IGNORED

Master Clock for your EtherREGEN

If it wasn't for this Forum I wouldn't have my nice new BG7TBL Clock so please let me say a thank you to everyone!

I plan to line the case of my BG7TBL Clock with 1/4" Neoprene for insulation in order to try and keep the clock temperature as stable as possible but I haven't researched and purchased the right glue yet.

My goto for mass damping is to use a granite sample piece with some Herbies Fat Dots glued on as feet using Permatex Gasket Sealer.

In the meantime,  having ordered some more Herbies Fat Dots and while I also await some Herbies Tenderfeet to put on the bottom of the Clock, I am using 1/4" Neoprene beneath as well as on top of the clock and I have placed a 4"x4"x1" Granite sample piece on top of the neoprene.

1107201519_HDR.jpg

Intel NUC 8i7BEH (Roon Rock) --> M1 Mac Mini (HQPlayer) --> English Electric 8 Switch --> Sonore Optical Module --> Uptone EtherRegen + AfterDark Giesemann Emperor Double Crown Clock --> Holo Audio Red (NAA)  --> Holo Audio May KTE DAC --> Holo Audio Serene Preamp --> JL Audio CR-1 Crossover --> [ (Parasound JC 1+ Monoblocks --> Monitor Audio Platinum PL 300 II Speakers) + JL Audio f113v2 Subwoofer ]

12 minutes ago, Superdad said:

But if it rocks you'd best shim it! :P

[My wife is a gem, yet sometimes I take her for granite.]

Just to clarify I can't report back yet as my little chunk of coarse grained igneous rock hasn't finished breaking in. 🤣

Intel NUC 8i7BEH (Roon Rock) --> M1 Mac Mini (HQPlayer) --> English Electric 8 Switch --> Sonore Optical Module --> Uptone EtherRegen + AfterDark Giesemann Emperor Double Crown Clock --> Holo Audio Red (NAA)  --> Holo Audio May KTE DAC --> Holo Audio Serene Preamp --> JL Audio CR-1 Crossover --> [ (Parasound JC 1+ Monoblocks --> Monitor Audio Platinum PL 300 II Speakers) + JL Audio f113v2 Subwoofer ]

On 1/30/2021 at 7:05 PM, Roasty said:

Got a bit confused and am confusing myself further.. Am I shorting any moat by doing the following? 

EtherRegen powered by Farad Super 3

Clock to ER powered by Keces P8 output 1

Lan cable to.. 

Sotm streamer powered by another Super 3

Another clock to SOtM powered by Keces P8 output 2

Essentially the concern is with the Keces P8 powering both clocks. Or is there nothing to be concerned about with regards to the moat. 

Hello there,

It depends what way round your Etheregen is connected. If you have the Lan Cable on the B (Clock) side going to the SoTM streamer then you are ok. 

16 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

Tungsten cube 5x5 cm between 400 to 500 grams including shipping looks like maximum $60 at the moment. 

Hi there did you make a typo? A 5cm cube of tungsten has a mass of 2.3 kg and would also cost a lot more.

I'm a granite slab guy myself ..

5 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

With ref to post previous page, we’re talking about one cm thick. 

I don’t expect granite to have same effect. If you tried, do you have pictures?

Ah ok.  Thanks for clarifying.  I saw the word "cube" and it triggered me ...

Not trying to suggest granite as an alternative for the purpose you are using tungsten for .. namely right on the OXCO itself.

Happy listening!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

IMO feet for the clock should be chosen not to drain mechanical energy (e.g spikes) but to protect it from external vibrations. This is why for instance the Mutec Ref 10 has feet which included a rubber ring for this purpose. I went with Herbies Tenderfeet.

Qn - Is the purpose (from a damping perspective) of adding a Tungsten block directly to the oscillator that it it damps vibrations from the oscillator? ... my thinking has been that these would be inconsequential ... and I worry in fact that a weight added directly to the oscillator might affect its frequency. And yet a lot of people are hearing improvements .....

I get it that a Tungsten block added to the oscillator inside the case does increase the thermal mass by an amount but I feel that a better way to stabilize the temperature inside the case (and to maintain the stability of the oscillator) is to isolate it thermally from temperature vibrations occurring outside the case e.g by using neoprene to line the case inside and/or outside.

I did add a granite weight (700g) to the top of the case for the same purpose as the Herbies Tenderfeet, namely isolating the clock from external vibrations by increasing the total mass.

Thoughts?

Best,

James

36 minutes ago, MartinT said:

This is a mantra for my entire system. There is not a spike anywhere, they work counter to my intuition and tend to give a brightness or sheen that obscures detail. It's why my whole system uses Black Ravioli footers under everything. They are remarkable in absorbing vibration and damping the component.

The BR's might even be better than the Herbies Tenderfeet. I'm a big fan of the IsoAcoustics products but they aren't cheap .. too much to spend to put those on this little clock.

36 minutes ago, MartinT said:

The tungsten thing was more of it sounded like a good idea so let's try it. It works remarkably well and was an easy mod to apply. The OCXO definitely benefits in overall sound quality.

That's great to hear. I wasn't clear enough in explaining that it wasn't the addition of mass but rather the fact the Tungsten block might be weakly magnetic that was worrying me. The frequency of a crystal oscillator is known to be influenced by magnetic fields. Then I realized there is effectively a Faraday cage around the oscillator so those concerns are rendered moot. 

Best,

James

8 hours ago, fsmithjack said:

Guys - sorry if I don’t understand the vast majority of this. 

I love Uptone Audio products.

I own a EtherRegen and a JS-2 LPS. 

Can you please help me. I just wanted to buy a clock and BNC cable to use with my EtherRegen. 

I bought this clock and this cable. I just placed and order for both and then thought did I buy the right stuff. 

I just don’t know enough and just want to buy and plug them in and hope my stereo sounds better. Can you look this over and let me know if I did ok or do I need to contact them and change order because I messed up? I am over my head but want my stereo to sound better. 

Thank you so much for the help! 

Looks good but don't use your JS-2 to power both. The reason is the the power for the ER is to the A side and the clock connection is on the B side so if you use your JS-2 you will short the moat in the ER.

Best,

James

7 hours ago, PYP said:

Unless he is able to flip it around and run B (input) to A (output).  

Can you or someone else help me understand why?

Thanks!

13 hours ago, Freddiekaberman said:

... I guess the extra thermal mass means once operating temperature is established there is less frequent activation of the heating elements, less current draw and a degree of vibration damping due to the added mass. Perhaps adding some further insulation to the case could indeed push the performance again, no harm in trying. 

The temperature of the environment determines how often the heater circuit in the oven operates. Cooler more, warmer less.

Insulating the case most facilitates a warmer and more stable temperature environment inside the case vs the environment outside the case which should result in less operation of the heater circuit in the clock and a more stable clock frequency.

I think it is worth pointing out that Tungsten is highly thermally conductive, so could act as a heat sink on the OXCO if people aren't careful and that will potentially make the heater circuit operate more not less. Just something to bear in mind.

I've been thinking about this stuff way too much. Not proclaiming to be right about anything. Just throwing my thoughts out there for discussion.

Best,

James

2 hours ago, PYP said:

Regarding turning around the eR from B > A so that the JS-2 can power both the eR and an external clock, Alex explained (I bolded some text):

“ If your usage of the EtherREGEN has only one (network feed) connection on the 'A' side, then there is a trick you can use which will allow use of the JS-2 for both the EtherREGEN and endpoint while preserving the full isolation.  "Turn around" the EtherREGEN, running your network feed into the 'B' port, and your endpoint from one of the 'A' ports.  This works great for two reasons:

1) We went to extra trouble and expense to make the EtherREGEN symmetrical about its moat (i.e. differential clocking and reclocking and all super voltage regulation is the same both sides) just so that B>A performance would be equal to A>B. Main reason we did it was for optical endpoint users (opticalRendu), but there are other uses for B>A connection, such as multiple endpoints or issues of power supply.

2) DC power to the EtherREGEN is to its 'A' side (yes, power makes its way to the 'B' side, but viaexpensive isolating converters across the moat), so having the endpoint attached to an 'A' port makes it not matter that both the EtherREGEN and the endpoint are sharing a power supply (JS-2) whose two DC outputs share a common -VE/zero-volt "ground." “

Hi there, I can see that works for a JS-2 powering ER + Endpoint but not for ER + Clock. The Clock input (B side) is aways on the opposite side from the power to the ER (A side) so you short the moat whichever way round the ER faces. Best, James

50 minutes ago, fsmithjack said:

Thank you James - I was worried no one would look at my purchase and reply. Thanks I really appreciate it.

I use the factory power supply that came with the eR because I read it works better because of its ground.

I use JS-2 to power my sonicTransporter I5 and was going to power this clock I bought. Is that ok to do?

I also own a Wyred 4 Sound PS-1 with 4 rails 5v to 15v. It maxes out at 1.3amps per rails. What one do you think I should use to power my clock the JS-2 or PS-1? 

Also, I own a Gigafoil filter and was thinking about putting this right after my fiOs router which then goes to my OCXO switch from The Linear Technology switch and then that switch goes into a side of eR and then the b side feeds Ethernet right into my Bricasti as it accepts an Ethernet cable direct and has built in Roon Ethernet player. Do you think it’s worth using a Gigafoil right after my version fiOs router or is it overkill and a waist? 

thanks again for the kind response. I am not that great at this stuff but starting to learn. Love my eR. 

Hi there,

If you want to power the clock and your sonicTransporter I5 from the JS-2 then this might just be one of those situations where it is best to reverse the eR as PYP suggested above. The reason would be that you want to move the clock connection to the same side of the eR as the sT i5 so as not to defeat the moat.

I am assuming your sT i5 is not connected to an A port on the eR when I say that. A diagram of how you are planning on connecting everything together would be very helpful. Doesn't have to be neat ... just draw it out on a piece of paper.

I'm not that familiar with the Gigafoil or the Wyred 4 Sound PS-1  .. others hopefully might be and can answer you on those  .... also those questions seem off topic if I'm honest so maybe the best thing to do is to post these to a New Topic  .. I am willing to bet you'll get some answers if you include a diagram.

Best,

James

9 hours ago, PYP said:

Not to argue, but according to a conversation with Alex, that is not correct.  

Thanks PYP. Looking forward to possibly learning something new if he has time to reply on this. Best, James

6 hours ago, fsmithjack said:

Hello James,

Thanks again for the help.

I drew a sketch like you asked and it is not pretty but I hope it helps.

Using the eR backwards sort of confuses me but I’m glad to do it if you guys think it helps. I am attaching a hand written diagram but I want to type it out here because I think it will be easier to understand... lol 

My set up goes like this:

—————————————————

* Version fiOs Router (LPS)

* SGC - sonicTransporter I5 (JS-2) 

- Both of these plug into:

* OCXO Switch - The Linear Soulution (LPS) 

- Ethernet out plugs into A side 

* EtherRegen (OEM Wallwart)

- B side out plugs into 

* Bricasti M1SE DAC that accepts Ethernet direct plug in. 
—————————————————-

I just bought this BG7TGL Clock and was thinking of powering with 2nd rail of JS-2. I do have W4S PS-1 I could use instead but it has 4 rails so not sure how good the ground is on that. I also have an extra Chinese 12v 2amp supply I could also if you think that is a better idea? 
—————————————————-

power supply notes:

I have one rail open on my JS2 to power new Clock BG7TGL 

I have these Power Supplies 

- 2 x 12v 2amp Chinese LPS
- Uptone Audio JS-2 LPS 2 rails. 
- OCXO switch has it own LPS 
- W4S PS-2 - (4) separate rails - adjustable 5v, 7v, 12v 1.3 amp max per 

F82EC3CB-D5F5-45A4-8572-1A13E1B4BD64.jpeg

Hi there,

So many options for you with the equipment you have.

Reverse the ER and you will be ok powering the BG7TBL from the JS-2 along with your ST i5.

Maybe install that GigaFoil between your FiOS router and the OXCO Switch for a bit more isolation.

Make sure the Ethernet cable from your ER to the Bricasti is not too long. 3m max. Ideally less than 1m.

Best,

James

2 hours ago, fsmithjack said:

Also, I am powering my er with wallwart because people say this is better because of moat ground. Is this true also. Think I am starting the wrap my head around this a bit. I really do appreciate the help. I am def a clock and er newbie. Thanks 

Thanks 

Hi there,

I'll just answer you on this piece as you know now how to reverse the ER.

ER works very well indeed with the supplied SMPS which includes a ground shunt to take care of leakage currents. There is also a ground screw so that if you use for example the Uptone LPS-1.2 to power it instead (which is a "floating" power supply) then you can run an insulated wire safely to some AC mains ground or to the chassis of a known-grounded component.

Best,

James

6 minutes ago, DSK6 said:

Is the length of the patch cord between eR and DAC really important? Are you concerned that it will act as an antennae and degrade the signal? 

I thought that once the eR cleaned up the garbage introduced by the preceding comms gear that the patch cord length (within reason) to the DAC wouldn't matter. I have an eR, AfterDark OXCO master reference clock and LPS on order and was planning to insert them into my system per the diagram below. My reason for locating this gear in the adjoining room is that I don't then have to worry about all the clutter of small boxes behind my hifi system and I don't have to plug the eR's SMPS into my dedicated AC lines that service my hifi system (I've managed to remove all SMPS's from the system).

Do I need to reconsider?

Network.png

Oh no I'm going to have to pull an "Alex told me on the phone" lol. When I was first integrating an ER into my system I had a 4m Ethernet cable on the B-side to my DAC and after reviewing a diagram of my proposed setup Alex suggested I move the ER from my basement and get it as close to the DAC as I could. I did exactly that and now I have a 0.7m Ethernet cable on the B side and I installed an Optical Module in the basement and ran fiber up to my ER on a small stand directly behind my main equipment rack.

Yes this tip isn't in the ER manual.

You can perhaps plug the SMPS into a regular outlet it doesn't have to be plugged into one of your audiophile dedicated lines.

Best,

James

8 hours ago, DSK6 said:

@JamesStephens  Thanks for the feedback but I'll need more info to be convinced.

The network topology and hifi system will remain unchanged and currently sounds wonderfully natural. If I add the EtherREGEN and OCXO clock between the router and this 8m CAT6 cable to clean up the grunge potentially added by the comms gear, the system should either sound exactly the same as it does now or hopefully better. However, I can't see how a 1m CAT6 cable between the EtherREGEN and SSR streamer will sound any different to an 8m one.

I'm certainly no expert but the only reason I can think of is issues caused by the "antenna affect" of the longer cable. However, this is exactly the same cable I'm using now without an etherREGEN and there are no audible nasties that I can detect. Surely any degredation caused by the longer length would not be detectable by human hearing?

I'd be very interested to hear whether anyone else on this forum has replaced an ethernet cable with an identical one of a shorter length and heard a repeatable difference, or has knowledge of why this could be so.

I did find this in the ER manual on page 7 "If you are going to hear a difference with an Ethernet cable, it will more likely be with the ‘B’-side cable. This is also a good one to keep short."

That said, there are some interesting comments from JS on this subject on page 15 here:

"Changes made by different cable lengths and material types etc make such small changes in the signal that they are incredibly hard to measure. "

"Any changes I make in the electronics make vastly larger SQ changes than Ethernet cable changes that I have ZERO interest in spending a lot of time trying to find "THE BEST" cable. "

Best,

James

3 hours ago, DarqueKnight said:

I was curious about the specs of the cell phone tower OCXO  clock currently offered on AliExpress for the EtherREGEN. I asked the vendor these questions:

1. What is the output impedance, 50 ohms or 75 ohms? The pictures look like 50 ohm outputs, but I wasn't sure if the picture was the actual product.

2. Who is the manufacturer of the OCXO?

Answers:

1. 50 ohms.

2. NDK 2525.

AliExpress OCXO item ordering page:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001705401580.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.4a913c00TOaaBw&mp=1

NDK2525 spec sheet:

https://www.ndk.com/en/ad/2013/001/pdf/c_NZ2520SD_e.pdf

Hi there,

Something might be amiss.

That spec sheet appears to be for an oscillator that will output a number of frequencies but not 10MHz, and that isn't an NDK2525.

Having said that, I checked NDK's website but I didn't see a spec page for an NDK2525.

Best,

James

5 hours ago, DarqueKnight said:

Many thanks to @MartinT , @Superdad@JohnSwenson and others who contributed to this thread. Based on the good advice and personal experiences described here, I decided to forego playing "reclaimed cell tower clock roulette". I recently ordered an Afterdark Giesemann Triple Output (75 ohm square wave) OCXO with integrated linear power supply. A review will be posted in the Afterdark forum after it is received and settled in.

If my curiosity gets the better of me, I might order one of the cell tower clocks to compare it to the Afterdark Giesmann.

1559438561_Afterdark.ProjectClayXGiesemannOCXO10MHZXTripleOutputs001-s.thumb.jpg.227ee041ec9974057e308d1353d1e7cb.jpg

My EtherREGEN is configured as follows: TeraDak DC-30 linear power supply, Revelation Audio Labs Cat8+ 1.25m Ethernet cable B-side to Bryston BDP-3 digital player, Revelation Audio Labs Cat8+ Ethernet cable, A-side port 1  to Synology DS718+ NAS, Monoprice Cat8 Ethernet cable, A-side port 4 to Araknis AN-110-SW-S8 Ethernet switch. The Araknis switch provides the stereo system's networked components (BDP-3 digital player, PS Audio P10 AC regenerator, EtherREGEN) a wired connection to the home LAN's router.

The EtherREGEN is located on the top rear of a dCS Puccini U-Clock word clock.

732296410_EtherREGENSwitch2CH-s.thumb.jpg.8772eaef0b0c702826f0701388186626.jpg

Digital source components, left to right: dCS Debussy DAC, dCS Puccini word clock, Synology DS718+ NAS, Bryston BDP-3 digital player. The three main source components sit on PS Audio PowerBase isolation platforms and Black Diamond Racing isolation cones and pucks. The NAS sits on a 1/2" thick pad of Sorbothane. Twenty-two pound granite slabs anchor the DAC, word clock, and digital player to their isolation platforms. The NAS is powered by a TeraDak DC-150 linear power supply. Source components and preamp are powered by a PS Audio P10 AC regenerator, which is fed by a dedicated 20 amp AC circuit. Each monoblock power amp has its own 20 amp AC circuit, which are on separate legs of the breaker box's electrical service.

1465761097_2ChEqpCabTop01-31-21CRP-s.thumb.jpg.39d0ff728acc1f1d88ad417b12762c8b.jpg

Let us know what you think. I've been looking at the AfterDark clocks myself. I am waiting for John's clock paper to come out though with hopes he has something to say about AD's method of square wave generation, which appears to be a "boost and chop" on the sine wave. Maybe I have it all wrong but I worry about what that might due to the clock phase noise .. how can it not boost it?

Best,

James

13 hours ago, James Stephens said:

Let us know what you think. I've been looking at the AfterDark clocks myself. I am waiting for John's clock paper to come out though with hopes he has something to say about AD's method of square wave generation, which appears to be a "boost and chop" on the sine wave. Maybe I have it all wrong but I worry about what that might due to the clock phase noise .. how can it not boost it?

Best,

James

I forgot there is an AfterDark Forum now .. I am asking this question over there.

12 hours ago, DSK6 said:

Thanks James, I hadn't seen that thread. When I get time I'll read more of it but from what JS wrote, his experience is that DIFFERENT ethernet cables may make a miniscule difference to SQ but so small he is not concerned with them. He doesn't mention comparing different lengths of the SAME ethernet cable. 

The only way to be comfortable that I'm not missing out on any of the etherREGEN/clock benefits is to compare both setups in my system when they arrive. However, it reportedly takes days for the system to settle down again after power cycling these clocks and I'm not confident that I could do a meaningful comparison under these conditions.

John does recommend a short ethernet cable on the B side to ensure maximum signal integrity ..and he actually modified the ethernet PHY to add capacitance to support ethernet cable lengths less than 1m ... but if your setup sounds great and you are happy I wouldn't worry. 

1 hour ago, ambre said:

doorstoppers 😃😃

Bespoke? 

(Sorry .. couldn’t resist lol).

I feel like my ER + LPS-1.2 could benefit from some added mass but I am also cognisant of their temperature so my goto of adding a granite block didn’t seem appropriate. I bought an aluminum heatsink but it felt too light so I didn’t deploy it .... thinking of trying copper ... 3 times denser and higher thermal conductivity to boot.

Thoughts anyone?

James