IGNORED

Master Clock for your EtherREGEN

I just my BG7TBL from China and also got the Canare LV-77S 75ohm BNC to BNC Interconnect Cable to use with my etherRegen. The music is enhanced as others are describing. 

A month ago I was lucky to got to test another master clock from a known company that is build around the Pink Faun Ultra OCXO Clock. With the clock I got two digital cables to try with the clock. One, an ordinary, like the Canare LV-77S, and one more expensive, a Pink Faun Digital interlink BNC for $800. I was astound how big the difference of the sound (music) was between the two cables. The Pink Faun Digital interlink BNC was just so much better.

So with that in mind I bought a Chord Epic Digital (1 Meter, BNC -  BNC) for $590. This cable makes a big uplift in sound in all aspects compared to the Canare LV-77S. Now you can always discuss how can one buy a digital cable that cost nearly 6 times more than the clock. 

2 hours ago, GMG said:

I'm learning a lot about cables from this thread,

I am wondering why none of the known audiophile cable brands have made their way into the discussion?

Are the audio 75Ohm BNC SPDIF cables not suitable for this application?

I don't know if you think that the Chord Epic Digital BNC cable for $590 is audiophile cable. I use that one with a very good result. I have also tried the Pink Faun Digital interlink BNC for $800. But I thought the price could not be justified over the Chord Epic Digital.

3 hours ago, jean-michel6 said:

A big thank’s to @MartinTfor bringing this master clock for the etherregen.

I order mine 2 weeks ago and it arrived yesterday, I also received the canare LV77s digital cable .

It has inside the FE-180 clock :-)

I did try it this afternoon on my system and I am really happy with the nice sound quality improvement that it does bring : better image , tighter bass , and more natural voices .

I have some questions :

- is it necessary to power all the time the master clock ? When you power it , how long to have it stable ?

- Clock cable is obviously critical to get the most out this nice cheap master clock , for those of you who have tried more expensive clock cable than the canare , how do you will rate the sound quality improvement brought by a better clock cable ? 
Thank’s 

I have my clock always powered on. 

Regarding the cables i first used a Canare LV77s digital cable before I switch to the Chord Epic Digital BNC cable.  I use that one with a very good result which in my system is  a big uplift in sound. 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, magnuska said:

Seems like many of you have received your clock fairly quick. I am still waiting for mine from above aliexpress seller.

Ordered mine 10/10 - now it has finally arrived in Sweden and is now beeing processed by the customs. So probably bad luck.

Anyway look forward to hear it in my system.🙂

/Magnus

Took me the same time to Sweden + a week for custom clearing.

31 minutes ago, Mihaylov said:

Sorry, but I don't know the origin of the oscillators that AD uses in its products. Luckily I am able to order the best new oscillators from Morion at an affordable price. 😀

Because of Russias invation of Ukraine 😟I am luckily not willing to order from Morion at any price. 
You can ban me for this it is ok.

I bought a a BG7TBL at first and after that a AfterDark Project ClayX Giesemann, Prince level, external clock for my EtherRegen. In your measurements the phase noise of the BG7TBL is better than the AfterDark Project ClayX Giesemann, Prince level. Do you think you just got a very good example of the BG7TBL? 

What is the dBc/Hz at 10Hz of the internal clock on the EtherRegen?

• 3 months later...
On 5/17/2023 at 6:03 PM, Superdad said:

What ever gave you that idea?!

Sure, if we could build in a -145dBc/Hz OCXO that would be better; but as explained many times such would result in a MUCH more expensive product. Perhaps someday—after EtherREGEN Gen2 is out and we catch up with a year’s demand and parts.

But don’t hold out—and an external clock can be great. That’s why Gen2 will incorporate a little-known SOTA sine>square converter chip right at the clock input. Further leveraging performance benefit of an external clock. 

Posted April 30, 2021 by Superdad
"Not sure why this is important to you. Plenty of people have been enjoying and reporting about many different brands of external reference clocks with EtherREGEN. I have said several times that neither an external reference clock nor a upgraded power supply are required to enjoy 90%+ of the benefits of the EtherREGEN--but that we have no objection to users squeezing a few last performance percentage points by doing so."

Can the benefit of an external clock be greater than the 10% than that you guesstimated in 2021? 😃