IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server with custom made parts

This is yet again one of my favorite thread!

One of the critical aspect of designing a heat sink is the target TDP. The 3647 CPU ranges from 85watts to over 200watts.

Are we still targeting 65watts - 95watts as per current H5 specs ? It would be good to increase this capacity. The more the thermal capacity, the better the cooling even if you are running a low TDP cpu.

2 hours ago, StreamFidelity said:

The project goal is to design a heat sink for the LGA3647 socket!

Just designing a heat sink for LGA3647 won't work for practical reasons if we want to use the Asus Sage C621 motherboard. The motherboard is EEB form factor which is 12" x 13". This will fill up almost the entire chassis leaving no room for other things like a 800w DC-DC ATX convertor. This means we either need to have a way of supporting it externally via a 24-pin ATX attachment, or we need to go full linear which is again a costly proposition.

I think for all practical purpose, if you want to use Asus Sage C621 motherboard with dual CPU populated, you really need to design a new chassis.

41 minutes ago, Aryoh said:

somehow this option https://modushop.biz/site/index.php?route=product/product&path=210_273_275&product_id=209 is much better for me, the biggest problem is the back panel because it needs holes for pcie cards and the motherboard itself, but the heatsinks look promising and the front panel can also be used for hdplex 800 dc-atx converter

if you can do all the CAD work for the back panel they will CNC/drill for you at an additional cost. It’s worth if you don’t have the proper tools. I have actually looked at that chassis for a different purpose. 

The internal depth is 360x400mm. Assuming that the Hdplex 800w would fit with the Asus Sage, IMO, it’s a great starting point - if we can start doing the CAD for all the back panel cut outs, PCI attachments and heatsink mounts, it would be a terrific option and cheaper even having them CNC it. Then a group buy can further reduce the price 🙂

Wouldn’t it be good if HDplex themselves come up with a chassis with dual 3647 support ? In that way they will make sure that it supports many different use cases. As Peter said, these things aren’t hard to design, so they might be already working on it, I guess.

17 minutes ago, jabbr said:

I would pick the ASUS 470 (one if them) because the i9-10900k is going to be the chip that most people building new workstations are going to want to use (or ASUS WS 422 if Xeon desired) 

The Xeon equivalent of 1200 is W480. 422 is still 2066.

40 minutes ago, Peter Avgeris said:

We should not worry of the possibility that this thread might go off track. We are all on track. This is why everybody expresses his own opinion. We need to include several options. And end up with a solution that could serve various options. 

If you want to design something that can accommodate most, if not all, nothing like it. Go for it then 👍

38 minutes ago, Peter Avgeris said:

Yes. The purpose is more or less as you write. But here it seems that something new, that might prove as equally interesting in the (near) future, has come to light. How about a single cpu system with this chipset? 

As I informed you, a dual cpu MoBo is on its way to my place. I will have the chance of evaluating single vs dual cpu performance, with the Xeon CPUs of Taiko Audio's machine. Something deep inside my mind tells me that probably this specific motherboard with C621 chipset may perform better with single CPU. 

By the way, this one is what I was looking at earlier if I have to go single CPU, which is also my preference. I would have gotten it by now if H5 supported the 3647 mount. The design is very similar to the raved C621e but more expensive. The biggest benefit is its CEB (12" x 10.9"), so no worries about the DC-DC Atx convertor space inside (at least the smaller 400watt). Also many here uses Euphony and its unknown if further OS optimization would be needed for two socket'ed system (I bet it does) and without root access we are handicapped.  

Design a heatsink mount and many would be golden without going to expensive 2 CPU solution.

https://www.asus.com/us/Commercial-Servers-Workstations/Pro-WS-C621-64L-SAGE