IGNORED

Master Clock for your EtherREGEN

I've read this thread with great interest and a couple of weeks ago ordered EtherRegen specific 75Ohm clock from Ali Express. 

Awaiting delivery, but hope it arrives before Christmas! I am starting to get together everything I'll need for when it arrives. 

Tungsten block has arrived, purpose cut bamboo platform has arrived. I'm exploring LPS options at the moment.

With regard to cabling between the clock and the EtherRegen, I realise that it is of paramount importance, but wonder how far I should push the law of diminishing returns. 

The clock will sit right next to the EtherRegen (albeit on seperate platforms) so I don't need a long cable. 

I have around 20cm / 200mm of 75 Ohm pure silver Oyade coax in my parts box (leftover from a longer RCA>RCA coax cable I made), should I finish it off with some generic/lowcost BNC's, or is it worth spending the extra for some 75 Ohm pure silver Oyade BNC connecters  - I'm not against spending it if it'll make a difference, but aware the connectors and cable end up being a lot more expensive that the clock itself 🤷‍♂️

Be great to see what the hive mind thinks. 

Thanks in advance, and thoroughly enjoyed the thread so far!

I'm gonna go get the papers, get the papers.

>> CLICK FOR SYSTEM SETUP << 

My clock unit arrived this morning.

I've tried looking up the datasheet for the OCXO but I'm not having any luck.

I've attached and image, if someone knows anything about it I'd appreciate the input. 

On 11/28/2020 at 7:33 PM, MartinT said:

I think you should definitely use the Oyaide cable you have. 20cm is very short, the cable might be quite stiff so hopefully you'll be able to 'dress' it adequately (my 30cm Canares only just bend without unduly stressing the components). Connectors should match the cable, although the Neutriks are good connectors and not too pricy.

Get used to the sound first and then try the Tungsten separately. I look forward to your findings.

I've ordered the Oyaide connectors to match the cable. They were a little pricey at £86, but saw them reduced from £130 so thought why not. They arrive tomorrow and I'll make up the cable and try without the Tungsten block for a week. 

On 12/1/2020 at 10:25 PM, sgr said:

Hi,

I’m wondering about your bamboo rack. I need something like that perhaps. Could you send picture or post and thread for where you bought it?

Thanks,

Steven

I order custom sized bamboo boards for all of my components from www.hm-wood-shop.co.uk . 

I believe it is actually a Norwegian company so perhaps there is a subsidiary in mainland Europe too. 

Each component sits on 3x wooden cones.

Those cones sit on a cut bamboo board.

Those boards sit on 3x small rubber cones. 

Those have their place within an overall shelving unit.

The overall unit isn't a hifi rack unfortunately, but a modified ikea unit. I live in a London flat where floorspace is at a premium, and since everything is in our living room, it also needs to be signed off by the aesthetics committe (my gf). 

I've found it all works as well as it can for the constraints that I'm operating within.

Will upload an image later this evening when I'm home.

IMG_0573.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

Having seen the big sonic boost provided by 1st the external clock, second the tungsten block, 3rd an isolation platform, and 4th making a 20cm clock cable from solid silver Oyaide 75ohm cable and solid silver Oyaide 75ohm BNC connectors, I'm waiting on my Longdog Audio LPS arriving, which I'm sure will give another big uptake. Thanks for all the advice everyone has given here; i'm a year or so down the rabbit hole of the hobby, and still very much learning on the technical side.

With that in mind, if my clock-fed EtherRegen is feeding my UltraRendu a very good signal, and the UltraRendu is feeding my DAC over only 0.5m on a good USB cable, will a device that reclocks the signal again (like an iFi iPower USB or an ISORegen) do more harm than good?

(This is not an X brand vs Y brand question, it is about me trying to understand the clocking concept more generally). 

Thanks in advance all!

4 hours ago, jean-michel6 said:

Have you compared your homemade Oyaide clock cable to any other cable ? 

Hi Jean-Michel,

I started with this Enoaudio cable

It uses 50cm of Mogami 2964 and Canare BCP-A3F connectors. 

It seemed totally fine to be honest, and I wouldn't have thought too much about the Oyaide cable unless I'd noticed the spare 30cm piece of cut-off I had in my parts box (leftover from making an RCA-RCA Coax).

The Oyaide cable is only available in 100cm lengths (I believe), and is around £100 per 1m. I wouldn't have went out and bought 100cm just to make the clock cable, so it was fortuitous that I had it spare. 

I then managed to find the Oyaide SLSB BNC connectors discounted to £90 (normally £110-£140 depending on supplier) so thought it was worth exploring. 

The pro-rata costs of the cable plus the connectors bring the finished clock cable in at around £120, which is more than I paid for the master clock itself, and is 4x more expensive than the Enoaudio cable I purchased, and more than some of the other cables recommended in this thread. 

Is the Oyaide DIY cable 4x better than the Enoaudio cable. No, not in such absolute terms. 

There is a clearly audible improvement in sound quality, but it is not '4x' better. 

Was the £90 for the connectors worth it given I already had the spare length of cable around?

To me, yes. I think the enjoyment of experimenting, of assembling/modifying another piece of my system myself, and the sonic improvements all add up to being worth the extra £90 vs the ready bought cable. 

There is a small improvement in dynamics, the background is darker, and everything just seems a little more 'in it's place' with the home made cable. 

(The improvement could even be because the cable is shorter, or better screened, it may not be anything to do with the better silver core and silver connectors; I just know it's better to my ears. )

As mentioned, I'm waiting on my linear power supply arriving, so will try both cables again once that has had some time to settle; the lps may make differences in the clock cables more easily identifiable. 

G