IGNORED

Master Clock for your EtherREGEN

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10MHz-Reference-OCXO-Frequency-Standard-Sine-Wave-Square-Wave-For-EtherREGEN/284044913347?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Is there any issue with ordering this one? Other than the 1 square 2 sine wave outputs. Have just messaged the seller to ask if it is 50ohm or 75ohm. 

I've no experience with using external clocks, so just gg to experiment with the ER first, and if it's a good improvement, I may send my sotm streamer in to get a clock input installed. 

By the way, has anyone tried the Paul Pang clock? 

17 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

Please purchase the link previously suggested on Aliexpress.

Is there any reason not to ?

Edit

Are you sure SoTM is using sinus ?

From sotm site :

Frequency : 10.000MHz sine wave
  Output level : 13dBm(2.825Vp-p@50Ω), ±2dBm
  All isolated clock output
  Output connector
    50Ω BNC connector x 4
    Optional 75Ω BNC connector available

• 2 weeks later...

I've just sent my sotm sms-200ultraneo back to sotm to install a 75ohm clock input. 

With regards to the clock cables.. I have that Geistnote Apogee one from amazon, and another from Ghent Audio (I think the cheap belden one). 

Has anyone tried pricier options? I've read on some forums that basically any 75ohm digital coaxial cable with bnc plugs work as clock cables as well. 

• 2 weeks later...

Got a bit confused and am confusing myself further.. Am I shorting any moat by doing the following? 

EtherRegen powered by Farad Super 3

Clock to ER powered by Keces P8 output 1

Lan cable to.. 

Sotm streamer powered by another Super 3

Another clock to SOtM powered by Keces P8 output 2

Essentially the concern is with the Keces P8 powering both clocks. Or is there nothing to be concerned about with regards to the moat. 

On 31/01/2021 at 8:05 AM, Roasty said:

Got a bit confused and am confusing myself further.. Am I shorting any moat by doing the following? 

EtherRegen powered by Farad Super 3

Clock to ER powered by Keces P8 output 1

Lan cable to.. 

Sotm streamer powered by another Super 3

Another clock to SOtM powered by Keces P8 output 2

Essentially the concern is with the Keces P8 powering both clocks. Or is there nothing to be concerned about with regards to the moat. 

Can anyone help me out? 

Before I place the order for the Keces P8. 

20 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

Cost ?

Edit found it. 
https://www.kempelektroniksshop.nl/keces-audio-p8-ultra-low-noise-linear-power-supply.html

Edit2

Why not go JS-2 then ?

Edit3

The principles is every device has its own PS and clock. 
Numerous exceptions may exist. 
Do you already have a Farad or ?

I've had the Keces P8 before (19v for use with Intel NUC8i7BEH) but sold it a while back. I quite like the form factor and aesthetics (black chassis). 

I just intend to use it to power two clocks (from Aliexpress and AfterDark). I do have farad super 3 (for my other peripherals) but I don't want to spend that amount ie two more super 3 units.. 

Another option is to just get the AfterDark lps units which are quite well priced. 

2 minutes ago, James Stephens said:

Hello there,

It depends what way round your Etheregen is connected. If you have the Lan Cable on the B (Clock) side going to the SoTM streamer then you are ok. 

Oh perfect! Thanks very much. Yes, B side lan cable to SOtM streamer. Cheers! 

14 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

If your serious about purchasing a Keces, which look very beautiful with that display, I would suggest you do some private emails with Alex first and discuss a JS-2 purchase. 
Also not fully understand your whole system, there may be possibilities to move power supplies around in order to make sure no moat is broken. All this can Alex help you with out in an email exchange. 

I have no idea how good the Keyes is, and never heard about it, but those displays etc is adding up to the cost and not the SQ. Also just to bring in another very good PS is the Paul Hynes ones. But I understand you’re after a dual PS output.

Further it seems your budget allows for one AfterDark PS plus’s either of the following 

LPS 1.2 (Here is a cheap one). 

Farad

SR4T

That is opening up for more flexibility.  Just saying. 

No prob. Main reason for wanting to get the Keces P8 again is form factor, reliable, tried and tested, local distributor. 

My system chain is as follows:

SOtM sNH-10g (farad super 3)

Fiber 

EtherRegen (farad super 3) + aliexpress clock 

Lan cable

SOtM sMS-200Ultra Neo (farad super 3) + AfterDark clock 

Usb cable 

Innuos phoenix

Usb cable

Singxer SU-6 (farad super 3)

HDMI i2s

Rockna Wavelight 

• 1 month later...

Notes_210307_092219.thumb.jpg.ba4bfdbf3bc93369f529b92379b99b4b.jpg

Am I shorting anything or screwing up isolation with this setup? 

One AfterDark clock to ER and a second AfterDark clock to an sotm streamer. 

Keces P8 lps supplying 2 AfterDark clocks. Is that OK? Or should it be separate power supplies to each clock? 

13 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

Hi @Roasty

Your question needs a proper answer as you have posted a sketch. A sketch should be a requirement in my opinion from now on. 

I must say I’m not 100% sure, but I think you’re braking isolation by this setup. 

I haven’t studied previous similar questions and answer from John and Alex before, but maybe same PS to the EtherRegen and one clock will keep the EtherRegen still functioning as intended. (If going from A to B only). If that can be said as a general rule, it may be helpful to many. 

Also I think your sketch is missing how you’re powering the SMS-200. But I assume it’s a separate PS of cause b

Drawing the sketch like turning the ER 180 degrees helps. And showing power is applied on A side. Good that you use different colors. 

You can split power from the Farad if it’s more convenient. Ghent supplies split DC cables. 

Another interesting twist here is how about only using one clock and a spitter. Yes that will also break the isolation, but if your single clock was powered by an Uptone LPS 1.2. Wouldn’t that preserve isolation ?

Thanks for chiming in! 

For the ER, does the clock input reside on the A side or B side? 

If it is on B side, and both clocks are powered by the same lps, and second clock goes to sotm which is on the downstream of the ER, then I'm thinking it shouldn't short the moat? 

I liked the Apogee Wyde Eye too. To me, it was better than the Ghent Audio Belden. 

Someone lent me his Black Cat Tron bnc cable and for some reason, I didn't think much of it, or perhaps my system was not up to par to make the most of that high priced cable. 

However, have since changed all my bnc clock cables to custom VH Audio Pulsar Ag + Oyaide bnc plugs.