IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server with custom made parts

11 hours ago, Hauser said:

I started with the same idea as you having already used their boxes in a couple of other projects.  After I posted about them, it was pointed out that the heatsinks would not be up to the job.  I checked and the base thickness is only 5mm so when you carve out a 3 or 4mm slot for heatpipes there is not much material left.  I agree they are very versatile with the range of sizes available but not suitable for dealing with much heat.  I am working through making my own case.  The latest obstacle is the Marston heatsinks I ordered have a concave base.  I'm getting Element14 to check whether the Fischer ones are any better.

Martin

I see your point, but I wouldn't count them down and out so quickly. We could easily request thicker stock. 

Besides that, it'd only be a 1-2mm groove, not 3-4mm. The Takachi side panel heatsinks are similar to the Streacom FC10, which handle up to 95W TDP CPUs. If we could use 1 panel/side per CPU, that may be enough. And if not, we could explore thicker panels or copper. 

I am in China now, so I will see if I can source a copper drop-in heatsink replacement for whichever case we end up with. I don't think it'd be too much here, but I could be totally wrong. 

I'm not trying to say I'm the authority on this, but I have used this Streacom FC10 chassis in 4 different builds and it's always delivered effective cooling results. 

As you can see from the internal picture, there is 0% milling into the side panel to improve conduction or heat transfer from heatsink to heat pipes:

fc10-ht4-045-225-s.jpg

The heat pipes have been flattened where they interface with the side panel, riser, and CPU block.

I think milling grooves is cool, but from my experience so far, it seems unnecessary in order to deliver cooling up to 95W TDP.

And since it seems our target CPU's TDP is beyond that, I don't think milling heat pipe grooves into the side panel is the guaranteed approach to gain more heat dissipation capacity. Different material or thicker material is needed. 

It's interesting hashing out ideas while we wait for his real world results, but as Peter just mentioned, no point in letting the cart get ahead of the horse just yet.