IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server with custom made parts

Next week I hope I will get some information on my order of RAM I'm waiting for months, so I can send you my 2 x 8GB spare ones and for sure, its working as I already powered my Asus C621 e Sage mobo.

34 minutes ago, Tatomek7 said:

Next week I hope I will get some information on my order of RAM I'm waiting for months, so I can send you my 2 x 8GB spare ones and for sure, its working as I already powered my Asus C621 e Sage mobo.

Hello again!

Most likely, my friend in Germany is in the same state like you. He has been waiting for the RAM chips for quite some time now. He has sent me the board & the CPUS along with a pair of DDR4 DIMMs but they are not RDIMMs and they do not work. It seems that this MoBo requires only RDIMM chips to work. There is no need to worry for all this unwanted situation, he will send me the chips immediately after they are in his hands. But this may take quite long. I will call him now and will ask him about the estimated date of delivery, if this is scheduled months from now, then I will be looking for your help. Stay tuned. Thanx, Peter

Design & Manufacture of High Fidelity Audio Equipment
17 hours ago, Tatomek7 said:

Hi All,

I refresh the thread, as I just joined the C621 camp with two LGA3647 processors motherboard and I’m highly interested to exchange the current coolers ( Dynatron B14 ) with passive solution. I was following with big hope @Peter Avgeris involvement, but no news recently. @OAudio, do you think, your cooler has chance to become real? I was looking here around to find the local artisan with right CNC , but with no success at the moment. It seems more complicated, I thought before.

Hi,

Details are finalised and the my engineers have a production slot scheduled to cut the coolers and other parts (below) from billet in two weeks time. I still have not decided on colour of the finish either black or clear anodized. I plan to visit the factory to see some finish samples and look at the units in production so will confirm colour then.

The rendering (in the above post)  shows the cpu "riser" and its clamp for the securing heat pipes. In addition I am having four half clamps produced per riser. The half clamps are used in pairs clamp three heat pipes and allow them to be bolted to whatever heatsink is to be used for disipating heat away from the server's case. The correct hardware to fixings will be used to bolt the risers to the standard LGA3647 motherboard socket fitting and I went to some lengths in the design to ensure that the plastic CPU retainer that is used on LGA 3647 coolers will also work as normal.

I have had to commit to a batch of production in order to get them made which has not been cheap ! There may be a few sets left over that I do not use for my project. Will keep you posted when the physical unit show up in a couple of weeks.

OAudio.

On 6/12/2020 at 11:56 AM, RickyV said:

Now that would be really over killing it 😀

But anyway at the moment I am doing that but with two 5A newclassd regulators, one in the external power supply, 24V. And one, 19V, inside my nuc case 10cm away from the internal connection point of the nuc.

Now with the more quality regulators I can do several configurations. 

Use SJ on the external power supply and still use the NCd as a second.

Use SJ external and use the ext power barrel connector on the nuc board. One regulator.

Use the NCd on the external power supply and build the SJ in the nuc case and use the int power connector. Best regulator last.

Build SJ in the nuc case and feed it with unregulated DC. So transformer, rectifier and caps external. Raw dc. 

I think the SJ fits inside the nuc case I have only 3 cm hight max.

What configuration would you prefer? @nenon too?

Have you been able to do these test ?

Myself I have been doing some test using SJ dc3 double reg modules and also mp audio double reg modules ( lt 3045 based ).

We did our test on an ered dock engineered endpoint player ( [email protected] .

The first result is that the SJ DC3reg modules is clearly superior in term of sound quality to mp audio double reg and also quadruple reg ....

We then tried blending regulators , 1st stage DC3red and second stage mp audio module . This quadruple reg and it just killed the sonic benefit brought by the dc3 reg . What we heard was imposed by the mp audio reg modules .

We did not tried the other way around mp audio then DC3reg .

In other test with mp audio modules we found that triple reg is better than double reg . This is why I am also interested with your test of two dc3 sj modules serial.

Looking forward for your test.

PCserver Supermicro X11SAA under Daphile  ,Jcat pcie net card ,Etherregen,e-red dock endpoint,powered by LPS 1.2 , SPS 500 , Sean Jacobs level 3 psu,  DAC Audiomat Maestro 3, Nagra Classic Amp , Hattor passive preamplifier , Martin Logan montis

9 hours ago, jean-michel6 said:

Myself I have been doing some test using SJ dc3 double reg modules and also mp audio double reg modules ( lt 3045 based ).

We did our test on an ered dock engineered endpoint player ( [email protected] .

The first result is that the SJ DC3reg modules is clearly superior in term of sound quality to mp audio double reg and also quadruple reg ....

We then tried blending regulators , 1st stage DC3red and second stage mp audio module . This quadruple reg and it just killed the sonic benefit brought by the dc3 reg . What we heard was imposed by the mp audio reg modules .

In other test with mp audio modules we found that triple reg is better than double reg . This is why I am also interested with your test of two dc3 sj modules serial.

I have not tested it yet. Currently my second dc3 is powering my fully linear buffalo switch. Soon I will replaced it something else. 
Thanks for all the valuable info.

What do you use for rectification and buffer C before the dc3 and what in front of the mp modules? To me it clearly helped to have crc or clc filter after rectification.

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers with scan speak illuminator drivers.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

On 7/31/2020 at 12:04 PM, Solstice380 said:

@OAudio The emissivity of black color is better - slightly more heat will be dissipated.

Black would work better for heat emission from the CPU cooling block, but the extra heat emitted would be inside the case rather than being transferred out of the case via the heat pipes / case's external heat sinks. I don't think the difference between black v's silver finish should be too great so aesthetics will probably be the decider :)

Black would look cool though..... :)

On 8/2/2020 at 3:05 PM, RickyV said:

What do you use for rectification and buffer C before the dc3 and what in front of the mp modules? To me it clearly helped to have crc or clc filter after rectification.

I use the Sean Jacobs dc module with Mundorf caps .

And from your side what did you find to work best ? 

PCserver Supermicro X11SAA under Daphile  ,Jcat pcie net card ,Etherregen,e-red dock endpoint,powered by LPS 1.2 , SPS 500 , Sean Jacobs level 3 psu,  DAC Audiomat Maestro 3, Nagra Classic Amp , Hattor passive preamplifier , Martin Logan montis

13 minutes ago, jean-michel6 said:

I use the Sean Jacobs dc module with Mundorf caps .

And from your side what did you find to work best ? 

okey if you use the SJ buffer module then there is a coil between the two capacitors and I found that you can hear that difference. The mp audio does not have that.

Under development:

On 8/1/2020 at 11:39 PM, jean-michel6 said:

Wondering exactly which MPAudio modules you used since there are several MPAudio options. Was it the LSIB-HPULN?

5 hours ago, Exocer said:

Wondering exactly which MPAudio modules you used since there are several MPAudio options. Was it the LSIB-HPULN?

https://www.mpaudio.net/hpuln-power-supplies

Under development:

9 hours ago, RickyV said:

okey if you use the SJ buffer module then there is a coil between the two capacitors and I found that you can hear that difference. The mp audio does not have that.

On the SJ buffer module for DC3 there is not a coil between both capacitors I think that it is on the DC4 buffer that there is coil. 

For MP audio modules. , I have been using ALD-HPULN followed by an SLS-HPULN this way I achieve a triple regulation stage .

In term of sound quality the DC3 Sean Jacobs is clearly superior by a significant margin but it is also more expensive

21 minutes ago, jean-michel6 said:

On the SJ buffer module for DC3 there is not a coil between both capacitors I think that it is on the DC4 buffer that there is coil.

I am not familiar with all SJ products but in @elan120 build you can see between the top two mundorfs a smaller copper pillar that’s the coil.

image.jpeg.bffca51a01d2f850da7e303bf7fb41df.jpeg

The DC4 has two of those pillars and also two mundorfs

Under development:

59 minutes ago, jean-michel6 said:

For MP audio modules. , I have been using ALD-HPULN followed by an SLS-HPULN this way I achieve a triple regulation stage .

In term of sound quality the DC3 Sean Jacobs is clearly superior by a significant margin but it is also more expensive

Hi jean-michel6,

May I ask what sort of transformer you used with the MPAudio modules in the comparison with the SJ DC3?

Geoff

PH SR7 > MacMini+Uptone MMK Mod > Audirvana 3.2 > re-clocked D-LInk switch/LPS1.1 > sMS-200Ultra/LPS1.2 > tX-USBUltra/PH SR7 > Chord BluDave > Focal Utopia(Norne Silver) or Voxativ 9.87/ Stereo REL G1 Mk II

5 hours ago, jean-michel6 said:

Thanks, this answers my question. Cheers!

I am working on a project based on 4 LSIB-HPULNs to power 12v devices and now that I see you've used the SLS, which provides even better regulation (albeit at lower current maximum) I am wondering if I should limit these to two and use SJ modules for the more critical components.

Thanks

13 hours ago, RickyV said:

am not familiar with all SJ products but in @elan120 build you can see between the top two mundorfs a smaller copper pillar that’s the coil.

Sharp eyes , I will check again on my existing dc3 to see if I have these .

12 hours ago, HeeBroG said:

May I ask what sort of transformer you used with the MPAudio modules in the comparison with the SJ DC3?

It is a transfo from mp audio also they do get them from toroidy . It is not the top of the line toroidy but it is good quality . 

8 hours ago, Exocer said:

I am working on a project based on 4 LSIB-HPULNs to power 12v devices and now that I see you've used the SLS, which provides even better regulation (albeit at lower current maximum) I am wondering if I should limit these to two and use SJ modules for the more critical components.

On the paper the regulator of mpaudio modules ( lt 3045 ) are better than the lm 1086 used by Sean Jacobs .

However from sound quality point of view the sj modules are clearly better .

For most critical use I will recommend sj modules .

3 minutes ago, jean-michel6 said:

On the paper the regulator of mpaudio modules ( lt 3045 ) are better than the lm 1086 used by Sean Jacobs .

LM1084, max current 5A not continuesly

Under development:

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/4/2020 at 11:41 PM, jean-michel6 said:

jean-michel,

is it possible to get sj modules for diy purposes or are you referring to ready made DC3 and DC4 power supplies?

If you are referring to sj modules, where do you get them from?

Thank you 🙂

Matt

2 hours ago, matthias said:

is it possible to get sj modules for diy purposes or are you referring to ready made DC3 and DC4 power supplies?

Yes, Sean sell both DC3 modules and completed power supplies.  To purchase them, contact Sean directly.

As a reference, I built two power supplies, a total of 5 rails, using Sean's modules, and for more details, you can check out this post.

4 hours ago, matthias said:

jean-michel,

Thank you 🙂

Matt

As @elan120 I confirm that you can buy modules from Sean Jacobs just send him an email . 
Do give him your power voltage and amperage for each rail and he will give you the transformer voltage and amp requirements.

It is important as his recommendations are significantly above what common sense or design rules will give you .

His answer is that it is important for sound quality . 
As an example for a [email protected] output from a DC3 reg he recommended [email protected] from the transformer.

On 8/4/2020 at 11:43 PM, RickyV said:

LM1084, max current 5A not continuesly

For DC3 reg it is LM1086 and for DC4reg it is LM1084 

DC3 reg as 1.5A capability and 5 A with boost module . DC4reg is 5A