Master Clock for your EtherREGEN

7 minutes ago, kelvinwsy said:

Guys I hv the same clock! Found a solution yo the impedance without any Mods

Any one interested to know?

46E63E86-8068-48DF-ACDE-8BA8F355D16B.jpeg

Yes, please.

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

26 minutes ago, ASRMichael said:

I've been thinking about sending my EtherRegen to Pink Faun, to install their Ultra clock. Would involve some case work mods mind you. 

🤔 not sure how that would work? If it's for replacing the 575 oscillator it's same as if you connect it to the ext. connector only a sorter path.

Under development:

1 hour ago, ASRMichael said:

Let's assume PF Ultra Clock is very good quality, like the Mutec. If the PF has much shorter path then surely would give better quality?

I understand the sort signal path thing. The only way I see for shortest signal path is a clock in a box on top of the ER and use a U shaped BNC To BNC connector. No hacking into or chopping up the ER required. ⛏️:ph34r:🔪

Under development:

• 3 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, bernardl said:

At this point, knowing what we know, if budget were not too much of a concern, would there be any reason not to select the Cybershaft OP21A as external clock for the EtherREGEN?

- it has the lowest reported noise of any clock

- it has multiple outputs with selectable impedance

- it has a dedicated external linear power supply

- the company has a great reputation

Am I missing something?

Cheers,

Bernard

What is the price? 

Under development:

• 2 months later...
17 hours ago, Superdad said:

LOL.  Well I am hoping one of them is a time machine--to make more hours in the day to get stuff done. That or a cloning device. x-D

But seriously, this is a very fertile time for John and I.  Things are inching forward on four, possibly five projects concurrently. I really don't know which of them will enter production first--at least three are jockeying for position. Still, all are months away and it is too soon for any bean spilling. :ph34r:

It is very fun. For me at least. John is doing all the really challenging brain work... 9_9

Come on spill spill spill 558080F7-AC88-4129-A402-A395055C0676.jpeg.034528940553c86a2b671e1911baf3b2.jpeg

Under development:

On 9/22/2020 at 4:54 PM, R1200CL said:

1ACC4036-FF78-4DDE-B008-8E1A6071644F.jpeg

I got my clock today and it is different again. The wires red circled on @R1200CLare a little longer to the next pin.

0F86781D-260B-4043-BF3C-CD5A41FAEB4E.thumb.jpeg.a42a7d3178de165257bb961650387f78.jpeg

552292AF-DB3D-426B-9AB7-BB4512CA2010.thumb.jpeg.0d73110fe2976f46db1035eb42b6fc6a.jpeg

0B17FCB6-E6CA-414C-8313-97067BF9E30D.thumb.jpeg.fd7a7b22765fdb172e0f5e1923152ca6.jpeg

Under development:

An other difference I noticed is that my clock uses the LT1764 wich is a 3A version but still with 40uVrms noise. 
On the other pictures I saw they used LT1963.

Now, I am a bit of a modifier so why not replace these regulators with a 2A or 3A Lt3045 ( 3x 1A  LDOvr  reg). @JohnSwenson would this be a good idea?

Under development:

3 hours ago, R1200CL said:

Where do you see that one ?

Is it this one:

Look at my picture with the Dapu clock on it, maybe they where out of lt1963 regulators and had these on hand. 

I’m also wondering why no heatsinks

The heatsink are copper layers in the pcb.

Did you purchase from same seller ?

I think it is the same seller. I use the link in the beginning of this thread, he is now advertising this clock especially for the ER.

What’s the output voltage you’re measuring?

I don’t know yet, I don’t have the final psu for it yet and I do want to power it up to often because of damaging the ocxo to much.

Can your board replace the LT1962A or the LT1764 ?

You can parallel Alexey’s 1A modules to the required current you need.

D47D4D53-6CD0-4396-A213-BEB68A131122.thumb.jpeg.992ab9fe3c9ffb57e6c41bb6e5fff4f9.jpeg

I think clock are sensitive to power supply noise, how much I don’t know. Just ideas 💡 

Under development:

32 minutes ago, JohnSwenson said:

Yes, clocks ARE susceptible to supply noise. The LT3045s are much lower noise than the ones mentioned, BUT a LT3045 is only good for 0.5A, so you need to put a bunch in parallel to attain the current you mention.

Are you thinking about designing your own boards or using someone elses boards? If you use existing boards they either need to be a single board designed for that current, or lower current boards specifically designed to be paralleled. You can't just take two or three 1A boards and parallel them unless they were specifically designed for that.

John S.

A few years ago I asked Alexey from ldovr.com if it was possible to parallel his boards and after he did some experimentation he said it was by paralleling all the inputs, all the outputs and all the “set” pins. The 1A boards he sells now have a through hole connected to the set pin, see picture. 
7E29C00A-04A0-4C82-ADF4-619607E271CE.thumb.jpeg.f881faa7a95a052d46ae69e6ecbc1069.jpeg

In the picture a few posts up you see a 1V  5A  version I made to power a processor of a certain switch. Heat is a problem as I can’t get a heatsink in there so I stack more boards to lighten the current load of all and lowered the input voltage to 0.8V above output. Now the temperature stays under 40 degrees C approximately. When I used an input voltage of 2.5V they got about 70 degrees C, too hot.

So do you think this would be a worthwhile modification?

Under development:

7 hours ago, FIndingit said:

Alexey’s 1.5A board is perfect for these clocks. I use one of 12v and put it a couple millimetres away from the input pin of the clock, under the board, thus bypassing a long path and unnecessary caps on the pcb. 

Hi, do you by any chance know what the output voltage of the internal lt1963 is? Would help a lot?

Under development:

58 minutes ago, sgr said:

Hi,

So far I’m very dissatisfied with my DaPU clock project. I’ve never received my unit. It’s bed. A couple of months. I used the same seller you all used in AliExpress. I get excuse after excuse. 
EXCUSES

1. The unit was returned by the shipping company. (I paid extra for AliExpress shipping.) 
2.  I’m sending out DHL you should have it this week. (Ha ha) a 3 weeks have come and gone.
3. I’ve asked for DHL Tracking. . No response. 
4. Asked again got DHL tracking. 
After another week. 
“shipping delayed by holiday”

I think this is crap service. Anyone else gave this experience?

According to PayPal the sale went through on my end. 

I can of course cancel the sale through PayPal.

I don’t think I’ll ever order from AliExpress ever again.  Seems like a scam. 

Any ideas? 

Mine took about 4 weeks to get to Europe and I didn’t expect it to be here sooner. It’s not a scam many people ordered from him and everyone got it I think. Patience.

Under development:

So I powered up my clock today with its temporary power supply. It’s a studer900 into a 12V LT3045 till I make a better one. 
I have measured the output voltage of the internal LT1764, LT1963 regulator and its 11V.

This is my clocking “cable” not sure if it’s a good or bad idea because it 2 more contact passages but it is short 5cm. 🙂

00E3A8CF-1B9F-4338-B365-3C70350E66C7.thumb.jpeg.3fe3cb18584c8c28bab4b3b7f61bec4c.jpeg

Under development:

13 minutes ago, JohnSwenson said:

There is NO need for a specific cable length IF the impedances are properly matched all along (cable, connectors on cable, connectors on boxes and internal board impedances). The issue did exist for SPDIF because the impedances almost never came close.

So for a clock cable where everything is properly impedance matched, there is no need for a specific length, in general shorter is better. BUT you have to take into account the bandwidth of the cable. A longer piece of very high bandwidth cable can be better than a short piece of not so high bandwidth cable.

Also shielding can matter. The best are very high bandwidth double shielded cables. These are not cheap but will give the best results.

Note NONE of this has anything to do with the clock not working at all, it has to do with subtle differences in the edges of the clock waveform at the clock receiver causing slight differences in jitter in the received clock which you may perceive as better sound.

As to the specific cable mentioned, I have no idea, I don't know the specifics of that cable. As long as the cable and connectors on the cable have the correct impedance to match the input on the ER and the output of the clock you can certainly try it. (you can use anything you want, it won't harm anything, it just may not sound as good as it could, heck wire coat hangers will WORK, but probably won't sound that great).

John S.

What do you think about the 75ohm adapters I used and the two extra contact passes, it is short. 9 posts up.

Under development:

@JohnSwenson I was wondering do you know of modules or small pcb’s for sale that have a 10Mhz input and have a relatively easy selectable output frequency, 24Mhz, 25Mhz etc audio frequencies?

Under development:

7 hours ago, sgr said:

Hi,

My AliExpress Reclocker has arrived. Haven’t listened to it but it was packed superbly and once picked up by DHL arrived in record time. 

I see there are 4 taps on the reclocker. I have two EtherRegens. They are very close to each other so I can cascade them into each other and both are powered by my JS-2. 

My question. Can I use one of the other taps to Reclock my second EtherRegen? Right now the Reclocker is just connected to the final Ethergen in the chain. I’m powering the Reclocker with a LPS 1.2 at 12 volts. Will using the second tap on the reclocker draw more power from the LPS 1.2 causing it to become underpowered? 

If it will work I’ll order a second Apogee WydeEye clock cable. 

Thanks1

If you want to cascade two ER’s you can connect the clock (not reclocker) only to one ER other wise you defeated the isolation moat of the second ER.

But if you use the clock on both ER’s, that could also be beneficial too and you still have the isolation moat of the first ER. I think you have to try and see what sounds best and ask @Superdad

Under development:

The clock signal is very critical signal and it degrades with the length of the cable so the longer the cable the better it needs to be. So buy as short as possible cables, 25 cm is already a lot imo.

Under development:

4 hours ago, sgr said:

My Etherregen Chinese clock system stops playing after about an hour. This causes me to hard restart the Clock, the EtherREGEN, and sometimes also my Aries G2 streamer. 

Is there any adjustment that needs to be made internally or external? I’ve tried all three taps. The stoppage occurs with all of them. For some reason after a total reboot the system sounds much better. But I think the.          sound quality slowly decays until the Stoppage. 

The Clocks led remains green and the Lps 1.2 seems to be stable. 

The EtherREGEN is powered by the JS2 and fan cooled.

Perhaps the clock is defective? 
Anyone else having issues?

It does sound considerably better than the EtherREGEN clock. 

The EtherREGEN plays without stoppage when its internal clock is used. 

Are you powering the Etherregen with 12v? If so maybe you could try to power the clock with the js2 and ER with the lps1.2. I don’t know but maybe needs a more powerful power supply.

Under development:

• 2 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, sgr said:

Some have mentioned adding LT3045s inside the Chinese Clock. Can anyone supply “how to” instructions, parts needed link, and where to insert it in the clock board? 

For those who’ve accomplished this what were the results?

That is an idea I had and is now on the long list of things to do. 

The idea is to remove the lt1963 regulator and insert a dual paralleled 1A ldovr board

Under development:

• 1 month later...
12 minutes ago, Avalfa said:

A few weeks ago my clock arrived, since last Saturday is finally installed in my system ( only at the ER).

Connected with a 30cm long Sommer vector SC 0.8/3.7 cable with compliant Neutrik 75ohm BNC connectors.

Unfortunately due to a cold, my ears aren't working optimal at the moment. And for now the changes aren't really spectacular (at least not to my expectations after reading here 😉).

At the moment I can't name what's making it different. The funny thing is, when I switch back to the situation without, it sounds instantly there's missing something.

IMG_20201206_144355.jpg

Hopefully you don’t have corona. 😷

Under development:

• 4 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, JohnSwenson said:

The time it will take to get a one second error is greater than the age of the universe,

😁😁

Under development: