IGNORED

Combining wool rug and absorber panels on a wall

Hey everyone,
Recently, I got a new Hifi-System and would like to improve the acoustics in my living room with absorbers and some additional bass traps in the corners.

Mostly, I listen to music while sitting on a sofa, which is placed close to blank wall. (The sofa can not be moved further into the room). This means I get a lot of early reflections which I want to avoid with absorbers.

My girlfriend was not so enthusiastic about the design and look of absorber panels. However, she would be really happy with a particular wool rug on the wall behind the sofa.
I know that rugs can only absorb high frequencies, and thus are not recommended as sound absorbers. Therefore, I was wondering if a combination of the rug with absorber panels would work.

My idea is to place the absorber panels (with a thickness of around 4”/10cm), behind the rug, so that the rug covers the front surface. I assume that the rug would absorb the higher frequencies, while the mid/lower frequencies will go through the wool, and then be absorbed by the panels. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance for advice!  

• 2 months later...

I recently added some acoustic treatment in my listening room.  I can understand almost every word in lyrics as clarity is noticeably improved.  The harshness with some songs is gone, and so I can turn up the music a few decibels without fatigue.  Sibilance in vocals sounds more natural, too.  All this from using just four of the new 12-inch by 24-inch WaveCave Royale foam panels from Auralex behind my speakers and a 93" by 54" cotton blanket on the wall behind my TV, which is between my speakers.

I am thinking about adding a few of the Auralex Venus foam bass traps, which are effective down to 40 hz.

I just noticed that you posted this in May.  I am assuming that you already completed your acoustic room treatment.  Did you get the results you wanted?  What options did you choose?  Did you put panels and the rug behind your speakers?