x.jpg.bf085c6d7456d0b769fd5d5cc5a3fc14.jpg

20 minutes ago, GMG said:

Thanks. 
interesting. 
but I would assume such a splitter might degrade some of the performance? Maybe increase a bit the phase distortion?

or is this similar to what would be implement internally in a clock with multiple outputs ?

Since it is a transformer type, it can be distributed with almost no deterioration in clock quality.

The adaptor was certified with measuring the SWR for each unit and checking the characteristics.

1 hour ago, R1200CL said:

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/57686-the-etherregen-thread-for-various-network-cable-power-experiences-and-experiments/?do=findComment&comment=1104439

I’m also using a converter (Singxer SU1). I’m hoping one of products John is developing is a ethernet to SPDIF converter. Or at least a USB to SPDIF converter. Both with external clock input. 
Also, if a new version of opticalRendu is coming, I would expect it would have external clock input. 
(Or a Rendu with SPDIF AES/EBU out).

In any case I see a need for a clock with isolated outputs or several clocks. Minimum 2, possible 3 outputs. Square wave. 
And it may be nice if such a clock could use 7V input, so the LPS 1 can be used.

So I’m waiting to see what products will come, hopefully during 2021, and then maybe upgrade my clock. 
AfterDark’s clocks seems to be best option. I just hope a new version can be made later this year.

Hi! R1200CL,

Last week, we designed and build a 3 outputs model for you. They are all isolated, 10M Master out with Square Wave @75ohm. The linear power supply will be build in for this combo outputs version. 

The new model with specification will be released later next week. Therefore, the 10M clock can connected to UpTone EtherREGEN, Mutec MC3-USB, or one additional device at the same time. 

14 hours ago, R1200CL said:

I understand this is the Crown model. Is the measurement done with or without your external LPS ?

How will the measurement change if an LPS 1.2 change the result ?

Looking at a double Crown, I noticed the phase noise at 1Hz change most. 
How important is this number ?

To move from 140 at 10Hz to 145 at top model seems quite expensive. But moving from 113 to 117 in double crown at 1Hz doesn’t drive the price to much, so this is why I’m interested in understanding the importance of these numbers. Top model maxes out at 121. 

Hello! R1200CL,

The measurement is made without the external LPS. It was done with Symmetricom 5125A for plotting on Phase Noise and Allan Derivation. So, powered with UpTone LPS1.2 or JS-2, it will perform even better. 

The phase noise at 1Hz and 10Hz is reference point to show the trend or slope of the plot. This two number can distinguish how goods is the OCXO can perform on Audio. The trend of plot between 1Hz and 10Hz is also important to distinguish the quality of the OCXO too. 

The top quality OCXO for example, will have very low value of -121dBC@1Hz and -142dBC@10Hz.  

We found that at 1Hz, to achieve phase noise -121dBC,  is much harder to achieve. So, this is one of the most important point. 

Another measurement for excellent OCXO is the value of Allan Derivation. 

The Allan Derivation is intended to estimate short term stability due to noise processes and not that of systematic errors or imperfections such as frequency drift or temperature effects.

The Allan Deviation describe frequency stability. It takes measurement of 1s as reference point as below:  

1336687126_AllanDeviation2.38E13.thumb.jpg.a2cfb2410f7e87d18eb6fade243d8f27.jpg

For example, the lower the Allan Deviation at 1s =2.38xE-13, the better the OCXO can perform for Audio application. 

1 hour ago, R1200CL said:

@AfterDark.

Do you like us to create a new tread discussing your clocks ?

Especially the new version developed and a possible group buy. 

That is good idea. I am willing to paid for the subscription fees for audiophilestyle.com

2 hours ago, Superdad said:

Hi Adrian:

You do not have to pay any subscription fees in order to create a new topic on Audiophile Style.  It is a pubic forum.

However:

a) You are not permitted to make promotional posts about your products--unless you pay $3K/year to establish an entire Sponsored Forum area. Such would be at equal level to this UpTone Audio sponsored forum area.

b) If you do wish to make a modest post--or reply with answers to questions in a new thread about AfterDark clocks that someone else might start--you can do so. But I request that such a topic start in a forum other than the UpTone sponsored area. That way there is no appearance of conflict or about my allowing or not allowing you to promote--and I do not have to be moderator.  Audiophile Style site owner @The Computer Audiophile would the be the only moderator of what you can post in such a thread.

Thank you for understanding.

--Alex C.

Hi! Alex,

Thanks for your information. We are establishing a Sponsored Forum with Chris now. 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, PYP said:

The manual for the Cybershaft recommends:

Best:  75 ohm output > 75 ohm cable > 75 ohm input (audio equipment)   And the same works for 50 ohm across the chain

Second best:  50 ohm output > 75 ohm cable > 75 ohm input (audio equipment) OR

50 ohm output > 50 ohm cable > 75 ohm input (audio equipment)

But avoid:  75 ohm output > 50 ohm cable > 50 ohm input (audio equipment)

Hello! PYP,

For matching the impedances for 50ohm to 75ohm, we recommend to use Cybershaft 50ohm matching device for this. This is certified to work with EtherREGEN 75ohm edition.

Best Regards,

Adrian

AfterDark.

影像預覽

影像預覽

55 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

Do you know the phase noise numbers from Denafrips ?

Reason i out ruled Denafrips DDC, was lack of external input clock. SU-2 is what I’m planning for.

But maybe you own a Denafrips Terminator DAC already, if not it doesn’t make any sense I would say. 
The clock inputs of those DCC is not 10 MHz. 

The Denafrips GAIA is sync with the special rate at 49.152MHz and 45.1548MHz non-standard signal designed to operated only for their Denafrips Terminator Plus, this requires two clock cable to works with. So, the Denafrips GAIA cannot output 10M Master Clock. So, it is designed for their Denafrips products and not compatible with product with 10M Master Input.  

The phase noise and Allan Derivation for GAIA was not disclosed, so cannot indicate how good is the OCXO perform inside. 

When we compare with other excellent product - The Merging Clock will disclose the specification on OCXO, the output format, Phase Noise, Allan Derivations (Short Term Stability).  For the output format of Merging Clock is in 50ohm Sine Wave at 7dBm.

1845122588_Screenshot2021-03-09at8_46_32PM.thumb.png.757c5244336633056ab91280a90a1fef.png

4 hours ago, soares said:

Very timely and appreciated some of the questions you have shared by many of us including me. Just a point of clarification on the AfterDark clock. From what I understand following a reply from Adrian he can make a customized version of every clock with a 75ohm output. 

Hi! Soares,

We are making this happen, we are planning to release a new option on 75ohm only for Emperor Double Crown version at the moment.  

Thanks for your interested.

Best Regards,

Adrian

AfterDark. 

On 3/11/2021 at 10:59 PM, LowMidHigh said:

As PYP alluded, you're better off with LP-1.2 x 2 (if the LP-1.2 has the oomph to power the AfterDark).

Hi! LowMidHigh,

LPS1.2 is sufficient to power the Giesemann. Normal operating use around 0.5A only, max for power up around 0.8-1.0A.

Best Regards,

Adrian 

AfterDark.